Is this a carpet python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a Diamond Pytho[FONT=arial, sans-serif]n, Morelia spilota spilota, does not look like an intergrade caleb96[/FONT]

I own Intergrades mate to me it looked like it was one, it if not Intergrade well Diamond don't have to go thinking you know everything that was just my guess

looks like an awesome yellow diamond. I like these the best out of the diamonds

Hey Op he/ she is a good looker and probs doesn't get into sandal fashion, you should be okay.
Are you concerned he/ she might shift in?

-

Its a Diamond Python, Morelia spilota spilota, does not look like an intergrade caleb96

Can you please explain what the visual differences would be between a pure diamond and coastal/diamond intergrade. I am fairly new to snakes and was under the impression that it would be pretty hard to tell the difference.

Thanks
Andrew

Can you please explain what the visual differences would be between a pure diamond and coastal/diamond intergrade. I am fairly new to snakes and was under the impression that it would be pretty hard to tell the difference.

Thanks
Andrew

Easiest way to help understand the differences would be to google image them. Search for carpet python intergrade or port Macquarie carpet python

This is my baby intergrade. I can clearly see the difference with this one to a pure diamond

Attachments

• IMG_6977.jpg
    IMG_6977.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 111
I actually think Caleb is on the money with this one. Looks very much like 50% of the pythons we get around here, about 25km north of Port Macquarie. A couple of other comments, I wouldn't call it "high yellow" by any stretch of the imagination, even compared to what we get up here, and the Hunter is actually at the very far northern end of the DP range, which we could say goes from around Port Stephens down as far south along the coast as beyond the Victorian border, so smack in the middle of "pure" Diamond country it definitely is not.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think Caleb is on the money with this one. Looks very much like 50% of the pythons we get around here, about 25km north of Port Macquarie. A couple of other comments, I wouldn't call it "high yellow" by any stretch of the imagination, even compared to what we get up here, and the Hunter is actually at the very far northern end of the DP range, which we could say goes from around Port Stephens down as far south along the coast as beyond the Victorian border, so smack in the middle of "pure" Diamond country it definitely is not.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think Caleb is on the money with this one. Looks very much like 50% of the pythons we get around here, about 25km north of Port Macquarie. A couple of other comments, I wouldn't call it "high yellow" by any stretch of the imagination, even compared to what we get up here, and the Hunter is actually at the very far northern end of the DP range, which we could say goes from around Port Stephens down as far south along the coast as beyond the Victorian border, so smack in the middle of "pure" Diamond country it definitely is not. It is well within the Intergrade crossover area.

Jamie

The Diamond Python Morelia spilota spilota
(Lacépède 1804) is a colourful and distinctive
python distributed along the eastern coast of
Australia from East Gippsland north to near Coffs
Harbour in NSW.
I reckon that places the Hunter region pretty close to the heart of their natural range

I actually think Caleb is on the money with this one. Looks very much like 50% of the pythons we get around here, about 25km north of Port Macquarie. A couple of other comments, I wouldn't call it "high yellow" by any stretch of the imagination, even compared to what we get up here, and the Hunter is actually at the very far northern end of the DP range, which we could say goes from around Port Stephens down as far south along the coast as beyond the Victorian border, so smack in the middle of "pure" Diamond country it definitely is not. It is well within the Intergrade crossover area.

Jamie
I agree with Jamie here on all points. This specimen looks like a mid-north coast Morelia spilota intergrade, and a beautiful specimen at that.

Thanks
Andrew
You really need to see a lot of Morelia spilota to see the differences, which are sometimes quite subtle. It's hard to put into a few words but put simply MNC intergrades usually have larger rosettes often to the point of becoming blotches, that are often elongate sometimes to the the point of becoming stripes, especially a posterior dorsal stripe.
There is also a tendency for the rosettes to be "unclean", in that they are often speckled black within, as can be seen in this specimen, especially anteriorly.
Last but not least, MNC intergrades tend to have what I call 'caramelisation' of the background colour. This browning of the yellow specking becomes more apparent the further north you go, until it gives way eventually to the full-blown browning of the Coastal Carpet (Morelia spilota mcdowelli).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back