Land Mullets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Chasing some info on land mullets.
please keep all haircut jokes to yourselves.
I have read that when handled they either go stiff or thrash about uncontrollably, true?
I believe they can co habitat with blueys, but has anyone any experience with cohabitation of these guys?
1 book explained 4 reasons for them being called 'mullets' can anyone name them? lol
I believe lamington np is a great place to see wild ones, has anyone some good viewing locations?
Cheers
Ad

Hi Ad, yep when you first grab them out of an enclosure they struggle wildly but then they mostly settle and got a bit stiff, only to struggle again in a minute or 2. I have kept them with majors and pink tongues without incident, but that dosent mean it wont happen, i think if a land mullet got hungry enough, a major might start looking mighty tasty, a friend has them in a pit with blueys and they seem to get along alright, wouldnt expect to be pulling out many babies unless you separated gravid females. If you go to the imformation building at Binna burra , there are usually couple around the board walk

Thanks heaps Pike!
I intend getting a couple, I think I will house them seperate to avoid dramas,
but they are stunning looking animals I couldnt refuse em!! lol
Cheers
Ad

"There awesome Ad, not hard to keep on a varied diet of soft fruit, insects added for protien .... the 'Rep-cal' adult bearded food goes down well....Watch adults with small bluies/beards etc, they maybe troublesome at times.....Try 'Mt Nebo', 'Mt Glourious', down your way, seen them at both locations....."

Land Mullets.....yeah yeah

Hey Ad, now your talking my language. Hate to rub it in but out of all my animals my Land Mullet Marcia is the best , most placid and adorable girl ever. I keep mine with a pair of King Skinks and a pair of Cunningham Skinks and don't have a problem at all.
AS for viewing them, Lamington yes but Springwood you will see them at the side of the road in pairs all over the place and especially in the rainforest areas at the back of Coolangatta. But they're quick, once you stop the car they're GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE.
I always believe they were called Land Mullets cos' of the flaps near the ear are suppose to resemble a fish. One doco Lizards of Oz says it's cos they have a "disgusting fishy" smell. My girl however and others i have seen in the wild are like lillies in a field full of tulips, they don't stink. Although i must admit, when i brought my girl home in the car i lay the pillow case on the floor of the car and my friend had to pull out the carpet and wash it four times to get the smell of crap out of his car. That was bad but still....not fishy.
Hey Pike01, do you breed Major Skinks? I'd love a pair of them and i have a thing for Yakka Skinks too. If anyone breeds them PM me please. Here's one of my girl and i'll take some more pics later.

Simone.

RE: Land Mullets.....yeah yeah

Hey thanks indicus, and simone,
Thanks for the pics simone, that is one awesome animal you have there!!!!

Your welcome Ad.
She is a terrific girl, Dad's favourite. I do know that this one in particulardoesn't handle the cold too well whereas others i have do. She seems gets brought into an indoor enclosure for winter and put back outdoors in Spring.
I offer her dead mice on occasions and rolled oats, eggs, dog food, mushrooms etc. ( mushies seem to be one of her favourites ) but i find she never misses a chance to hoe in when i grate lettuce, carrots, apples, rokmelons etc, and mix it all up.

Simone.

"Top shots, how could ya not love that.....i think you just increased there popularity, awesome guy's"

lmao, i can't help but think they look similar to a bog on legs lol!

Hey Azztech i have never seen a bog that looked like my girl before but then again all chefs are different.

They can certainly bite and the story my vet told me went like this.....She told me you dont want to get bitten and i asked if she ever saw somone get bitten. She said yes and when i asked how big the bite mark was she said there wasn't..........
IT TOOK THE WHOLE PIECE. Apparently, it bit a guy she was working with below the thumb and luckily didn't get enough in its mouth to damage the muscle. but this guy had an ulcer where his skin use to be.
Also, when Marcia goes to the vet for her yearly checkup ( i'm paranoid about their health) when it comes time to getting her mouth open you can feel her jaw muscles tighten. When the cotton tip goes in the mouth there is no getting it back from her until she's ready to spit it out. You don't want to get bitten by one but my girl has spent this morning sitting on my shoulder eating banana out of my fingers. She's great.

Simone.

johnbowemonie, yeah i have major skinks, i have new born, yearlings and sub adults, where did you get your king skinks, i had a litter born yesterday. dont know about ulcers from mullet bites, been bitten a few times by them and no probs afterwards, the worst skink bite i ever had was a king skink, it bit and twisted, i had to hold it to stop it doing a death roll ha ha. In the end the whole area was numb and i couldnt pry it off without hurting it so i put it down and it twisted aroundinto 2 rolls and ripped me open.The whole area where he bit was snow white, he squeezed all the blood out of it

RE: Just one more for ya

Sorry Everyone i realised i made a typo area.....ITS SPRINGBROOK not Springwood. Springbrook is south east Queensland about half hour from Currumbin area. ( i only just got back from Springwood in the Blue Mountains and it's all a bit much for my poor blonde brain)

Simone.

My big King Skink nipped me once and i nearly had a heart attack. It was a nip but it was a split second fear i had after i saw it attack the bag that it was shipped in. It grabbed it, shook, then twisted it like a death roll and i had to unwrap the bag from around it's head.... i knew i never wanted a bite from a king skink. My other King skink is very placid but still, don't put fingers too close to his mouth.
There are some pics of my King's on this thread
http://www.aussiepythons.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9016&highlight=king+skinks

Simone.

God that had to hurt Pike!!!!!!!!!

Yep definately my most agressive lizard, you should of seem me trying to get the babies out, the parents kept me at bay for a while. Indicus, david williams was down here not long ago, and he reackons youd like em.

Ad, I keep a colony of 6 mullets(2 males, 4 females) in a avairy with common and blotched bluetongues. They get along fine and never fight. However , all 3 species as adults will eat any babies in the avairy. I have even seen mullets eating hatchling mullets.

As for being called Land Mullets. One reason was that their profile is the same shape as a mullet fish. Also their scales look like the scales on a mullet fish. Also the scales over the ears make it look like gills. And also they are shinny and slippery to hold like a fish.

How'd I go?????

Hi Bigguy,
great feedback on the cohabitating, cheers.
as for the four, pretty well spot on!
to quote 'Australian Lizards' by Keith Davey
"Firstly, the large scales on its body resemble fish scales; secondly, it's head is said to resemble that of a mullet; thirdly, the glossy scales give the impression of 'swimming' as the lizard weaves its way through the scrub areas of the rain-forest and fourthly, early settlers killed the skink for the pot, and its flesh is supposedly not unlike that of the fish."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back