keeping illegaly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was completely confused by the post. I didn't think it was legal to import foreign mice/rats...as far as I know, they are under the same laws as guinea pigs. You cannot import foreign guinea pigs as far as I am aware (this might differ if you were a scientist- I think theres an 'experiment' loophole).

And Yayo, the reason the 'exotics' that would have been released into the wild so far (excluding the ones bought in by the government), haven't been able to cause any environmental damage is because they are not legal. They are NOT in great numbers as they would be, should the government make it legal to own them. People would be breeding them (therefore increasing their numbers) and with many people owning them, there is an increased risk of them being released into the wild, whether accidentally (escapes etc) or on purpose (idiots no longer wanting them etc). And in common numbers, they could cause a problem.

Whether we think so or not, anything is possible, and by ignoring that, we doom ourselves to continue to make the same mistake (rabbits, foxes, cane toads...the list goes on).

The real problem is Australia itself - we have a huge diversity of habitats on this continent, from alpine to hot dry deserts to wet tropics, enough to accommodate virtually any species in the world if it finds its way into a suitable niche. Your boas, burms, iguanas and others might not thrive outside in the locations of our major cities where cool to cold winters would knock them off, but they could feasibly do very well in the tropical wetlands further north. Temperate species will do very nicely in Melbourne & Sydney - corns & red eared sliders are just 2 examples.

It's worth remembering that the herp craze is a relatively recent phenomenon, with captive breeding in any numbers an artefact of only the past 20-25 years or so (I've been around a lot longer than that). We knew nothing of the importance of thermal cycling for breeding etc until relatively recently. Hence the huge amount of captive bred stuff available now, and the growing popularity of reptiles and amphibs as pets. Captive breeding is allowing the hobby to grow exponentially, so there is increasing pressure to get more & more into the system. The more animals in the system, the bigger the risk of escapes, or far more likely, the bigger the risk of deliberate release into the wild by those unaware of the implications of their actions.

There is a massive diversity of beautiful Australian animals legally available to us all (except in WA (again!)), but that won't be enough for those always want more. I can appreciate the beauty and impressiveness of some of the exotic species, and even understand the desire to have them if you can, but until the difficulties they can create (disease, environmental destruction etc) are sorted, they should not be widely available. We don't hear about it much, but IBD and OPMV are 2 incurable viral diseases which are making their way through herp collections in Australia at the moment. In this country we have the largest and most diverse range of pythons in the world. Who knows what the long-term impacts of these diseases will be on that part of our herp heritage?

Jamie.

Kris said:
I'm sorry...am I the only one who sees the humour in Yayo's repeated references to being multilingual when he's failed to exhibit a decent grasp of spelling and grammar in the one language he's used so far? :shock:

:roll: If you can't understand my original post then perhaps you should worry more about going back to school then hanging around a snake site :roll:

AntaresiaLady said:
I was completely confused by the post. I didn't think it was legal to import foreign mice/rats...as far as I know, they are under the same laws as guinea pigs. You cannot import foreign guinea pigs as far as I am aware (this might differ if you were a scientist- I think theres an 'experiment' loophole).

And Yayo, the reason the 'exotics' that would have been released into the wild so far (excluding the ones bought in by the government), haven't been able to cause any environmental damage is because they are not legal. They are NOT in great numbers as they would be, should the government make it legal to own them. People would be breeding them (therefore increasing their numbers) and with many people owning them, there is an increased risk of them being released into the wild, whether accidentally (escapes etc) or on purpose (idiots no longer wanting them etc). And in common numbers, they could cause a problem.

Whether we think so or not, anything is possible, and by ignoring that, we doom ourselves to continue to make the same mistake (rabbits, foxes, cane toads...the list goes on).

I didn't say they wouldn't be breeding if they were released im saying HOW MANY OF THEM WOULD SURVIVE???
i will start drawing pictures for some of you

I'm just waiting for you to stop attacking people and start actually backing up what you're saying. Feel free to ignore me :D........

Yayo, I love how it's everyone else who seems to have the problem because you make no sense.

keeping ilegaly?rats and mice

Sorry if im a bit slow but did i read correctly that rats and mice can be inported from other countries.
Not wanting to get involved in the politics of this topic just would like to know if that is what was written and if so please tell me how i go about doing it,id love to get a pure hairless rat in from USA.
Cheers Odessa Rodents

The Rats and Mice are lab animals imported from quarantine facilities overseas. They can only be imported by a Hospital or Research laboratory that is an approved quarantine facility, and they must have a valid permit. The animals are humanely euthanased at the end of the research project.

:p

Hix

Not one of my rodents could produce a valid permit when requested to do so. I have taken extreme measures.
Yes, thatrs right Ive thrown them over the fence at Villawood.

peterescue said:
Not one of my rodents could produce a valid permit when requested to do so. I have taken extreme measures.

Gee that's pretty extreme measures Peter. I mean what are the chances they will survive? :roll:

Pete said :
LOL you dont know how close that is pete,i know one lot of corns and boas went over the back fence when a raid was carried out at gosford and yes baby corns survive the winter in sydney and grow up as i was told by someone,they are a genuine threat.

When did these raids happen?
Is there a link/thread i can read about them in?

wow...what a post...

I just think it's unfortunate that we have introduced species, and invariably, an introduced animal takes over the home/food of a native species. But it's also unfortunate that I dont think there is really a way to solve it :(

Just to throw a spanner in the works (dont want an argument) jsut curious, an animals/insects that come to australia say, stuck on a log from another island, or swept over in a hurricane, are they introduced? Although unless a male and a female land next to each other, prolly dont have to worry about them spreading.

keeping illegally

buck said:
peterescue said:

Gee that's pretty extreme measures Peter. I mean what are the chances they will survive? :roll:

They may survive, but NOT IN OUR COUNTRY! They get shipped back to their country of origin even if they do not have citizenship in that country, have not lived there since they were two years old, do not know the language and have no social network to speak of!

Good on you, Amanda Vanstone :roll:

keeping illegally

reptililian said:
buck said:
peterescue said:

They may survive, but NOT IN OUR COUNTRY! They get shipped back to their country of origin even if they do not have citizenship in that country, have not lived there since they were two years old, do not know the language and have no social network to speak of!

Good on you, Amanda Vanstone :roll:

Wow you are really opening a can of worms here... :shock:

Can't be worse than what's been going on already, surely! :wink:

All my neighbours know about my exotics, so if I was silly enough to dump them over the fence, they would know exactly where they came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back