Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
saximus - chamleon -i was offered one not long ago - to swap for a 1 year old scrubbie - you know what i said NO !! i wanted it but one animal over my entire collection is a big price to pay fines and loss of licence
Good point.........ggggrrrr bloody laws ;)

is that because you have them ???

Wink

... And like Kman says, they are ubiquitous, seriously, but google it, people have been fined huge amounts of money when they were caught with just a few king or corn snakes. You can debate the law's merits all day, but if you get caught you will pay.

Such a shame. I can understand why but still their really cool.

Wink

... And like Kman says, they are ubiquitous, seriously, but google it, people have been fined huge amounts of money when they were caught with just a few king or corn snakes. You can debate the law's merits all day, but if you get caught you will pay.

Haha huge fines, I don't call a couple 1000 $ huge.

See if you can scam them lol.
Tell them you need some money first to finalize papers etc. which will be reimbursed.
Scamming/annoying scammers is so much fun :)

;) i would love to have one but i wouldnt want to lose what i have for it......i might have to um.......wait a bit lol

Good point.........ggggrrrr bloody laws ;)
There are there are 2 types of people, the licenced reptile keepers and they unlicenced keepers who keep natives and exotics and what ever else they please cause if u dont have a licence why would national parks ever knock on ur door.
I mean ive had my licence and reptiles for 10 or so years and today i got fluro lights that next door where throwing out and they asked what i was going to do with them and i said il use them in reptile cages etc.......they had no idea i kept reptiles, turns out light was from there old blue tongue tank.....you dont know what people keep unless they tell u.
Im yet to meet a licenced reptile keeper who also has exotics.....so i think ur either one or the other.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who never get caught of course, the majority in fact. But then there are those that do. Dobbed in by neighbours, unlucky for some other reason, who knows.

Maybe you are rolling in it Gillsy, but I don't wanna lose my legit reptiles and pay a few grand, plus lose the animals in question. But if you consider that acceptable, where are yours? ;)

Maybe you are rolling in it Gillsy, but I don't wanna lose my legit reptiles and pay a few grand, plus lose the animals in question. But if you consider that acceptable, where are yours? ;)

Do you know of a single time someone has lost their legal collection over smuggling charges? I can think of cases were they were able to keep their collection and license!

Not smuggling, having the reptile. Again, it's the risk, not a certain knowledge of the outcome. They were still fined I would assume?

Seems I have been misinformed, and that it's actually no big deal to have exotics, or that the consequences of them being discovered are manageable to those posting.

I can be discreet, please PM me, I'd love to have a gander at your collections :)

There are there are 2 types of people, the licenced reptile keepers and they unlicenced keepers who keep natives and exotics and what ever else they please cause if u dont have a licence why would national parks ever knock on ur door.
I mean ive had my licence and reptiles for 10 or so years and today i got fluro lights that next door where throwing out and they asked what i was going to do with them and i said il use them in reptile cages etc.......they had no idea i kept reptiles, turns out light was from there old blue tongue tank.....you dont know what people keep unless they tell u.
Im yet to meet a licenced reptile keeper who also has exotics.....so i think ur either one or the other.

I have known of people with both, but NSW is very lax on inspections hence why they do, victoria another story.

Do you know of a single time someone has lost their legal collection over smuggling charges? I can think of cases were they were able to keep their collection and license!

Completely agree, with you Australis. People think there are these huge fines and loss of collections etc, people are unrealistic, there was a guy caught smuggling greens and got to keep everything that was licensed.

Just thought Id second that exotics are everywhere in Australia ! I havent been into Reptiles long and already have seen as many exotics as natives.And I mean Everywhere eg.
A couple have been charged after police netted more than $1.5 million in cash, drugs and reptiles during separate raids at ##### yesterday afternoon.
Members of the ######### drug unit uncovered $10,000 in cash, an at thie stage unknown quantity of drugs, six pythons , one being a burmese python which are exotic and illegal in Australia ,a crocodile , pair of iguanas and a jetskis worth more than $30,000 during the first raid on a home in ####### Crescent.

The officers then executed a search warrant at a storage facility in ###### Crescent, where they discovered a steel box allegedly containing more than $1.5 million cash.

The couple were arrested and taken to Wollongong police station where they were charged with two counts of possessing the proceeds of crime, two counts of possessing prescribed restricted substance, obtaining benefit by deception and possessing protected fauna. They were unlicensed .

They are due to appear in ###### Local Court on March 31

So does anyone here know the bloke in Blacktown who was caught last year? I would put his name but I'm sure it would be moderated. How was he caught, and did he get to keep anythin legit he had? Whether he thought the fine was peanuts? Same goes for the bloke in Liverpool who's exotics were seized the year before?

Again, I know these snakes are everywhere, but it seems I have gotten the wrong end of the stick about how serious the penalties are for keeping them. Like I say, someone PM me if it's no big deal :)

So does anyone here know the bloke in Blacktown who was caught last year? I would put his name but I'm sure it would be moderated. How was he caught, and did he get to keep anythin legit he had? Whether he thought the fine was peanuts? Same goes for the bloke in Liverpool who's exotics were seized the year before?

Again, I know these snakes are everywhere, but it seems I have gotten the wrong end of the stick about how serious the penalties are for keeping them. Like I say, someone PM me if it's no big deal :)

Your more likely to get a free pass to Gosford Reptile Park then someone admitting it :)

That's the irony of the whole business, ain't it? But if it's such a non-issue, and enforcement is much more lax than the media beatup suggests, well...

But I do appreciate the factual clarification australis and gillsy, thanks for informing me.

That`s pretty cheap for piebalds, and if it`s not a scam they have balls to post them on the net for sale.

Blktwn - which one------- ha ha ha ha !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back