is it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Guys, i know most of you look after your snakes really well, but is it the same as living in the wild or better for them, im not been god here, just interested?

this topic or something like this has came up before.
it is better for the ones that are kepted in captivity as the wild one might only get a couple of feeds a year.
so now i would say it is up to u to work the rest out for ur self.

I think reptiles are more well of in captivity because they are free from predators, competition and extreme conditions in the environment. In terms of cage size I think it is cruel, before I get burnt for this eg: "why do you keep reptiles then?" (have a go at me if you want I don't really care), I do try and make my animals lives more interesting by - housing lizards in large outdoor enclosures, changing cage furniture around and swapping logs and leaves etc to give them new smells and things to investigate, also I take my reptiles out for walks outside their enclosures. All of these things tend to make most of my animals more active and alert and happy, so I will keep doing them as long as they don't get stressed. JMO

is it cruel to keep cats dogs birds fish any animal its a matter of opinion

repam

Supertaipan said:
generally only murderers get life imprisonment?
I guess you don't keep them??

I guess I have to ask, why ask this question on a reptile site?? Do you honestly think you will find someone who is going to say yes??

i dont expect a yes answer, but to compare dogs and cats to reptiles is silly, they are not kept in cages, if they were they would be reported to the rspca?

Well do you keep the snakes for your own selfish reasons, do you think the snakes like being locked up all there lives?????

keeping reptiles in appropriate enclosures would appear to be less''cruel'' than keeping birds in cages. some reptiles may appear to be happier in a more enclosed space. perhaps they are more psychologically adapted to captivity than birds?

[sarcasm]
I think it is downright cruel to keep wild animals in a wooden box. Reptiles or otherwise it is just not right for people to have pets.

Therefore I have drilled a hole in my Turtles carapace and tied it to a long length of thin rope. Now he has free run of the entire backyard.
[/sarcasm]

Oh so you can tell that the reptile is happy, from what ive read on here most snakes bite, maybe they dont like been locked in a cage day and night?

Do you keep any herps Super??

Sorry J and C....that's just not good enough, the backyard is far too small :lol: . Pass me the popcorn someone....this is going to be painful :twisted:

Supertaipan said:
Well do you keep the snakes for your own selfish reasons, do you think the snakes like being locked up all there lives?????

Yes i keep snakes and other herps because i like them.

What are you hoping to get out of this thread? This is a dead end topic and it would appear to me that you are trying to start an argument or just trying to bump up your post count.

Just wondering, i know everyone will say no cos they either keep or breed them, but its worth some debate?

You have answered your own question quite well here.

JandC_Reptiles said:
[sarcasm]
I think it is downright cruel to keep wild animals in a wooden box. Reptiles or otherwise it is just not right for people to have pets.

Therefore I have drilled a hole in my Turtles carapace and tied it to a long length of thin rope. Now he has free run of the entire backyard.
[/sarcasm]

good maybe they will appreciate that, snakes on leads anyone? :)

That's news to me, I have maybe 3 that bite occassionally.

Supertaipan said:
, from what ive read on here most snakes bite,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back