Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My son and I visited Karijini National Park in the Pilbara of Western Australia for several days in November, 2005. This park is famous for its beautiful red rock gorges. Some of these gorges have permanent water and of course, where there is water, there is abundant life.

Here are a few pics of the gorges
habitat2.jpg

habitat5.jpg

habitat8.jpg

... the habitat above the gorges was dry and hot with Snappy Gums and spinifex. Termite mounds were numerous.
habitat7.jpg

habitat6.jpg

It was very hot in November with temperatures up to 44C. We therefore spent the bulk of the day at the bottom of the gorges where there was shade and water. Nick and I would frequently swim to cool down and then return to ledges where we read until late afternoon when the temperatures dropped a little. Most of our time at Karijini was spent waiting for the night when we could walk the gorges or go night-driving and look for geckos or snakes.

We spent three afternoons in Joffre Gorge:
habitat9.jpg

... my son, Nicholas, on his ledge:
nick.jpg

I very nearly stepped on this juvenile Mulga Snake (Pseudechis australis) late one afternoon after I emerged from a swim. The snake was on a bare rock near the water and I simply did not expect to see anything then since it still was hot. The little guy was alarmed and had flattened its neck but fortunately, it crawled into cover and did not bite my bare foot.
mulga1.jpg

We walked through Weano Gorge one morning before it was too hot.
habitat10.jpg

habitat1.jpg

A real surprise was finding this emaciated Olive Python (Liasis olivaceus) that was soaking in a creek:
Olivepython2.jpg

olivepython3.jpg

olivepython1.jpg

We also enjoyed the Fortescue Falls area. We saw fish (grunters), turtles and monitors among other animals in the water and cattails along the river. Many of the following photos in this post came from this gorge.
habitat4.jpg

Black-headed Monitor (Varanus tristis). This is one of my favourite lizards. When I first saw it, it ran and then warily watched me from cover.
blackheadedmonitor2.jpg

I stood still for a number of minutes and it finally emerged and then ignored me. I like the expression on its face -- it seemed to be relaxed and totally oblivious to me even though I was standing only a couple of meters from it.
blackheadedmonitor1.jpg

Yellow-spotted Monitors (Varanus panoptes) were common. Some of these were huge. We often first detected them when seeing the cattails shake as something large moved below out of sight.
Yellowspottedmonitor3.jpg

Other lizards in the gorges included Long-nosed Dragons (Amphibolurus longirostris) like this juvenile (thanks longirostris and pilbarapythons for the help with the identification):
diporiphora2.jpg

... and adult:
longnoseddragon1.jpg

Russet snake-eyed skink (Cryptoblepharus ustulatus). were abundant on rocks near the water.
ornate2.jpg

ornate1.jpg

Egernia formosa -- I saw this animal late one day when we climbed into a gorge.
egernia2.jpg

Burton's Snake-lizard (Lialis burtonis)
burtons2.jpg

Our night walks in the gorges turned up many Pilbara Gehyras (Gehyra pilbara) and many Desert Cave Geckos (Heteronotia spelea) (thanks Urodacus, for the help with the id):
heteronotia1.jpg

Above the gorges, it was hot and we did not see many animals. The most abundant creature was also the most annoying. It was impossible to eat without ingesting a few flies each day ...
Nick2.jpg

We saw a few Central Military Dragons (Ctenophorus isolepis) but the most common lizard was the Ring-tailed Dragon (Ctenophorus caudicinctus).
ringtailed1.jpg

ringtailed2.jpg

ringtailed3.jpg

ringtailed4.jpg

Night drives produced several big Mulga Snakes:
mulga2.jpg

... We saw several Rosen's Snakes (Suta fasciata):
rosens1.jpg

rosens2.jpg

Geckos included a few Strophurus wellingtonae and many of the following. I think that they are Lucasium wombeyi:
wombeyi.jpg

wombeyi2.jpg

We also saw sleeping Central Military Dragons and Dwarf Bearded Dragons (Pogona minor).
PogonaMinor.jpg

Australian Bustard
bustard1.jpg

Dingo
dingo.jpg

Regards,
David

absolutely love the photos especially the waterfall the long nosed dragon the monitors and the dingo!
fantastic :) would have been a awsome trip!

good stuff moloch, your threads are always well worth waiting 15mins for the download (thank god i now have broardband).

Thanks, everyone. It is too bad that the Pilbara is so far away. It would be great to visit more often but it is a huge drive from Perth.

Here is a colourful native hibiscus from Karijini:
Hibiscus.jpg

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back