hard to handle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki.lee

Reaction score
I got a 5ft bredli and from what I was told after I got him, he's a biter. I'm expected to get a bite but still a bit nervous being so big and all. So my question is what gloves will lessen the bite also any tips that will help clam him?? I got told if I turn the heat light off for a bit before I handle him he will be claimer?? I do know the basic don't handle after feed and during shedding

I have 1.5 meter jungle and he is nasty, like really nasty. i use hooks to get him out on the ground and once he goes on the retreat slide one hand under him and slowly lift him up.when he gets a good grip he will calm down but will strike for the face at first then he gets over it.
Do you feed out of enclosure? i have done this since i got him as to not trigger a feeding responce every time i open the door but i think alot of it is just down to personality

Last edited:
give him a little spray with a spray bottle before handling, not before feeding though.
you dont also have another account and give out advice in the form of sticking your hand in the face of an angry scrub , because this post is almost on par with that one , is it you snakelady96 :)

ive had great sucess with this with all my greens, it trains them to know its not feed time and same with other aggresive snakes that think they may be getting a feed. Never had a snake get more aggrivated from doing this. Each to their own if it works it works and it works for me.

well i dont even have to test this one , i know my coastal gets very aggro when i spray him with a spray bottle at shed time so i cant see it being much different normally

hahaha just noticed it "trains them " are you sure you dont have other accounts this is sounding familiar

Last edited:
Any gloves mate i got the same size bredli and he was a cronic bitter few months ago i found he liked windows so i would hook him out put him near the window and then pick up when he was lookin at the window and never bitten me since.. Also wash ya hands.. The cooling down works thats wat most people do when u buy snakes haha old breeders trick i think(i aint a breeder so not 100% sure) but it just makes them not so active. But i wouldnt bother with that its all just time and persistance

you dont also have another account and give out advice in the form of sticking your hand in the face of an angry scrub , because this post is almost on par with that one , is it you snakelady96 :)

I don’t have a clue what you're talking about. Anyhow the point is, this works for me. It's about establishing a routine which they will get used to, when i spray they know it’s not feed time and they calm right down. it’s as if they relate the spray to about to be handled. People will always try to say no that is the wrong way to do it but at the end of the day if it works it works as long as you’re not causing any harm to the snake and my routine works. Exactly the same as someone stated above about feeding in and out of an enclosure because the python learns the routine of when he is being fed and when he is not. In saying this i don't know bredli's maybe they react differently to water? It worked for my jungles and works extremely well for my GTP's. My other snakes are to calm to even worry about. In saying all this im not claiming to be some highly experienced breeder, i have only been keeping snakes seriously for the last 7 years.

Last edited:
Cheap pair of gardening gloves from bunnings will do mate, think about it this way... fang length (f) minus glove thickness (t) = puncture depth (p) f-t=p your going to want t to be >/= f or you will still bleed :)

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah +1 you can even use that alcahol squirt bottle (on your hands, not to spray the bredli) it will get use to the smell withoutt your scent or the scent of rats etc.

The biggest mistake made is grabbing or holding the snake
Your job is to support it
For a 5ft snake Id suggest 2 pillowcases
One on each hand/lower arm
Slide one hand under it and gently lift it out
It may strike but will only hit the cloth anyway
Support it and let it get comfortable on one hand.lower arm
If it looks like striking facewards use the other hand to guide it away gently
Softly gently are the key words
Never try to force it to do anything
Just relax and let it relax too

Every single snake we look after gets touched first time each day with its cloth
They are all so gentle we gets loads of comments about it
With rescues every snake is picked up with cloth where possible
Most never even attempt to bite
I am convinced that its the touch of hot sweaty mammal that triggers most bites

well i dont even have to test this one , i know my coastal gets very aggro when i spray him with a spray bottle at shed time so i cant see it being much different normally

hahaha just noticed it "trains them " are you sure you dont have other accounts this is sounding familiar

Tomassss you do not need to put him down on advice that works for him, personally i give some of my gtps a gentle mist before handling as it does calm them down enough to get them out of the cage.
Also you will find giving your carpet a spray while in shed it will get aggro if this is not done regularly as you will properly startle him/her to cause a defence reaction.

Last edited:

Your posts are very familiar aswell thomasssss. Such a knowledgeable poster. You love helping others by providing some good positive comments. Every thread whether you know what your talking about or not, you just gotta comment. Have you had a previous account?

;)

Try out the spray bottle before getting it out. But use warm water not cold.

Last edited:
i dont post on everythread mr james if i look at what i have posted in it wouldnt even be half (actually not even a quarter) of the threads running , and greenmad i did think it might be a good thing for greens , because they are sprayed everyday , but do you honestly think it would be good to get another species of snake used to spraying everyday just for handling , this would lead to a whole heap of problems from a constant raised humidity that isnt needed in most species, also i only asked if it was snakelady96 as their is a very good chance that it is

Last edited:
i dont post on everythread mr james if i look at what i have posted in it wouldnt even be half (actually not even a quarter) of the threads running , and greenmad i did think it might be a good thing for greens , because they are sprayed everyday , but do you honestly think it would be good to get another species of snake used to spraying everyday just for handling , this would lead to a whole heap of problems from a constant raised humidity that isnt needed in most species, also i only asked if it was snakelady96 as their is a very good chance that it is

Thomasss I dont spray my greens everyday, and i never said that spraying your carpet everyday it would get used to it, what i was meaning was when you spray cold water onto a animal in shed you can startle them. Normally when you startle a shedding animal they will react with aggression or hide. I have some very aggressive greens and this is one way that works well enough to be able to get them from there cage. I have kept many other species that this works on as well. I rarely handle my animals so when i do this is what i do with the aggressive few. And misting any species of python or snake is fine in proportion as it does rain at times outside.

Tomassss you do not need to put him down on advice that works for him, personally i give some of my gtps a gentle mist before handling as it does calm them down enough to get them out of the cage.
Also you will find giving your carpet a spray while in shed it will get aggro if this is not done regularly as you will properly startle him/her to cause a defence reaction.

Thank you Ryan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back