My hatchie is avoiding his hot spot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My brand new hatchy doin the same. He just hangs in the trees on the cool side or the hide and completely avoids the warm spot. Should I put a light for the cool side or leave it? He also hangs in the tree above the heat spot.

It may be that the air temps are too cold - you have a big vent right across the bottom of the enclosure, and if the top is mesh, then all your ambient heat will be going straight out of the enclosure. I'd cover the top with something to prevent the air from getting out, and cover about 2/3 of the vent across the bottom with cardboard or something similar. At the very least cover the bottom vent by at least 2/3.

Jamie

It may be that the air temps are too cold - you have a big vent right across the bottom of the enclosure, and if the top is mesh, then all your ambient heat will be going straight out of the enclosure. I'd cover the top with something to prevent the air from getting out, and cover about 2/3 of the vent across the bottom with cardboard or something similar. At the very least cover the bottom vent by at least 2/3.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

I have a piece of corrugated cardboard that covers the top, I just removed it for the photo :) I will make something to the cover the majority of the side vent though.
Thanks for the advice

Jamie

This is most likely in my opinion. The ambient temps are just as important as the basking temps when trying to stop a snake from brumating. If Jamie's idea doesn't sort it out a bit of low wattage cord under the cool end will help up the ambient temp. I keep all my hatchlings in tubs at this time of year inside an enclosed rack with minimal ventilation. By having the rack enclosed the air around the tubs stays a few degrees higher than the outside air.

It is winter, and as it may not be getting cooler in your house snakes have an internal body clock and they know that it is winter. They will heat up when they want to, either they want to eat or they just feel like it. They may also sit on the heat for a couple of days after to digest then back to the cool side to relax, and it all starts again :D
sounds reasonable, kinda strange though considering that i was under the impression they preferred to keep warm if the option was there, i wasn't aware snakes would willingly go cold when the colder months came along, i do wonder if it's the temps here too though, in cairns the minimum temps most this winter have been 19-20, there was one week where it was as low at 10 in the morning but back to 20 as a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back