carpet pythons of the irian jaya persuasion...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beastie

Reaction score
hey everybody, i'm new to this site, been cruising & reading for a few hours so far, and i have a few questions i haven't really been able to find *specific* answers for... if anyone can help, i'd be grateful!

i'm thinking about getting some (what's referred to here in the usa as) irian jaya carpet pythons, Morelia spilota variegata.

if anyone has experience, here goes:

-housing - how many together (male & female), heat, humidity?
-full grown size (i've seen differing reports...)
-attitude

anything else that anyone may find important!

thank you all very much! :)

Welcome

Hi and welcome to the site.

We can't keep non-Australian pythons in Australia (at least, not legally) so expertise with that type may be a little thin on the ground.

However, we do have quite a few overseas members here who may have some knowledge, specifically a one-eyed, dark chappie called Almaron from the good old USA who may be able to help.

I'm sure you'll hear from him soon, if so. :wink:

In the meantime, have fun on the site. I'm sure there's SOMETHING here that can help you. There is some good stuff in the Feature Articles section too on general stuff that might help. :eek:

the irians always get lumped in with the australian morelias over here, so i figured it couldn't hurt to ask... it's close, right? :lol:

thanks, and i look forward to what you all have to say!

b

its just another name for north-western or darwin carpets all have the same scientific name morelis spilota variegata

they grow to about 1.8 mts

so they are australian snakes

BTW where are you from

i'm from the usa - indiana.

i seem to be a minority on here, with all of you australians around! you'd know more about these guys than most people on usa boards, i'm sure.

:)

b

:)

Well there ya go! You learn something new every day! Thanks Andrew :lol:

carpets..

hi guys and welcome beastie

yeah the carpet with the label iran jaya carpets are veriagata. they are deffernatly not australian..
that forms is only found in the area that it label sugests and there is a few visual differance from what we call darwin carpets here in australia
as far as genetics i have no idea about differances between that veriagata and the ones we get across the northern portion of australia. In fact even the visual differances between qld forms and n.t forms of northern veriagata is fairly obvious

the same example can be found in morelia viridis ( green tree pythons)
also found in australia , new guinea and indonesia as well as associated islands..
also morelia amethystina found in australia . new guinea indo etc..
the name morelia ,spilot, veriagata, viridus or amethystina dosent mean they are australian in any way.
cheers paul.

Welcome to APS Beastie :)
Yup as paul said.
There is also a size difference between the Irian Jaya (morelia harisoni)and the Australian Darwin (morelia spilota variegata),as well as color change at a certain age in Harisoni.I will try to answer your questions as both species :D

1. Preferably keep them seperated in a 1200x600x600(4x2x2)enclosure,If housed together I'd suggest seperation at feeding time in seperate containers.For breeding purposes seperation of the sexes is preferred.
Keep the heat at 30-32 degrees celsius (86-90 farenheit) during summer days with roughly 5-8 degree drop at nights and humidity levels reaching 60-65%.

2.Irian Jaya's averages 4-6 foot.The Australian Darwin averages 6-8 foot

thanks guys! that's the fastest i've gotten feedback on any forum, reptile or not! i think i'll be sticking around here. :wink:

Hi Beastie, for further info I suggest you go to www.kingsnake.com and go the forums, and then to the carpet python forum.It's an American site and there's alot of people there with experience with Irian Jaya carpets. They'd be able to give you more of the info you want. :)
Good to see you'll be stickng with us though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back