Light cages or not to light cage..that is the question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The snake burn poll

• I didnt/dont use light covers and have had a snake burnt from the bulb.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I do use light covers and have had a snake die by getting into the light cover.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont use light covers ( for less then 5 years ) and have had no problems regarding bulb burns.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I dont use light covers ( for more then 5 years )and have had no problems regarding bulb burns.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I do use light covers.

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more
Ive done a few searches and try as I might I cant seem to find any snakes that have actually got burnt from wrapping around their light globes.

This thread is to find people who have had this negative experience.

Its also to find out wether your a light cover on or off person and why.

I ask people to say why they do or dont from their experience only, NOT from what they have been reading or been told from books etc. As we have all heard the we must cover our light bulbs a million times and why.
I want proof.

No flamers.

Last edited:
You need to be careful not to send out the wrong message about light cages.

I use them with alot of Morelia, however I know a couple breeders that have been in the game for more than 10 years that don't use them with mostly Aspedities and some Morelia and have had no problems at all.

In QLD we can get away with using frosted light bulbs throughout winter, however keepers in the southern states may need to use something with a bit more punch and I would definitely recommend light cages. (just my opinion)

Last edited:
I had a baby old mcdowelli wrap herself around a light and suffer nasty light burns.

I had a Bredli climb up around the basking lamp and pull it out, exposing live wires.

I now use light cages.

In the photo, taken a year after the burns, you can see the residual scarring on the coil to the right, in the black and white damage and in the coil to the underneath. Healing was a long painful process. :(

Attachments

• agrochain09cr (Medium).jpg
    agrochain09cr (Medium).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 177
I've had a Bredli burn quite severely but recovered. It now has a substantial scar. Have you ever seen a Blackhead of 5.5kg, 9ft, coil around a trio of lights and squeeze. The result wasn't burns (as lights were off) but 3 batten holders crushed exposing live wires, smashed globes everywhere. Luckily I was in my herp room to remove him before he was damaged.

I use them for everything except my blackheads, but now I'm having some strong ones made.

I now will use them for everything.

Yes i will use them as i think it is better to be safe than sorry.

Cameron

I use them for everything and go for bought ones. If they don't look and feel sturdy I won't use them. I also use screws rather then velcro to hold them in place, slight inconvenience but again it removes the risk of them being torn off (or worse partially torn off).

I think a more important issue is how these are fitted as they can quite easily become death traps.

Good points JungleRob.

Wow hazzard thats pretty full on. I can see why you use them.
I was starting to think the main concern was with hatchies burning themselves as they arent so 'used' to their cage environment. however your aduult proved other concerns are still in the offing.

Wrasse..good to see hes healed at least poor wee fella. I use wire holders to attatch the wire to the cage so they cant use it to climb on....to pull them out would be a concern.

Chimera.....Velcro.....surely not...i would be telling the store that sells them their no good and why...ridiculous. Surely theres an authority that you can go to about that crazy invention.

i dont use them at all , dont need to, ive given up the old dinosaur style heating and now only use heat panels.
cheers Matt

I use them for all, and fitted properly i cant see how a snake could get inside one.

Donk

i done even use lights, it heat cord or nothing since i only keep coastals they go well without heating here

There are a few breeders that claim to have never had any problems with burns from not using cages, but I honestly find it hard to believe. every snake given the opportunity will climb. Hazzards BHPs is a prime example. IMO, it's not worth the risk of burning your animal. Vet costs will be a lot more than a light cage and you also won't have a badly scarred snake.

it i snot worth the risk of not using them :) better to be safer than very sorry isnt it?

Use cages for the sake of a few dollars as camo said "I think it is better to be safe than sorry".

I use ceramic heat emitters and have a cage/cover around them.
If your unsure because of the price of light cages then improvise ...I bought a colander from Woolworths for $3.99 and it fits around the heater perfectly, whereas the proper light cages sold in my area are mostly designed for light bulbs and were an incorrect shape for the heaters. The colander also fits flush with the enclosure roof so there is no chance of entering the cage and getting trapped.

I think we have prolly all read about the snake the other day being caught in the light cage...From what ive red and seen unless the cover physically breaks (as in that case) or isn't attached properly or the holes are just plain to big, then light covers are the way to go...I use them on my lights and havent had any probs, but its all too easy for them to burn themselves on a light, on the other hand, if the correct and good light cage is used it will take more effort for the snake and therefore lower risk to actually break it and get hurt...JMO though...

Regards...
Ash...

i got a light cover when i went from blue globes to the ceramic heat emitting globe, i didn't have a cage over the UV until i noticed my coastal carpet 'sitting' on it... i made sure the holes weren't big enough for him to fit through...

I don't use lights for pythons, never have, never will.
But.... I've heard of at least 3 pythons dying in light cages.
And I reckon I've heard of about 3 pythons being burned from not using them.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back