Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boa, Exactly my point most people do tend to wrap Diamonds and most other pythons for that matter in cotton wool, they just havent got the balls to risk what are believed to be risky temperatures in captivity for pythons.
OK how I go about achieving my constant heating and constant cool area is quite simple really. Most of my enclosures are in banks of 3 high. The bottom enclosure has a light fitting coming out from the back of the enclosure so that the bulb itself is only a half an inch to an inch from the bottom of the above enclosure, which provides a heat pad for the above enclosure, it is situated at one end of the enclosure, roughly half way is a division. The snake can go from one side to another and thermo regulate its temperature anytime it wants. For larger enclosures there is always a large cardboard box ie. apple box, that the python can lie on top of and get only a few inches or so away from the bowl. I only use 15 - 40 watt blue bulbs, occasionally 60's when an extreme cold snap hits and the animals are being cooled ie. hot days cold nights, depending on size of the enclosure. By doing this the reptile has the same environment or as close to as possible as it does in the wild. Let's face it if a snake gets cold it seeks out warmth, if a snake gets too warm it seeks out cold. By doing this there is no maintenance, the reptile pretty much looks after itself except for feeding and cleaning. If a heat wave comes thru the cold side is always room temperature so the snake cannot be cooked. If a thermostat misfunctions during a heat wave, or like alot of people large wattage bulbs are used, the reptile will be cooked. 60 watt bulbs are only used occassionally in extreme cold and only for cooling as 15-40 watt bulbs will not burn your animals and sufficient heat can be supplied to the animal to reach a body temperature of well over 30 degrees by only using 40 watt and below. Because the heat is on constantly and only turned off by timers when the snake room reaches above 30-32 degrees the reptile can bask indefinitely to stay at what ever temperature it desires. Let's face it the bigger the temperature gradient we can supply to pythons the better they will be as long as they always have a hot spot.
Rob

Playwell, Mickey Rooney is my favourite actor and always will be. He was a star before there were stars. A true legend who's acting abilities outdo any of the so-called "stars" of today. Give me one of Mickey's old black and white films any day over the crap they come out with these days. It's just a shame the world chooses to forget he exists. My avatar is a reminder.

Well thanks for the read guys!

Rock thankyou for all the help and thats from all the other newbies here too bout time someone stepped in and gave some good advice on cooling!!

I think many ways work to be honest, I have a mate who has bred diamonds for years several adults are over 15 years old and he has had them from hatchies and he just turns off the lights for the winter or from may-end of july, works for him as im sure other ways work for others.

Goodluck to all those breeders this year andd it will be interesting to see the results!

Pugs

G'day Rob,welcome to the site!!!

Just wondering why nobody has mentioned or touched on the topic of the UV requirements that are supposedly needed and without could be another cause of DPS, which has been suggested on numerous occasions by experienced diamond breeders.

I agree with Rob that as long as you have a hot spot and the snake can thermoregulate either by perching or moving to oposite end etc with warm days and cool nights is providing exactly what every python needs which i'm sure we all know but i for one would not toss away my thermostats and especially if i lived in NSW or VIC..I like to know what temps my animals are kept at and provide a constant hot spot with very little variance in temps. As has been said already what works for one person doesn't necesarily mean that is the only way it can be done and many keepers and breeders have very differing husbandry techniques yet all breed successfully.

I have read about putting diamonds into foam type eskies etc and that they come out gleaming afterwards but have also heard that method eventually killed the adults.That's just going on what i've read and heard.There's a few people breeding diamonds in Qld and right up to Darwin so they must be doing something right.

Hi Rob....

You will probably absolutely FREAK when i tell u this! :S

I have had my diamond for 5 months, he was born last august.

I had no heating for him until the end april/beginning of may (my lil bro bought me a heat rock for my b'day) i now have a heat rock for him which i leave on all the time. Sometimes i find him curled up next to it, sometimes he is in a branch, sometimes he is up close to his light (a normal fish tank light) and other times he is curled up next to his scenery stuff......

does this mean he is controlling his own temperature?? i live on the Mid North Coast of NSW in a sub-tropical area. we have LOTS of wild diamonds around here....

it got cool in the months of march/april and as i said....the heat rock didnt go in till beginning of may. He is very happy since tho, and i have noticed that he has had a growth spurt. Should i turn the heat rock off?? or leave him to adjust himself? we are having/about to have a real cold snap here.... suggestions?

(sorry to be a pain...but im just worried like everyone else)

you bought a baby snake without having any heat set up for him for 4 months? :?

Rock dude I'm assuming that you like most other non-victorians assume that all we get here is cold weather...it's not a problem having a low wattage light on all day when your snake room is so cold that the cage will never overheat. It's when we get the 40 degree days etc that we need thermostats to make sure they don't get cooked...and in summer we often get a lot of those. I'm like Browneye in that I like to know what temps they are kept at and if I'm at work on a hot day I know they're not gonna fry from a light which is permanently on.

We're actually trying a diff way of keeping our Diamonds to what we have done in the past (all 2 years :lol:) and what I would like to know is 2 things: 1 is it ok to completely turn off heat at night for em (in a vic winter - it got to 12 last night cos the heat mat got bumped and it's not even winter yet! :?) and then do you reduce the amount of hours heat during the day? And man is this boy still hungry...I'm assuming it's best not to feed him or would the heat in the day be enough for him to digest?

HEver seen the little skinks running round the garden in winter,thats cause they are little and dark they heat up fast and lose heat fast with less body mass and also use allot of the energy running around.Similar to little monitors who use energy with speed and energy expended to breeding when they are kept hot.The Diamond python ismade to absorb energy with its dark colouration similar alpine type blotched blue tongues and broad headed snakes of similar cold habitat.The most crucial thing for a diamond python or an alpine blotchie is enegy levels for and against.plus is heat and food and minus is lack of food and no heat,energy expenditure asociated with breeding (includes searching for mates and producing eggs and loss of energy incubating eggs).So no worry when there little but when they big and black and in captivity you are the one who controls the energy and if they get two much enery where can it go if its already in the maximum energy holding capability? Hibernation therefore is essential in captivityand losses through breeding and incubating eggs would be beneficial for this species in particular although i akknowlege they are not likely to get it.As well as hibernation the method of heating rob uses allows the snakes to cool at night and that is very important and it happens gradual.Day and night high temps is a recipe for energy blowout especially when your a big black energy miser that has been invited to a huge feast sponsored by the sarason dog. :p

No Pilbarapythons, have learnt to stand. Hows the cut and tuck going thou, any complications.
OuZo, I always supply a hot spot when animals have eaten.Plus if you go back and read my posts youll remember theres always a room temp area so they cant cook. On the other hand if one of your thermostats malfuntions, you risk giving your animals brain damage or even death,and every long term herp I know has seen or heard of this happening. Gee this post started on acsess to heat wont give Diamnods DPS as long as they have a cool area. What happened!.
Rob

Since the topics changed check this out. NT stimpsons.

And again, a real blond mac. (not the cooktown strain.)

Hi Rob....

You will probably absolutely FREAK when i tell u this! :S

I have had my diamond for 5 months, he was born last august.

I had no heating for him until the end april/beginning of may (my lil bro bought me a heat rock for my b'day) i now have a heat rock for him which i leave on all the time. Sometimes i find him curled up next to it, sometimes he is in a branch, sometimes he is up close to his light (a normal fish tank light) and other times he is curled up next to his scenery stuff......

does this mean he is controlling his own temperature?? i live on the Mid North Coast of NSW in a sub-tropical area. we have LOTS of wild diamonds around here....

it got cool in the months of march/april and as i said....the heat rock didnt go in till beginning of may. He is very happy since tho, and i have noticed that he has had a growth spurt. Should i turn the heat rock off?? or leave him to adjust himself? we are having/about to have a real cold snap here.... suggestions?

(sorry to be a pain...but im just worried like everyone else)

No heat?? What about UV? :?

In my opinion uv also seems not to have alot to do with dps. Ive kept Diamonds with and with out. The only major difference I found was that uv will intensify the yellow. Even realitively white Diamonds tend to go yellowish. As a rule, not always.
Rob

Welcome to the site Rob!!!
It's good to see another experience herper in this site, I'm sure a lot of newbies (and their animals) will benefit on what you have to share, keep them coming!
Luv them stimis!
All the best
Joel

Hi Rob,

Its brilliant you sharing your herp knowledge, the more opinions and experiences that are shared in these forums the better the choices and decisions members can make about keeping their herps. In fact I have read at other times in this forum that people should pay to obtain information from experienced keepers :|.

Could I also ask you to post a pic of your cage bank setup? Especially how you position the lights in your thermostat free enclosures?

Stephen

Hey Oldfella,

That's a really dark ugly stimis you have there, Send him my way and I will look after him for you, I will even pay for the freight :cool:

More pics please.
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back