Opmv

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I did not know how serious this condition is , i read about it and have always been super clean with my enclosure and never ever make a habit of snake mixing at all , But i will most certainly be more cautious all together.
thanks

Yeah, it's very serious, and a lotta new herpers are totally unaware of it. Hopefully, they pay attention to the threads posted.

OPMV and IBD come straight to my mind every time i see a new herper post - Is it ok to put my snakes together and questions similar.

It's the biggest thing to ever hit the industry.

How many of you, Have quarantine rooms (for new arrivals)
Quarantine for at least 12 months preferably longer
Have disposible water containers
Have your own unique sets of equipment for each cage (that is never swapped)
Clean cages and soak equipment with F10 or a product similar.
Change clothes when entering and leaving different snake rooms.
Fog large rooms with F10 or product similar.
Wash hands with F10 or similar product before handling each animal.

Answer:- Not many, but this is what's required to stop the spread of this nasty, nasty virus.

Yeah, it's very serious, and a lotta new herpers are totally unaware of it. Hopefully, they pay attention to the threads posted.

OPMV and IBD come straight to my mind every time i see a new herper post - Is it ok to put my snakes together and questions similar.

im reletivly new to this amazing hobby but iv neva herd of these 2 things wat do they stand for and wat are they exactly ?

Ive tried on several occasions, but alot of people dont seem to care much, which is a real shame and worry...........
For example, like hazzard mentioned how many people are using f10, washing tools hand between animals..........?
Im amazed recently at the amount of people who house more than one animal per enclosure.......You reduce your control over any out break within your collection when you house more than one animal per enclosure.......

Yet, try and give someone who wants to house animals together some advice.. and you get flamed...lol

Oh well...:)

My olive puts his neck right out and up in the air as if he's smelling and at times will stare for a moment , but this doesnt mean he could have IBD or is he just being curious of his environment etc.

Ophidian paramyxovirus (OPMV) In laymans terms a virus that affects the neurological pathways in the brain, with no cure or test to diagnose it. Probably introduced with the smuggling of exotic species. Is fatal, and several strains are thought to exist. Many outbreaks this season and whole collections wiped out. Possible spread from RI or mites or made hygeine.

Inclusion Body Disorder (IBD):- Also Fatal, inclusion bodies in brain, introduced.

iv got 2 of my bredli living together but i do plan on seperating them once i build another enclosure which wont be 2 long. i take advice from ppl on this site cause some have been in the hobby for alot longer than i have and its good that these ppl can share there advice and experience, thanx guys keep sharing

im reletivly new to this amazing hobby but iv neva herd of these 2 things wat do they stand for and wat are they exactly ?

Two diseases that affect our snakes.

OPMV - Ophidian (correct my spelling please) Paramyxo Virus

IBD - Inclusion Body Disease

Both are very infectious and fatal diseases. The viruses that cause these diseases affect the snakes brain and nervous systems -It's been labelled as Mad Snake Disease in some articles.

In simpler terms, these illnesses damage and destroy brain and nervous tissue. Generally nearly alays fatal. Symptoms include 'Starry eyes' - eyes always looking up, weight loss, disorientation and convulsions.

This is part of the reason why WA is against the importation of herps.

Earl - your Olive is probably just curious. they normally raise their head to check out their environment.

Warp - Without causing panic, it can by definition of the illness be passed on by sharing equipment and being in the same enclosure. There have been a few on this site and other forums that have lost their entire collections due to these viruses. Unless, you buy all your herps from the same breeder at the same time, I would be individually placing each snake on quarrantine. It is believed that the illness is passed similar to the flu, through direct droplet contact

As for tests, a test is being devloped apparently using PCR - polymerase chain reaction. It uses a machine to detect and define the illness by finding key DNA sequences. It's already idely used for people - They use it to test for the for common STDs, the Clap, Gono and Chlamydia. These are only some examples. What needs to be done is to determine the key DNA strand that defines the illnesses as IBD and OPMV.

Last edited:
Ophidian paramyxovirus (OPMV) In laymans terms a virus that affects the neurological pathways in the brain, with no cure or test to diagnose it. Probably introduced with the smuggling of exotic species. Is fatal, and several strains are thought to exist. Many outbreaks this season and whole collections wiped out. Possible spread from RI or mites or made hygeine.

Inclusion Body Disorder (IBD):- Also Fatal, inclusion bodies in brain, introduced.

definetly have to reaserch bout these 2, wat are the signs?

OPMV, Ophidian Paramixovirus, a very nasty virus that attacks the respiratory system and kills your snake quite quickly. Not much known at this stage but there is research being done in WA. The only way to tell of your snake died from OPMV is by autopsy. Worth having done if you have a snake die for unkown reasons.

IBD - Inlcusion Body Disease, another nasty disease that will kill your animals. Symptoms include - [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]central nervous system disorders such as paralysis, being unable to right itself when turned over, "star-gazing", inability to strike or constrict, regurgitation, extreme weight loss, respiratory infections, and unable to slough due to the inability to control body movements enough to rub off the old skin and mouth rot to name a few.[/FONT]

So when my olive cruises around on the grass like a typan in a striking position he's ok would you say.

I can't type fast enough....LOL.

OPMV affects respiratory system first. Then spreads into other areas.

Sorry i'm on a need to know mission , This disease really freaks me out and not to mention how freaked my snake will be if he got it. Where do i buy this F10 cleanser stuff.

Earl

it's worth every penny and goes a long, long, long way, so don't be scared of the price. The 5 Litre concentrate lasts a massive keeper many many many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back