FAQ: How often can I handle my python ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryso_9590

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering how many times a day can i handle my spotted python for and how long just need to know thanks bryson

Not every day, especially after feeding, wait a cople of days when it has eaten, and about ten mins at a time on other days and leave it alone in between, you just have to remember they are not like dogs and cats.

I take mine out at least 2 times a week for a few mins, and sometimes more depemding on cleaning etc. but not every day,

I was wondering the same thing, thanks for the info.

hi there

so wat you saying is 10 mins every 2nd day?
wow thats not much

i was hopping to play with atleast a hour every 2nd day
is this ok?

bb

an hour might be a bit much but i guess it depends on the snake as well. some may really like being handled while others won't. i had my lil girl out for about 20 mins the other night but then she got to a point where she had enough and wanted to wander on her own. i let her investigate her new surroundings for a few mins then put her back in her cage.

i usually take her out at least once maybe twice a day for a few minutes unless she's been fed

I handle mine for around 10 minutes at a time. Time permitting. Roughly every second or thid day.

As has been said depends on snake, we regularly bring or coastals out for hours at a time, and they tour the loungeroom at will regularly coming back to us. but they are over 2yr's of age, and rather hard to loose

I handle my animals as minimal as possible. All of approx 15 seconds a week to transfer them to a plastic tub while I clean their enclosure or a bit longer if medicating or probing etc. I used to still handle my animals on the odd occasion while showing friends/family etc. but I stopped this practise a few years ago due to an increase in thefts & deseases. I think excessive handling leads to stress and I try to avoid this if possible.

I find that a new keeper will handle them alot but over the up-coming years the satisfaction of handling just dosn't thrill them any more (especially if your collection increases to large numbers in that time), you end up caring more for there well being rather than un-necessary handling them imo. I know when I first got into Herps I was handling very often almost daily, I loved showing everyone my strange creatures it was a thrill. Then I only started handling them on odd occassions for self satisfaction & showing other people, it wasn't the same as when I first got my 1st snake. But now I am content to leave them in isolation and only remove them for medical reasons, cleaning enclosures, probing or introducing to partners for breeding.

Last edited:
My coastals are very social animals though we only need to open there enclosure and they will come out to see us on there own. I don't believe that my coastals are stressed in any way by this. But they are a large snake and can be left to there own devices in our lounge room without fear of loosing them, and most of the time the find a comfy spot on top of the lounge and go to sleep.

It really does sound like you can't help yourself, put it away, LOL

now theres mixed responses to the amount of times to handle your snake but IMHO um and with reading threads regarding UVA im not sure if it depends on the particular snake but i noticed that if u dont supply the snake with the artificial UVA/UVB that u need to give them sunlight for at least 20mins - 1hr a day, now my understanding of in this situation is that u would be giving them the natural sun but not handling them ??? someone correct me on this !!!

Most snake species do not need any UV lighting as the efficient calciums & supplements are recieved by digesting adult animals (rodents). Diamonds are the exception. Giving the snake time in the sun or supplementing with a UV light source would be beneficial but not neccessary.

As for handling while giving them time outside it is 100% dependant of the owner, you may want to handle them outside & allow them to defecate on the lawn or you may want to set up an outside aviary for them to spend time in during the day while you go off to do other things. Totally up to yourself.

i handle my MD about 3 times a week and she hangs around exploring for up to an hour we dont keep her out if she starts getting cool.

My bredli comes out more often as we are trying to get her to be less.... crazy?snappy? :0
and as with all my animals they have to be put away on a good note.

If she starts getting snappy she has to stay out otherwise she will realise that biting =being put away :)
i had this happen with my coastel in the end he could make us leave him alone with a alook. :)

They don't need any artificial UV lighting or natural UV from the sun as all the calciums they need are fed to them through the use of adult rodents (grown bones, nutrients etc). Taking them outside is totally up to the owner. However UV lighting either artificial or natural would benefit the snake but it is not completely necessary for their existance in captivity. My aniamls recieve no UV lighting artificial or natural & seem to be thriving.

Diamond Pythons are the exception & should recieve several hours a week of natural sunlight imo. Although it is not conclusive that lack of UV is related to DPS I feel it better to be safe than sorry.

what simple steps should i follow when trying to get a snake used to handling? if it wants to get off my hands should i let it explore and go about where it likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back