Makes my blood boil !!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
calling the cops will do nothing at all, and more bad media is not what snakes need!!! best step is to talk to the guy and try to educate him a bit more about snakes...

Reminds me of a story..

My girlfriend and I were on the train one afternoon and sitting behind us was a group of old ladies talking about how one of there sons kills snakes and saying the old phrase "the only good snake is a dead one" so our stop was coming up and I whispered to her "pretend to trip me over when we get up." I opened my bottle of fanta and took the lid off. My girlfriend trips me, I stumble and they get absolutely drenched.

I apologized with my fingers crossed.

there is some sad pathetic people in the world,i was at a snake job today and the guy there was telling me he his neighbour killed two black snakes with a golf club on the weekend when he was at the golf course!! what kind of redneck attacks 2 animals lying in the grass ??
its a sad world

It was just so uneccesary the snake was probably 10 km out of town near a old dam probably been living there for ages and it just takes one hero too destroy all that and for wat so he can tell everyone wat a good deed his done makes me sick

My initial reaction to reading this thread was twofold…
Firstly, getting aggro is not going to help. In fact it is more likely to encourage individuals like that to continue to do likewise again out of pure spite.
Secondly was that the only real solution is education and that is long term. Where keepers and travelling reptile shows can get into schools and provide kids with a positive first experience with snakes, the beneficial effects, in terms of attitudes, can last a lifetime.

But the question of what do you do ‘after the event’ kept going around in my head. There is no single solution but I feel if people have a plan of action, then there is more likelihood of a positive outcome than simply berating the individual. I thought about what I might realistically be able to say and came up with the following points…

• Firstly, ask the person if they are aware they just broke the law and are liable to prosecution. All native animals are protected under the Act and it is an offence to injure, kill or capture any animal. Point out that the ONLY circumstance where a person may legally kill a snake is when there is a clear and direct threat to human life – and that was definitely not the case.
  • By finishing off the snake by hand they have deliberately put themselves in potential danger. 10% of fatal snake bites occur this way and many more are bitten but to medical help in time. It is an absolutely avoidable waste of medical staff, resources and money because it should never happen in the first place.
  • Simply because you think a snake is potentially dangerous and you don’t like them, does not give you the right to kill them. I may not like dogs. There are plenty of dog breeds and crosses that are potentially dangerous, such as Rotties or Pitbulls. That does not give me the right to run one over in the street if it just happens to have escaped from its yard.
  • All native animals have their place in the environment. Not to mention all the feral mice and rats that snake would have consumed. That’s why all native animals are legally protected.
  • If the individual gets stroppy or does not want to listen, just say “I have your licence plate. Would you rather hear this from a departmental officer? I am trying to do the right thing by you at this stage. If you would rather I did not, I can file a complaint with our local office” or words to that effect.

I am well aware there is little chance for success but it’s a better chance than simply giving them spray. I would love to suggest that if all else fails, try knocking their head against the nearest tree trunk until their two neurons begin to function properly again – but not a good idea.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand all of that and all your points are valid, but it's sad too say I think if I rang the police with the rego and told them about the incident it would be forgotten as soon as the phone was hung up and this guy was in his forties Nd set in his ways I think :(

Should have run him over, got out and started bashing him with a piece of wood! See how he likes it :evil:

Poor snakey :( Sadly there isn't much we can do about people like this. If you try to educate them most people will just doze off or forget about because it's only their opinion that matters. I hate people like this.

Reminds me of a story..

My girlfriend and I were on the train one afternoon and sitting behind us was a group of old ladies talking about how one of there sons kills snakes and saying the old phrase "the only good snake is a dead one" so our stop was coming up and I whispered to her "pretend to trip me over when we get up." I opened my bottle of fanta and took the lid off. My girlfriend trips me, I stumble and they get absolutely drenched.

I apologized with my fingers crossed.

Some would say fantaastic:D, think about that for a second.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

If I seen this happen in front of me I would have "not" driven my car straight over him but I would of got out and not have taken out my cricket bat but instead tickled him with feathers until he fell to the ground with laughter and I would have "not" have driven over him whilst leaving but instead just waved and said bye!!!

I understand all of that and all your points are valid, but it's sad too say I think if I rang the police with the rego and told them about the incident it would be forgotten as soon as the phone was hung up and this guy was in his forties Nd set in his ways I think
It is not really a police matter but a Department of Environment responsibility. The department prosecutes individuals caught doing these things.

You are not going to change the values of someone that does that. However, if you seed can the possibility in their mind of being reported and prosecuted, then they may think twice about doing it in public view.

You actually gave me another string to the bow. One should suggest to the person not to take your word for it but to ring the department and ask them if they prosecute such actions.

One is basically bluffing about reporting them, in order to get them to at least listen for a couple of minutes. When all is said and done it is just food for thought, but a suggestion that may have some positive effect. It can be used in whatever circumstances. For example, you could use with he ladies on the train. It just seems a bit more constructive than “What the f… do you think you’re doing a’hole?” or “You are nothing but a low life, scum-sucking bottom dweller – and I’m not talking about a catfish!!!” Then again, maybe I am wrong and a tirade is the way to go???

Blue

all i can wish for people who go out of their way to kill an animal/ reptile that poses them no danger is that the animal/ reptile defends themselves and kills them.

one day karma will get him and he will be bitten, but i bet wen he ends up in emergency he wont say he went out to kill it but that he got out to go to the toilet or was changing a tire and that he was attacked just to make snakes look worse and so he does not get in trouble for deliberatly killing it.

these people make me sick.

Has the department actually ever prosecuted someone for killing a snake?..
I honestly do not know. I would not be surprised if the answer is no. A clever lawyer could probably make a case for a ‘justified reaction’, making it hard for the department to succeed in such a prosecution. Where there is a reduced likelihood of winning, the department would no doubt be loath to proceed with prosecution, given the substantial costs involved.

It is actually irrelevant as to whether they do or don’t, because if you enquire, the Department will still tell you it is a prosecutable offence to injure or kill any native animal and they do prosecute people for these offences.

Blue

Good on you for that amount of restraint. i wouldve beat the living hell out of the guy. shame you didnt get a rego tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back