Slithery reptiles sold in NSW pet stores

Discussion in 'Reptile News' started by News Bot, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintanger

saintanger Very Well-Known Member

@ tiliqua, because he never gets reciepts off them and went back the next day they refused to refund. and i had no other heat source. also i did not expect it to fail in less than 2 months. and was only using it till i got a heat light.

i knew they were bad at the time but i serously expected it to last at least 3 months, my partner did not know anything about them and so wen they insisted he buy it as it was hte best source of heat for a blue tongue he did.

anyway this is not about me as a keeper, this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles. and because of this new legislation it will only get worse.

2. Tiliqua

Tiliqua Active Member

3. Colin

Colin morelia

I thought saintanger has been keeping for 22 years? and her partner a similar amount of time

4. saintanger

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. Rob

Rob Super Moderator Staff Member

I seem to recall you once stating you lived in my area. That would make your local my local. Is this the one that is essentially 2 shops split down the middle by an arcade ?

It sounds like you have a mini zoo. No concerns about being able to meet the new COP requirements ?

6. saintanger

yep that one.

yes i have a mini zoo and have a few animals on hold off a breeder so i will be getting more. no concern at all i have large enclosures every reptiles has a heat sourc with own thermostat and humidity is regularly checked, all reptiles have at least 1-3 hides in their enclosures, all climbing species have tall branches. turtles have a pond and also a 6ft for the younger ones. an in the process of building 2 outdoor enclosures for water dragons and eastern beardies.

i don't keep any reptiles in tubs, i prefer my multibays smallest multibay is 4ft and have a few larger 6ft and some custome built tanks too that are bigger than 6 ft.

7. Rob

Rob Super Moderator Staff Member

In that case I am quite surprised by your negative comments. It's been a long time since I've needed to ask for basic husbandry advice, but from what I've seen (staff dealing with other people) on the odd occasion I have been in there, I wouldn't exactly class them in the "know-nothing" category.

Are they suited to selling herps ? Well time will tell, but they certainly aren't a shop I would condemn before giving them a chance to prove themselves.

8. FAY

FAY Guest

It would be in the best interest of the shops (and animals) to give the right/correct advice. I am sure they do not want ALL the problems coming back at them. Keeping in mind that whatever advice you do give some know-it-alls, they won't take it and will blame the shop or breeder.

9. saintanger

there are 2 blokes their that are ok and i often buy insects off them and they seem to know a bit. but its a few of the younger ones that think they know it all.

wen my partner went in he explained he needed a heat source for a blue tongue and that his misses asked him to get a heat light, the young bloke said no heat rocks ar better and last longer as you don't need to change the globe. and i allways buy the accessories so he did not know and bought it.

10. cathy1986

cathy1986 Very Well-Known Member

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Ohh ok kool I will stilk be going to breeders stuff paying 3x the price I saw a normal stimmie at pet shop nothing special and dull $495 hahahhaa
    & they will include a kit plastic box HEAT ROCK repti clean hand sanitizer and sand and hide with bedding oh and a telescopic hook for an extra 50$ I laughed my head off when I saw this
    from Cathy :)

11. Tiliqua

Tiliqua Active Member

[QUOTEwere did you hear i have been keeping for under 3 years, in your dreams? ][/QUOTE]
    Yes, yes it was in my dreams.

I must have been silly to assume that you had such little experience, given you and your partner have 22 years experience etc I apologise for this assumption, Amanda.
    However, why then if you both have so much experience would you buy the heat rock advised by a 16 year old (that by your account wasn't very knowledgable), that was not the ideal choice for your situation. 22 years experience would tell you that's not a good idea. 2 years experience would also tell you this.

12. saintanger

i did not buy it as i said hubby does not read and so i buy all the stuff, and he is gulible and since it was being sold at a pet shop and was recomended he thought it was good. i know they have problems but i have never used one and thought it would be ok for at least 3months but i was wrong.

i was told online and other people they usually fail after 6 months so i went by that and thought i'd use it for 3 months since he had no reciepe and then get a heat light.

it was not a smart decision to use it, but petshops are well aware of the problems with them and still sell them and recomend them.

13. Red-Ink

Red-Ink Very Well-Known Member

That's how it is here in Suburban Melb... don't know what it's like in the country shops though. One shop even has the VHS pres in it.

Didn't always start off like that though....

14. Wally

Wally Subscriber Subscriber

A shining example to others no doubt about it.

15. Red-Ink

Red-Ink Very Well-Known Member

It's my local Wally... wasn't always like that years and years ago, but now definitely mate!

16. Wally

Wally Subscriber Subscriber

I'd have to agree with that!

17. harlemrain

harlemrain Well-Known Member

Yes they are, I asked my pet shop where all the cute little puppies and kittens were and this is what they told me, they were phasing this out to make way for breeders they only sell fish and birds there now.

As long as they hire people who know what they're doing it could work, however you can read all you like but nothing beats hands on experience. Hence why shop keepers see nothing wrong with recommending heat rocks. Why would they, they were designed to be used as a heat source for reptiles, so unless you have gained some first-hand experience why would you know better?

It has the potential to work but unfortunately also has the potential to go very wrong, if a newbie walks in without having done any previous research and meets a shop assistance who thinks all the information he has is correct but has no real experience and is simply taken at face value then things could get ugly. We could end up with badly injured reptiles, newbies with ill-suited reptiles which would most likely prompt alot of "free to good home, don't have the time, didn't realise they bite, didn't realise they live for 20+yrs etc" ads popping up everywhere.

Really who knows? It could be the best thing to ever happen to NSW reptile keepers, it may spark a bigger interest in the hobby but at this point all we can really do is speculate.

But all that aside I agree with the above, more likely than not they will be riciulously overpriced anyway, so if you were smart about it why wouldn't you stick to buying from a reputable breeder?

18. Sean51

Sean51 Active Member

19. saintanger

no my partner is not lebsta on aps he is a friend. i have never said he was my partner? lol
    ewww sorry a mate is a mate.

were have you seen written anywere that he is my hubby? he is a mate i have known for years who i helped his kid get into reptiles.

oh and lebsta of face book? my partner does not go by that name on facebook, and lebsta does not have a facebook account unless its another lebsta.

20. jordo

jordo Very Well-Known Member

I can recall NSW reptile keepers whinging about no herps in petshops for years and now the laws have changed and still people whinge about it. I guess you can never keep animal keepers happy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.