Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevalo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new the reptile community/hobby and over the weekend picked up my first reptile a thick tailed gecko. Do you guys have any others suggestions for reptiles that would be good for a beginner reptile keeper.

Firstly.. Welcome! It's great when new people come aboard. Has your lil gecko got a name yet?

You'll have people throw all sorts of reptile names at you after asking such a broad question haha. Truth is, a lot depends on you and your needs, what you're willing or not willing to do or deal with. Some people here even started out with pythons as large as olives or scrubbies and they wouldn't have it any other way, but those people generally were passionate and confident enough and had enough space to manage.

Are you looking for a snake? If so, do you want something that's going to stay pretty small like a spotted python, or something that will get a little size to it like some of the carpet pythons?

Or maybe some more lizards? I'd definitely recommend blue tongues if you're after another lizard.

Personally, my first reptile was a cape york carpet python, followed closely by a hatchy water python (water pythons tend to get a very bad rap, but mine is a sweetheart). Typically you'll get quite a few people recommending snakes like Childrens pythons, Stimmys, Spotteds and different Carpet pythons to beginners. And they definitely make a good point, but make sure you look for something that's going to suit your situation and something you love, because reptiles tend to have a decent lifespan. Also, best tip anyone can give you: Do a LOT of research before deciding on any new critters, no matter how highly recommended they come. You need to know what's going to be required of you if you're to be responsible for another life.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide :D

thanks for the great answer i am looking at a snake to get and i really like carpet pythons that have a little bit of size but not to much that its overwhelming. ill be sure to do plenty of research.

Happy to help!

What kind of size were you thinking? somewhere around the 2 metre mark? There are quite a few pythons that get to about that size, which I think is the perfect size. Not tiny, but not so large that they're unmanageable (especially for a beginner). My Cape York carpet python will get to about 2 metres (both his parents are 2 metres), and I'm really happy with that.

Also, aside from research you can do online and in books, I also definitely suggest you talk to some breeders and other keepers before making the final decision. Hunt around for a good breeder you can trust, and talk to them about what you're after. Most of them are more than happy to help you out! :) If you'd like, I could PM you the details of the breeder I got both of my hatchy pythons from. He's always been very helpful, and both times has been more than happy to pick out some placid critters for me. Also, he has quite a range to choose from. Let me know if you want his contact details.

x

Last edited:
Congrats & welcome. The bug has bitten... :lol:

to be honest I don't think that a 'beginners' snake recommendation is always the best thing, providing you don't go and get a scrub python...

you should really take the time to find something that you do and will really like for a really long time, then do heaps of research on it, then spend more time finding the right seller.

My first snake was a hatchy water python, while he was a little satanic at first (most hatchies are) he has become the most docile, friendly little fella with the best personality of my collection... untill you mention food. Second snake was an adult (6years) spotted python, by far he's the most docile but lacks personality & food response (getting better). My newest addition is a young bredls who since has been the first to bite me (my fault) & still in the process of settling in, but still, a stunning python with an insatiable appetite.

The point I'm trying to make is, there is good and bad in all snakes, the hard part is finding one that you really like, and has a good temperament, which is achievable. It just takes alot of research & sometimes a bit of pot luck.

And at the end of the day I think we're all still learning new things as we go along, it's just good to start with a better understanding of what you're getting yourself into!

Also fyi 2 out of 3 of my snakes have been purchased from people on this forum and my next one will definitely be also. It gives you alot more information about the seller and the animal before you commit, provided you do your research.

thanks for the reply and if you could i think it would be great if you pm me the details of your breeder skippii.

I've always recommended some form of colubrid as a first snake. Our kings and corns over here seem to always eat, never get to big and are usually pretty fool proof for habitat. Now over there, maybe a woma. If yer after another lizard, you really can't go wrong with a beardie or a blue tongue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Woma pythons or RSP Pythons for sure. Both really affordable these days.
Great personalities and tempermants and heaps more exciting then a boring old childrens python.
JMO

Depends what state you're in. Roughies are on a class 2 licence in NSW, sadly (At least on the species list I've got). Womas are pretty awesome though, cute lil faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back