South western carpet python help!!! (feeding and handling)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yiasafrai

Reaction score
i bought a south-western carpet python hatchie about 3-4 weeks ago (it was born in march)
to my knowledge s/he's already shed once.
the sellers said they were feeding it 2xweekly so i've been doing the same
i take the snake out of the cage (takes ages because s/he's not used to handling yet) and feed him/her in the (empty) bath tub.

i have two issues...
the most immediate problem is my python hasn't fed since last Tuesday the 6th when s/he's usually a good feeder. i tried feeding on Friday, Saturday and Tuesday following.
the second problem is that my python is really really snappy. (I've heard this is something it'll grow out of but it's quite heart breaking knowing it's threatened by me.)

any suggestions?

p.s. when can i get my snake sexed??

If its been fed twice weekly, it prob isnt hungry. Id wait another week or so before offering food again. What are you feeding it?
As for handling, there isnt alot you can do to 'teach' it you are not a threat, some snakes will grow out of it, others wont. I would perhaps leave it be until after its next feed, & then just make sure you are sitting somewhere quite when handling & move slowly so as not to startle it, shorter handling times maybe once or twice a week, may help it get 'used to you'.

also picking it up from behind if you know what i mean helps heaps ....
I learned that very quickly when my hatchies got here lol ...
If i go from the front they strike ad try and bite ..... yet if i go from behind "most" of the time they don't worry

also picking it up from behind if you know what i mean helps heaps ....
I learned that very quickly when my hatchies got here lol ...
If i go from the front they strike ad try and bite ..... yet if i go from behind "most" of the time they don't worry

Really? Ive always made sure they know im there before attempting to pick them up. I slide my hand in underneath & lift gently, a bite from a hatchie isnt going to hurt, so your best bet is trying to get it used to you before its big, but at the same time, too much handling will just stress them out. Goodluck anyway.

Yeah they know i'm there lol ..... but from behind just means they strike and bite less I dont mind but they have little teeth i worry they will pull their teeth out and hurt their mouth lmao sure dont hurt me lol

maybe not handle it for a couple of days, to let it settle in and wait a little bit to feed it, and dont handle it before feeding it, i find it tends to stress them out and they wont handle, do u mind if i ask who u bought it from?

We feed our Coastals in their enclosure and only remove them with a hook. We have found that they don't snap once they are out of their enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back