Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutsman

Reaction score
Hey, I've never owned a reptile before but have always loved the idea of owning a snake, I was wondering what kind of stuff I should be aware of before purchasing one.
I need information such as, which species I should be looking at, where I can get equipment (enclosures food).
I'm not quite sure what kind of species I want yet but id like something around a meter long that wont mind being handled wont be aggressive.
I live in Melbourne so if anyone in that area who knows of any good reptile or pet shops in the area that would be a lot of help

Thanks in advance

Definitely a Childrens Python. I always recommend them as a first snake. Can't go wrong with them. Hit up Ebay for heating and decorations and local pet stores/farming stores for food. Some nice second hand enclosures sometimes come up on Gumtree or just Google enclosure sellers in your area for new and specific styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
A license would be the perfect place to start. Then work out what species you want. Then size, eg hatchie or adult. Then do your research. Then sort out an enclosure. Then find a source to purchase your food from. Then purchase your animal. Then do it all again, 'cause its hard to stop at one!!!!

Spend plenty of time researching your subject, the species, husbandry, anything and everything in between. I cannot stress this enough. Too often, some and I mean some, launch into the big purchase without having done the relevant research etc. only to find not far down the track they r experiencing issues either behavioral, health or other with their new purchase.

The idea of thorough research is to eliminate or reduce the potential issues that may arise.

As far as a first snake, again, open to debate.....to be honest you could throw a blanket over at least half a dozen different species that would ideal as a first off.

Good luck with it.....

Oh and Amazing Amazon, Totally Reptiles are a good start......what area r u from????

Yeah definitely research. Lots of it like the good fellas above me have said. I just didn't mention it cos it's a no brainer to me :)

Spotted, stimsons and childrens are all 1m-ish sized pythons :) Any of these are perfect for beginners as they tolerate handling and are sweet, docile species (pretty gorgeous too!)
Search each one on google images and find which one tickles your fancy.
I highly reccommend Reptiles Direct (A sponser on this site and also on eBay). I always purchase my heating and lighting equipment from there, has no failed me yet! Cheap fake plants from cheap stores make great furnishing as well as soaked/dried branches. Enclosures you can make yourself or buy from reptile sites, ebay, gumtree, reptile stores, etc. Food from local petstores is easiest.

Hit up the search engine on here (top right) and type in [insert your chosen species] caresheet and you will find all the info on your chosen python you will need! Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips, now I have somewhere to start from.
I live around Berwick/Narre South there are a couple of nearby pet shops but I've never been to them

If looking for around a metre in length, any of the Antaresia species (Childrens, Spotted, Stimson) will fit the bill in terms of size, and mostly are well mannered and good choices for 1st timers.

Our first was a Spotted - She has been extremely well behaved, very placid, never bitten and loves being handled by everyone including our children. Like all snakes, you can get a devil, and many will be snappy as youngsters. Regular gentle handling usually quietens the majority of them down (except the odd devil!). Antaresia, being small means that bites when young are barely felt, and even as an adult are not as major as some of the larger species.

If getting a hatchy your first and easiest enclosure would be a 7 litre Sistema brand tub from Coles or Woolies (around $9) with some ventilation holes in the lid (look around this site for examples). Put a 14w heat matt on top so that 1/3 of the tub is over the mat, add a simple switching thermostat and for around $50 you have an enclosure big enough to house an Antaresia for the first 12 months of its life. Don't be fooled by pet stores who will tell you that you need every piece of equipment under the sun! Ask questions on sites like this one - there is plenty of advice around.

Use this first 6-8 months to research and learn about what type of permanent enclosure you might like for your snake once it gets older - gives you time to look for what you know you want, rather than what you think you may want. Also buys you time for something to your liking to come up at the right price - or even tackle a DIY job on an old TV or entertainment unit conversion (we often scout the charity stores and see good cheap cabinets that would be able to be converted for minimal $$).

Having the Sistema tub and mat will never be a waste......This will be unlikely to be your first snake (if you are like most of us you will become addicted and get more!!) so you will have a spare 'click clack' at the ready for one of your next snakes.

Hope this has provided a little insight.

My first was a spotted. He was bitey and had feeding difficulties. I would recommend a woma over a spotted for a first timer any day.

My first was an adult spotted python. Excellent temperament as an adult, the breeder explained to me that babies/juveniles of any breed are more bitey than adults. He told me the most common way to get bitten is putting your hand in their enclosure to pick them up, and they mistaken you for food, so I bought a hook to pick him up just in case, because I was afraid of being bitten at first. He's so placid though, that I don't need to worry about using the hook, he's never even tried to have a go at me.

Started with a Stimson. He is a very placid snake although can get fussy on the food from time to time and they are most active at night time, or atleast our is.

Have since added a Woma (advanced licence required in Victoria and therefore you will need to buy one from a breeder direct) who is a very different animal. Again very calm but also curious - whenever someone approaches the enclosure she will pop her head out to see whats happening - most probably to determine if you're edible or not.

Depending on the local Womas dont get too big - approx 1.5m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While everyone recommending Antaresia (while there is nothing wrong with them) I greatly prefer carpets. Carpets like Bredli or Murray Darling are great choices as well. I just find childrens/spotted/Stimson quite boring.[h=3][/h]

Womas are great first timers. Just make sur you have all equipment ready and in working order suitable for the snake of your choice before you pick up the critter

Anything on a basic licence should be fine. Woma's are great, but then so are a lot of others. Just be prepared to take a bite as you learn to read your snake. It doesn't really matter what you get just so long as you do your research first. IMO pythons are one of the easiest animals to keep :)

Well you have made the right first step to start with by getting on here and asking for advice, far too many people go out like a bull in a china shop and get their license followed immediately by the first snake that catches their eye, then come on here and ask how to correct all the bad husbandry issues that have caused stress and feeding issues as well as a multitude of housing problems, i will not get into what you should be and not be doing as there are far more intelligent people here than me to do that, i will just congratulate you on your forethought for coming in here and asking first, these guys are the best there is in this hobby and it will put you in good stead to take on board what they have to say, +1 from me for taking this option :) :) ..................................Ron

Woma's are on an advanced license here in Vic. At least i think they still are!

I am not sure that a woma is such a good idea for a first snake with their feeding response. Might be a little easy for a first timer to overfeed a woma and also I think possibly easy to be bitten and put off by a hungry woma even though it doesn't really hurt it could be off putting for a first timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back