Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a pedigree Ragdoll cat a few years ago, and I made her live indoors 24/7. I hate the fact that cats kill. I've also got a moggy who lives at my Dad's place, and she kills the occasional field mouse and the odd gecko or bird too. If it were legal for me to humanely kill her I probably would, I'd really like to get rid of her to be honest.

Dogs can be real killing machines too, though it's not particularly common. My partner's Siberian Husky will kill anything he has the opportunity to - pidgeons, possums, other birds and small mammals etc. In fact he even killed a neighbour's pet cat once. I hate it, but what can you do? Lock him inside 24/7? Make him wear a bell? :shock:

Actually I'm serious about that question, what can you do to stop a dog from killing things? :|

not being mean
but you get the dog put down

once it has killed and had fresh blood if it were mine no matter how much i love it if it killed ANYTHING i would simply walk out the back with tears in my eyes and put it down quick and painless

as i wouldnt be able to trust it around any other animal let alone a small child

my opinion anyways

also in regards to cats as im getting tired reading every page
if it is as it has been pointed out a "feral" cat i see no harm in getting rid of it
if it is a pet and you know the owners give them a warning if its on your property again you will put it down
in the past 2 weeks i have put down 4 cats alone yes i was legally allowed to before anyone starts

i love cats since i was 1 year old ive had a pet cat lol no its not still alive but ive always had a cat around me all my life so dont htink im some cat hater

all of this is my own opinion

Sorry if this has been posted. I didn't read past page 2 lol.

I know bunnies make good meals:
[video=youtube;IbATobeNkzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbATobeNkzA[/video]

jeramie85 there is something seriously wrong with your logic. Im getting really disappointed with alot of members on this site and their so called "morals". If your dog killed an animal, you'd kill it? What the hell, honestly? You cant love it too much. Does it depend on the actual animal it killed or does it depend on whether your in a good mood that day? Seriously get real. A frog or lizard is different to a small child. You will find majority of dogs will kill anything guinea pig size and smaller, its in their nature. A small 9inch high cat or a guinea pig is a little different to a 2ft child. They are accustomed to people. Of course if they see a strange animal in their yard, most dogs would chase it down, they are not accustomed to it, its a game to them, and most small animals look like the toys WE give them. Half of the breeds out there today have it trained in them to hunt down animals - gee whos doing is that - eg, fox hunting, police dogs, jack russells catching mice.rats and many more. Youve put down 4 cats in the last 2 wks? Thats just sick, do you get happiness out of it or something? Go and tell little 5yr old Mary next door that you shot her beloved cat. Would you shoot a python if it ate a domesticated pet? - Didnt think so. Honestly if thats your logic, dont ever buy a dog or cat, EVER, thats just sick...

Last edited:
Let me ask you people this. Would you feed central blue tongues and pygmy bearded dragons, and knobtail geckos to your snake? Didnt think so. Just because some sickos out there eat cats and dogs.. doesnt mean we have to, nor our snakes. No true blue aussie would. So honestly get your minds out the gutter please people, cats are friends/pets, not food.
Well i would actually feed them to me animals if they were cheap enough too. Aslong as its bread for the purpose of food (and im not attached to the thing) i would. Same goes for a cat....if they're bred for that purpose (and frozen, couldnt stand to put anything to death except 4 feral animals..) then what the heck.

The only thing i couldnt stand to feed to an animal is a dog (or human:p) (except then lil yip yip dogs...) cause we all know dogs rule:D plus MOST dog puppies tend to be a little big to feed to most snakes.....but give me a frozen yip yip dog and i would:evil:

i'm with jeramie85, if the dog is that inclined to kill a child could be next, also i have no probs with people feeding cats to their snakes, they are in introduced pest, as long as they are not someones pet and killed humanely its all fine

I hate to say it, but I agree with sxc_celly there. We have small dogs which kill mice (encouraged) often and the occasional rat or bird. I wouldn't put them down for it, I just wouldn't leave them unattended with a small child. But then again I wouldn't leave a small child unattended with any dog I don't think, or cat, snake, rat, etc either for that matter.

that guys cat wasnt juts killing mice, it was killing all sorts of things and it killed the next dorr neighbours cat, a small child is about the same size

Spot on Rennie!! Thank You. Small children should NEVER be unsupervised with any animal, dog, snake or guinea pig! Theres a BIG difference between a cat and a child. I think most dogs can tell the difference between them, otherwise theyd be obeying cats, and playing fetch with cats instead of your toddler. Cats hiss, scream, and play chase, kiddies dont, huge difference. Shouldnt be unsupervised anyway!

jeramie85 there is something seriously wrong with your logic. Im getting really disappointed with alot of members on this site and their so called "morals". If your dog killed an animal, you'd kill it? What the hell, honestly? You cant love it too much. Does it depend on the actual animal it killed or does it depend on whether your in a good mood that day? Seriously get real. A frog or lizard is different to a small child. You will find majority of dogs will kill anything guinea pig size and smaller, its in their nature. A small 9inch high cat or a guinea pig is a little different to a 2ft child. They are accustomed to people. Of course if they see a strange animal in their yard, most dogs would chase it down, they are not accustomed to it, its a game to them, and most small animals look like the toys WE give them. Half of the breeds out there today have it trained in them to hunt down animals - gee whos doing is that - eg, fox hunting, police dogs, jack russells catching mice.rats and many more. Youve put down 4 cats in the last 2 wks? Thats just sick, do you get happiness out of it or something? Go and tell little 5yr old Mary next door that you shot her beloved cat. Would you shoot a python if it ate a domesticated pet? - Didnt think so. Honestly if thats your logic, dont ever buy a dog or cat, EVER, thats just sick...

G'day sxc_celly,

I am not one to descend into Internet arguments, but I was just wondering whether you have actually read any posts that have been made in this thread? Nearly every point you have used in your post has already been rebutted by both myself and Sdaji. If my love for the wellbeing of native wildlife outweighs that of the wellbeing for introduced animals, than I am glad that my "morals" disappoint yourself and others.

Cheers,

Jonno

Some further information -

Part 1 [video=youtube;bd8wB0SjI3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8wB0SjI3c[/video]
Part 2 [video=youtube;QK16dr34eIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK16dr34eIw[/video]
Part 3 [video=youtube;wISzYNfVisY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wISzYNfVisY[/video]
Part 4 [video=youtube;zqK0E9YtkZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqK0E9YtkZg[/video]
Part 5 [video=youtube;3eIjKg4Wox8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIjKg4Wox8[/video]
Part 6 [video=youtube;F_B0CLDPwBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_B0CLDPwBo[/video]

Pay particular attention around the four minute mark of part four.

Spot on Rennie!! Thank You. Small children should NEVER be unsupervised with any animal, dog, snake or guinea pig! Theres a BIG difference between a cat and a child. I think most dogs can tell the difference between them, otherwise theyd be obeying cats, and playing fetch with cats instead of your toddler. Cats hiss, scream, and play chase, kiddies dont, huge difference. Shouldnt be unsupervised anyway!
Do you know what you're talking about, what the hell? Honestly no, i didn't think so and i'm very disappointed. Seriously get real thats just sick

So, how about that little old lady that was killed by her beloved rescue dogs recently...

Pity she wasn't a child, she might have been supervised then.

I love this thread :D

Hullo everyone, just got my comp back from the hospital and what a top thread to come back to.
My neighbours cats have killed sugar gliders, baby possums, my kids dwarf rabbits, bluey's and top notch pigeons and rosellas here in my backyard. I love my native wildlife and my kids pets, and these cats just keep killing them. Their owners don't know because they leave them in my yard for me and my kids to find.
YES, as soon as my pythons are of a good size i am going to feed them all a cat!!
I can't wait actually, Aussie justice will prevail. I hate cats, i had two as pets when i was a kid and watched how they hunted and killed and played with half dead animals for half an hour or more, and they were well fed cats, not looking for food.
So if you love your cat good for you, i respect that, but don't let it come in my yard.

Hullo everyone, just got my comp back from the hospital and what a top thread to come back to.
My neighbours cats have killed sugar gliders, baby possums, my kids dwarf rabbits, bluey's and top notch pigeons and rosellas here in my backyard. I love my native wildlife and my kids pets, and these cats just keep killing them. Their owners don't know because they leave them in my yard for me and my kids to find.
YES, as soon as my pythons are of a good size i am going to feed them all a cat!!
I can't wait actually, Aussie justice will prevail. I hate cats, i had two as pets when i was a kid and watched how they hunted and killed and played with half dead animals for half an hour or more, and they were well fed cats, not looking for food.
So if you love your cat good for you, i respect that, but don't let it come in my yard.

damn straight!!!

Thats just sick, do you get happiness out of it or something? Go and tell little 5yr old Mary next door that you shot her beloved cat.

why would we tell someone we shot their cat? we would get in trouble, just take it down to the bush and let the foxes take care of it :lol:

I saw this doco on animal planet the other week. Was a really good show.

Celly

You should really watch this doco it gives really good unbiased information on what you are arguing.

considering so many cats/kittens get put down anyway, it seems a terrible waste not to use them as food.
i couldnt personally kill someones pet cat, but if i could buy frozen kittens from a petshop i think they'd be healthy low fat choice of snake food.

if cat owners desexed thier cats and kept them indoors they wouldnt have to worry about people who condiser them part of the food chain.

i'd have more of a problem feeding a cute cuddly bunny to a snake than a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back