Land Mullets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i paid $350 for my adult male, but that was from a pet shop in Melb, what about $80 each Dicco.Just found another 2 baby kings in the pit today. I had a friend over to help me get them out and he reckons they are the taipan of the lizard world ha ha.I am just about to probe that king for you Simone.

$80 each sounds great Pike, how many you got? If you can make it to the gathering I could get them off you then if it's good for you.

RE: Re: RE: Land Mullets.....yeah yeah

Sweet looking lizards.

I am not a fan of skinks, but the larger species really appeal too me.

Oh, if you think a bite from a big skink hurts, trying having a HUGE panoptes rip open your hand. Had lots of stitches from that one. Im still typing one handed, and that was almost a month ago. Scary thing wazs, my doc didnt know you didnt stitch monitor wounds, because of all the bacteria, so after talking too Bryan fry, I had too go and get them all out, clean the wound, wait a week, and restitch them.

I know of two ways of sexing large skinks. The first is by probing which is fairly easy if someone holds the skink for you. Males easily probe two to three times deeper then females.

The second way I was shown be a fellow herper. That is to open the cloaca and apply pressure to the undersection of the lizards tail base as if you were trying to pop the hemipenes. Males have large veins leading to the hemipenes that females do not have for obvious reasons. When you apply the presure you force the vein to the surface and it can easily be seen showing that its a male.

Both ways work very well, the popping is the easiest. BUT a word of warning. They nearly always crap all over you so be prepared. YUK

I have never heard of xraying skinks, only monitors. Does it work or was the vet just guessing. I would be interested to hear more about this and what the vet looks for.

:D Tryd the probing thing bigguy,its very unreliabe the female skinks have hemi clitoris thats why its not used with blues.Probed some young and adults last year and there wasnt much diff between male and female.There is but its not allot like snakes where the differance is clear,the best bet is the veins near the cloaca.All the methods available to sex skinks is discussed in detail in the blue-tongue skinks Contributions to tiliqua and cyclodomorphus it can be found on Mike Swans herp books and is a very interesting book to read because it has many contributors including Glenn Shea and Robert Hitz. :)

Hey bigguy,
I can ask my vet for a copy of the x-ray if you like. Originally it was a suspected broke tail that i was getting Marcia xrayed for. When i asked if it could be sexed the vet pointed out about the boney structures in the pelvic area. She was positive is was a female, i will stop by and ask her about it on Tuesday so i can tell you more. She did sex my king Skinks through probing.
I will get back to you bigguy

Simone

:lol: Johnbow,what you gotta do now is see if they really are male and female.They probe alright just not reliably like snakes.Beware. heaps of people have tryd the probing thing with skinks.its when they drop a litter etc you know you stuffed up. :lol:

Wouldn't i just love it to see baby King Skinks running around the house. I think there behaviour is odd, they sleep alongside each other if not on top of, never fight, share their food, there is not dominance at all.
I hope i have stuffed up.

Simone

:) You will end up with a pair of Kings by the grace of god or two hard core mardy grar kings riding each other hard around the pit. Yeee Haaaaa!

Are you talking about the Egernia frerei or the Egernia major? Are they the same Skink?
Which one is known as the King?

Our BTS lay together in the yard as adults. I've come across 3 basking together with little two lined skinks running about. They're so laidback you've got to love them.
I even got pics once of them 'doin' the wild thing'.
Does that put my tally up to 3 now?

Ha ha ha ha ha your killing me oldfella. That's why i was stunned when the vet said they were both boys. They are just so friendly i didn't think that 2 male skinks would be like that towards each other. HANG ON............. Whats the point in sticking a female in there if they are gay kings to begin with?????

Simone.

Huh Huh johnbow,both boys eh,well i hope the sub adult pike has is a girl for ya or itll end up like the village people lizzy style at your place.Pikes price of about 15o is cheap for captive bred considering it would be at least 200 plus charges from WA,which could easily add another 250 making it 450 say.Pikes king skinks really are good value when you take every thing into account. :D

For sure, it was Pike who i bought my first off 2 years ago. I have a pic titled Nice King under the King Skink thread and that is the original one off Pike. Gorgeous creatures. I'd like to think i would have my own lil colony of King Skinks but i think it may be the Village People Vs Culture Club knowing my luck.

Simone.

E.M, Egernia frerei is the Major skink, Egernia major is the land mullet and kings skink is Egernia kingii, hope that clears it up a bit for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back