Enclosure Internals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeWrangler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am going to get all the internals for my enclosure(s) today and I want your opinion on what brand/type of each thing to get. So can you give me the details as precise as possible so I can use that info to get the same stuff, I am going to get the stuff that is being used by most members who answer this.

I really just want to know what type and brand for each of the following:

Heat Source + Protective Covering
Day Light
Night Light
UV (if recommended for coastals)
Thermostat

Also, could you give me your opinion about keeping two snakes of the same species, male/female together, basically just if you think its good or bad, I am not wanting to get a big debate going (will happen, I can feel it :)), just want to know if I should build 1 or 2 enclosures. I do plan on giving breeding a go either when my two are old/big enough or buying a breeding pair in a year or two.

Thanks.

Radiant heat panel, no cover.
No day light
No night light
No UV
Imit stat
I never ever ever ever ever ever keep snakes together. It's just not worth the risk.

But snakes live together in nests in the wild dont they Magpie? Im sure people have told me this.
Do they make their nest out of twigs?

The ones out here make their nests out of barbed wire they are so tough.
lol, snakes also eat rodents that have been poisoned in the wild, doesn't mean I'm gonna feed my rats ratsak.

how are those heat panels goin magpie?? in the process of changing over to them myself in all of my enclosures

Heat panels definately worth a try. I've made three now and they work like a charm.

G

Graham, how can you make a heat panel? and how big? are they good for enclosure floors or only for sides?

instar, they arnt expensive to buy and are fully wired (to australian safety standards) ready to go sometimes it it better for peace of mind to buy rather then make.

But if you did want to make them i am assuming that some type of heat cord secured between two tiles would do the trick for you

thanks Stockeh, how much are they to buy? i need one about 2.5ft x 1.5ft, do they have a biult in thermostat or will i need a separate one?

OH, and while we are on the subject, has anyone used those heating cords for smaller enclosures or incubating? what is your take on it.

~Nome :)

Instar, they dont have a built in thermostat but do have a plug on them to enable you to plug them into a probe thermostat (either that or cut off the plug and use on any thermostat)

nome, the heat panels are fully set up no need for additions the knobs under the acc. tab are for the probe thermostat. Also with the heat cords i use them curled up under a rock (heaps cheaper then a heat rock) and i also use one on a proportionat thermostat in a small incubator i have.

Hope this answeres the questions
Take care guys
Matt

Thanks stockeh, just really wanted to know if they were ok on floors, (guess not, too hot) having trouble finding a big enough heatmat(built in thermo) for my cabinet. Cheers.

use heat tape mate (flexible heating element) you can get it in different lengths and can buy it by the metre

and yes too hot for floors but perfect for walls and roof mounting (mount with velcro) very easy

either way works but it is thin so if you cover it with your substrate you wont even know it is there

big debate over this topic, diamonds do everyone agrees on that but i also think that it is greatly benificial to all pythons, the way i see it is they are exposed to it in the wild so give it to them in captivity.

They cant overdose on it so i say supply it just incase better to be safe then sorry

take care
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back