Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....Onto the point, this family friend was explaining how corns will soon become legal because there are just so many of them already in the wild in Aus.......

This is the reason they are illegal. Because our wildlife authorities are about protecting our native fauna. Then the introduced species come along and wipe out all the food & our beautiful natives become endangered and even extinct.

the exotics are beautiful, I'll agree, but don't we have enough beauty of our own without introducing pests to take over.

There are a lot more exotics out there that you could ever imagine.....
We meet people all the time that tell us that they have them.
We just say 'why do you want to go down that track.?..tell them about the fines, goal sentences..the loss of all your legal animals etc'

The saddest part is the animals that are in the middle of all this...

I still feel that it is non of my business and would not dob anyone in...needless to say ...the ones that I know of I don't know their full name or where they live anyway... ..

I know its bad for the ecology of australia blah blah blah but dobbing in a friend is a bit drastic, personally i would never do it. 1 person owning an exotic snake is not going to harm anyone and i believe a friendship is much more valuable than a snake. And if it was cocaine i would be a very good friend to that person :)

The point of the drug illustration was to get people to see it in a different light. If you find drug use amusing or something you enjoy then change it to something else.

The whole concept of mateship being sacrosanct is rubbish touted by people who want a convenient excuse to not do something they might find difficult. "I know my mate shoplifts but I can't dob him in - he's my friend :cry:"

There is not a chance corns will be legalised, they can't even make asper or leaftails legal in vic.

Seriously who cares if someone keeps exotics? If they are stupid enough to get caught with them then they deserve what they get, otherwise it is their choice. Something will have to be done about exotics sooner or later, more people have them than anyone could estimate.

There are other things I would prefer before a corn, but I would still get one if I had the chance.

Kane

Not having read all the previous posts (cause i dont have time, will do it later FOR SURE)....just like to add that I know at least one bloke in NSW with boa's.....he found 2 live young in an area of bushalnd near his house...makes you wonder if people are releasing gravid adults or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Corns & any exotics for that matter in terms of reptiles, will never be legalized in this lifetime...

Why cant aussies realise what a fantastic biodiversity of herps we have here, that are the envy of the world, and be satisfied with them. Instead of whinging on the grass is always greener syndrom. exotics are ilegal for a reason. Get over it!!!!!!

I would have no problem (and would willingly) dob in ANYONE at all who had exotics or I knew didn't have a licence.

so beware, if I know you have them, you will be handed over quick smart.

only if you don't care about the possibility of a large proportion of out native animal becoming extinct...
and introduction of more diseases, and other issues...

just look at the rabbit, cane toad, cat and fox problem to get an idea...

re Legalization

They are not exotic,corns and boas etc,they are non native species,an exotic realistically to where i live in sydney things that come from other parts of australia that threaten the local gene pool like diamond x coastal etc.If i find that corns snakes are actually breeding in the wild as the NPWS say they are in the Hawkesbury,hell ile go and catch some,more likely just escapees.If people kept just albino mutations theyd have bucklys of getting established in the wild,if its true that they are in the wild in the hawkesbury area some clown may have introduced okeetees or some other non albino type possibly?

we dont need exotics legalized ,we have the best NATIVE snakes in the world!!!!!
we have over 50% of the worlds python species,
our elapids are the most awsome creatures going
why would we want anything else and endanger the existance of our native species??
euthanase the cornsnakes people only like them cause there pretty
i think there gay

I no somone that found in the wild in melbourne on a golf course a Iguana or some type of exotic lizard

SlothHead, your proving you dont have much between the ears by comparing someones house being on fire, or a house being broken into, with someone keeping a few snakes off licence. Really pathetic comparison. Exotics have been here for decades and are here to stay whether we like it or not. All the whinging in the world not's gonna change a thing. And for the record, i wish there were no exotics here, but the horse has bolted.

I am replying to this post on principle.

All exotics should be only kept under the strictest conditions. This should be much more strict than the NSW venomous conditions, monthly reporting minimum.

I read an article in the early 1980's about a guy who caught snakes around the zoo, thse were not native to Sydney and he was alowed to keep the natives. I sincerely hope the zoo has improved their keeping skills. Birds were commonly escaping because of the salt in the air corroding the wire.

This country is known as the land of parrots 100+ species, monitors 25+ species (out of 30) and many species of marsupial (or monotreme) which all are threatened by people's pets or introductions, which I should not have to mention again.

I say if you want to keep exotics, then go and live in another country where you can, the USA is a good English speaking place.

I would not object to long gaol terms for people endangering our wildlife and this includes keeping exotics, this would be a good deterent to protect our animals. I also would be happy to pay (through taxes) huge rewards $200,000+ for reporting of infringements that are prosecuted.

Note, I also include dog and cat owners in a problem that endangers our wildlife and woul like to see long gaol terms for any endangerment to our wildlife.

You people who want exotics just because it looks good must not have seen a rainbow lorikeet or a frill-necked lizard. If you move to where you can keep them, then what you have left (natives) will cost you a lot more because they are better looking and more diverse animals.

I hope they never legalise exotics beacuse of the: cane toad, starling, noisy miner etc, etc. Wake up and see why USA has so many of our species there at great risk to their smugglers.

Everyone thought cane toads were a perfect solution to their problems when they were first introduced. Now look what has happened.

My uncle in QLD use to have a small creek and pond on his property. On two occassions i visited he had caught a green tree frog or two to show me and my family the colours. They were well looked after in a 4ft terranium for a week then released. About 2 years after the last time he showed us them there were none left on the property. There were however hundreds of cane toads.

Does that not put into perspective the damage exotics could do? They will never be legalized because there are idiots out there who have no idea the damage they can and will cause. You can compare boas and cane toads because they are both exotic and both impose a threat to our native wildlife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back