your opions please whats best

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

king905au

Reaction score
Hi all mad forum

I have had a coastal python in my house for the last 9 months thanks to my flat mate, who has just moved out taking sheba with him.

Anyway i have decided to get my own i have started to make my own encloser but i could do with a few opions on what is best. I thought the biger the encloser the better but i think maybe my 1200x1200x900 might be a little bit of a over kill.

I was going to run a heat mat under the floor and a flouro on the roof controled by a thermostat im also going to insulate the walls with polystyrne covered with a white leminated ply, Do i need a uv light?

What snake would you recommend and anything else you would think would be benifactial would be great.

Chears Mark

Attachments

• 24032007057.jpg
    24032007057.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
You won't need a UV light unless you're keeping a Diamond - but whether or not they need one is also questionable, these days i'm leaning towards no, they don't.

You could keep any species of Carpet Python in that cage, so long as it is over 1 year old. It's probably too big for a juvenile but some would cope with an enclosure that size, some won't.

A heat pad would not be sufficient for an enclsure that size. Particularly as you will most likely be keeping a species of Carpet which are all arboreal so spend little time on the ground. I would install a light fitting to the top of the enclosure which should have a cage around it so that the snake can not come into contact with the bulb resulting in a burnt snake. The light should be connected to the thermostat. Fluoroescent lights produce very little heat and thus don't need to be controlled by a thermostat. However, on very hot days it would be wise to turn the fluoro off as they do produce a small amount of heat which could be a problem if the ambient temp is 30 degrees plus.

Does that enclosure have ventilation? I think i can see some at the top of each side? In any case, if it doesn't then it will need some. You don't need to insulate the cage with anything, it will be fine as is.

The heat mat that im looking at getting is 724mm x 305mm along with insulating it i thought might be enough, i dont really like the idea of putting a heat lamp in because of the ugly cage i would have to make to go around it, i havent put any vents in it yet but was going to put one in the door on the side the top part that you can see in the encloser is a fake roof where all my electrical bits and peices will be wired up.

Heat lights can also be put into the fake roof , use wire mesh and the heat light is still hidden, I use uv in my enclosure as there is no proof yet that they dont need it.
I do not think that the heat mat suffice.

cant help on cage stuff,...but get a Bredli! :)

I think u will need an extra heater the heat mat will not do much if the snake is not sitting right on top of it.

hey mate u would need alot more than a heat mat in a cage that size and make sure you have good ventilation in it in my experience i have found no pythons depend on uv heating or in some cases in does help with growth etc esp with diamonds get ure snake out into the sun for a good few hours and that would be fine u would need at leat a yearling to put in a cage that size anything smaller wouldnt be good for the snake id say get a coastal carpet i have some nice yearlings for sale

If you're going to create an enclosure that size make sure there are plenty of hides and perches. A large bare enclosure can be detrimental to how secure the python feels

hey mate u would need alot more than a heat mat in a cage that size and make sure you have good ventilation in it in my experience i have found no pythons depend on uv heating or in some cases in does help with growth etc esp with diamonds get ure snake out into the sun for a good few hours and that would be fine u would need at leat a yearling to put in a cage that size anything smaller wouldnt be good for the snake id say get a coastal carpet i have some nice yearlings for sale

hi thanks for the info looks like i will be putting a heat light in as well as the mat. How much for the yearlings, i have just applied for my licence and it will be another week or 2 before my encloser is finished.

Have you thought about using heat cable? Wind it around a few braches or inside a hollow log

the next update, i will be putting vents in both ends going to get a heat lamp will post as i go along

Attachments

• 25032007059.jpg
    25032007059.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 52
getting close to finishing off the encloser and will be looking for a yeardling in about 2 weeks. The cheque for my licence has been cashed so should have that next week, let me know what is on offer, im after a costal or a carpet python up to maybe 250 for the right snake inculding any frieght, pick up would be better im in the brissy south area but will be travelling to Coffs easter weekend.

not to much to do now just need to get some stuff in the mail

Attachments

• 29032007074.jpg
    29032007074.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
We have insulating foam sheet on top and under bottom floor of our enclosures.Not really attached or glued on/in, just sitting there. Gets bloody cold here in winter even with the combustion heater in lounge room where the enclosures are. Also very hot here in summer. 45c plus sometimes, tho this summer hasn't been too bad. Cheers Cheryl

enough venterlation?

hi again just wanted to ask if i should put another vent in the other side or will this be enough

thanks

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Stick another vent in the other side mate, it will help with air flow but dont worry, it wont affect the heating too much.

By the way, very nice handy work mate, its coming along really well!

Stick another vent in the other side mate, it will help with air flow but dont worry, it wont affect the heating too much.

By the way, very nice handy work mate, its coming along really well!

thanks im getting there, i was thinking of putting one under the shelf so there will be a cool spot and on top of the shelf will be his or her basking spot.

im just waiting for the rest of my gear in the mail should have it close to finished this week all i will need is a snake for it.

hey it looks like its coming along well, I'm building my own at the moment aswell, I'm going to heat a section of the cages with heat cords to minimize wireing controled by a probe thermostat and most likely the new tempreture control device on herpshop for cords and mats. I'll be running the cord underneath each section to heat the floor covering and building in the heatcords so it doesn't heat the enclosures dramatically. anyways here is a picture of the cages I'm building still a while away from finishing

IMG_0913.jpg

about done apart form the finnishings inside and a snake

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 17
i have been offered this boy for 350 he is 3 years old the breeder said he is quite carm and is ok to handle need to go and check him out will be doing that sometime this week, what do you think

Attachments

• Jungle  resize.jpg
    Jungle resize.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Jungle.jpg
    Jungle.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back