Is this a carpet python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond Intergrade normally have more strips and bigger patterns. Compared to a diamond with little diamond rosettes.

Cheers Jake

You really need to see a lot of Morelia spilota to see the differences, which are sometimes quite subtle. It's hard to put into a few words but put simply MNC intergrades usually have larger rosettes often to the point of becoming blotches, that are often elongate sometimes to the point of becoming stripes, especially a posterior dorsal stripe.
There is also a tendency for the rosettes to be "unclean", in that they are often speckled black within, as can be seen in this specimen, especially anteriorly.
Last but not least, MNC intergrades tend to have what I call 'caramalization' of the background colour. This browning of the yellow specking becomes more apparent the further north you go, until it gives way eventually to the full-blown browning of the Coastal Carpet (Morelia spilota mcdowelli).

I thought that the second picture in the op had elongated rosettes but was confused when quite a few posters were quite adamant that it was a pure diamond. As I said in my earlier post with the picture of my intergrade it is quite noticeable that the rosettes are more of a coastal shape than diamond shape, on some crosses but I have also seen pictures of intergrades that have pretty uniform rosettes. Thanks and I will definitely keep my eyes out for the other subtle differences that you have pointed out.

Last edited:
My pleasure mate. Bear in mind that there's considerable variation and always exceptions.

From the first pic looked like a bredlixdiamond though the secound looks like pure diamond the differnce would be size and marking hard to tell if the snake just moved into your yard or home without knowing the snakes history never know except for very knowagable breeders im not one there a few on this site though

intergrade is it me or do pure diamonds seem to have smaller neater florets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back