brown or whip or?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cam

Reaction score
Hi down the bush where i live (sydney) theres alot of snakes near a water pipe so when i go down here i see them. i dont know what type it is its small and brown but not very aggressive

Pictures would make it alot easier.
Also i would be careful of snakes that you can't 100% I.D as non venomous

Catch one and let it bite you, if you die it's a Brown, if you don't it's a Whipsnake.. :)

Most probably whips but you will need to take a photo! whips are very fast and flighty and most (not all) juvie browns in Sydney area have dark stripes over their complete or body or sometimes just over their heads. Whips also have a yellow tick under their eye. But dont touch anyhows.

swampie I reckon. What do you mean by small. I know guys who reckon anything under 4 foot is small. if they're under 2 feet long then prob swampies. Got this pic from James Cook Uni (had to credit them)

yeh it looks alot like that but light brown

that looks like a collared whip snake pete, do you call them swampies down there or are you talking about a marsh snake?

I would say they're probably swamp/marsh snakes(hemiaspis signata). This species tends to aggregate during autumn/winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back