is it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont consider it cruel if their needs are met. I consider it cruel if they are neglected.

I've never felt guilty putting reptiles in small enclosures as i believe confined spaces makes many of them feel more secure. Reptiles have home ranges in the wild but many may not travel far in their entire lives. As an example, Cunningham Skinks and Black Rock skinks (which live in colonies) most likely occupy a select few rock crevices for life. Dominant wild male Water Dragons can be found basking on their favourite creek bank year after year, and i'd imagine it's the same for all species in one way or another. Even lizards kept in pits tend to favour certain areas within the pit and will stick to those areas. Many wild snakes can stay hidden under debris, in hollow logs etc for weeks throughout the year so i dont think confined spaces are really a problem for them.

Also, although i think reptiles can be quite intelligent, i would imagine that captive reptiles just dont have the intellect to realise that they are caged from the big wide world out there, and just except the environment that their owners have given them.

In a way I think it's not a bad debate. We've often thought of it ourselves, and I guess in a way that's why we don't like handling ours.

ST put it well....they don't have the interlect to think 'im missing something here'. The times I think it is cruel (in my opinion and don't flame me for it) is when people always want to be walking around with a snake on them, as though they are something that's a domestic pet when they certainly are not. People say their snake doesn't mind it, but how do they know? And when they are taken out of their enclosures for long periods of time and dont' have the opportunity to regulate their own temperature at these times of the year.

It is a very personal thing...I'm after a particular species of snake at the moment where it looks like the only way I can get one is if it is legally caught for me. I turned this down because I don't feel it's my right to decide something doesn't have freedom anymore just because I want it in my collection...to me that is cruel, but many others don't think it is, so it is a very personal thing.

And on top of all that, you can keep any pet in a way that is cruel if it is not kept properly, there is a proportion of people in this hobby that don't keep their reptiles properly- things like buying the animal and not having anything set up to keep it in, not providing it with the basics such as heat etc.

You said only murderers get life in prison, well correct me if I'm wrong but all snakes are murderers if given the chance are they not? :lol: You say that most pythons bite when handled but I think you'll find that its their instinct to bite, if they don't they soon die of starvation. Besides not all of us handle our pythons frequently and stress them out (not that I'm saying frequent handling stresses them)

I think you'll find that only about 0.1 to 10 percent (very rough estimation) of wild animals survive to maturity so we are giving them a much better chance, most breders would say they have 90 to 99 percent survival rates I think.

You say dogs and cats aren't kept in cages, fair enough, but a lot of pets are, like birds, fish, rats, mice, guinea pigs, etc. and I'think you'll find that most pythons spend a fair chunk of their lives in confined spaces, they seem to find confined spaces comfortable and safe. If you give it a nice big enclosure with a tight fitting hiding place, it will spend most of its time in the hiding place.

Thanks guys, you have made sense, im still thinking about getting a snake, guess i was just feeling a bit guilty about keeping it in a enclosure, when naturally they have freedom?

I think Supertaipan has raised a great question here.

Yes i think it's cruel to keep reptiles in captivity, it's something i struggle with regularly.
I think it's cruel to keep any animal for your personal pleasure, and like it or not that is the base reason that we keep reptiles.

You can say anything you want about how reptiles get it easy in captivity or how not many survive to maturity etc, those points are irrelevant because thats nature, thats how it should be no matter how tough.

It is cruel IMO to keep reptiles in captivity we as keepers should try and make their lives as good as possible, i like to only buy CB reptiles, i also personally try and sell any reptiles i breed cheaper than the going rate so that people can get could quality animals for a reasonable price without buying WC.
All you can do is your best to provide for your animals.

It's a tough situation for us to be in, it doesn't bother some people, but it does get to me at times.

Nome said:
In a way I think it's not a bad debate. We've often thought of it ourselves, and I guess in a way that's why we don't like handling ours.

ST put it well....they don't have the interlect to think 'im missing something here'. The times I think it is cruel (in my opinion and don't flame me for it) is when people always want to be walking around with a snake on them, as though they are something that's a domestic pet when they certainly are not. People say their snake doesn't mind it, but how do they know? And when they are taken out of their enclosures for long periods of time and dont' have the opportunity to regulate their own temperature at these times of the year.

It is a very personal thing...I'm after a particular species of snake at the moment where it looks like the only way I can get one is if it is legally caught for me. I turned this down because I don't feel it's my right to decide something doesn't have freedom anymore just because I want it in my collection...to me that is cruel, but many others don't think it is, so it is a very personal thing.

And on top of all that, you can keep any pet in a way that is cruel if it is not kept properly, there is a proportion of people in this hobby that don't keep their reptiles properly- things like buying the animal and not having anything set up to keep it in, not providing it with the basics such as heat etc.

Flame, flame, flame he he he

cats are supposed to be locked up at night and a lot of dogs are chained up ,birds kept in very small cages shall i go on .if you want to push animal cruelty do it properly not selectivly .i would applaud you if you did but you have selected one animal and excusing the rest.Someone has to say it you sir are an IDIOT

adj 1: lacking or showing kindness or compassion or mercy [syn: unkind] 2: (of persons or their actions) able or disposed to inflict pain or suffering; "a barbarous crime"; "brutal beatings"; "cruel tortures";
dictionary definition,=cruel
either you are a cruel keeper or you are not,
a great question i think ,cant be anwered unless you can teach a snake to talk ..i struggle with it myself, especially when i see them trying to get out and rubbing noses on their 'cages'especially the more intelligent animals,ie. monitors
baz

Read it properly ,i said you were an idiot .The question is old but still a good one for discussion.Obviously you have a very short sighted view on animal cruelty

repam, this is a reptile forum, where else would he raise the question........and you call him an idiot :roll:

Lets all get a creative hobby that is not cruel to any living thing.
Anyone want to start an origami forum :lol:

Well it isn't silly to think it may be cruel to keep snakes, it is only silly to think it is cruel to keep snakes but not cruel to keep other animals, dogs would wander for kilometres if allowed to, yet they are chained up or locked in small backyards and most owners don't even walk their dogs on a daily basis. Birds fly for kilometres yet we lock them up in little cages, birds which are often very social, sometimes living in large flocks(for example Budgerigahs) yet people keep them in solitary confinement. So really in a way reptiles are more suited to captivity than most popular pets, so if you want a pet but want the one that is least cruel to keep then get a snake.

Supertaipan, you have already made your mind up that it is a cruel practise by arguing with everyone that shares a differing opinion than your own. So now that we have concluded the correct answer for you, will you be leaving the site & the hobby to fullfill another hobby you may enjoy without guilt?

Same thing people can't think it's not cruel to keep snakes but not other animals.
It's cruel IMO to keep any non domesticated animal in captivity, but this is about reptiles thats the question being asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back