Opmv

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F10 can be brought from the Vet, some herp stores and medical supply stores. It's quite expensive and effective.

I believe though that some people have been put into a panic into using industrial grade disinfectants.

As a cost effectiveness and basic management, especially for new herpers who only have a few snakes as opposed to the the hudreds that some breeders own out there, I generally suggest a minimum of a damp wipe (i usually spray bottle the soltion) down of Milton's solution (can be brought from most supermarkets in the baby aisle as it is used to disinfect baby bottles and nappies), then wiped off with a clean damp cloth (or papaer) after several minutes, followed by (if possible) direct sunlight. The combination these 2 will generally kill most of the bugs found in your enclosure if done regularly and with attention to detail.

I use mild mix of normal dis infectant and boiling water, then rinse really well with boiling water...Is that ok?

WA already has both diseases over there.

I'm aware of it and they already aware that they have several researchers there working on it. WA Government placed the no importation rule as an apparent mitigation factor in order to protect their herps (and to make people believe it isn't already there), even though I believe that the disease is already there. They are finding it difficult to get infected specimens at this point apparently and also they are looking at a correlation in that it tends to effect only one species in collections i.e. morelia ill infect only other morelia and not antaresia and Vicky Versa

I use mild mix of normal dis infectant and boiling water, then rinse really well with boiling water...Is that ok?

Boiling water is fine unless you have a ood or melamine enclosure IMO. Boiling ater tends to delaminate particle boards and MDF.

Yes this maybe OK, but it is suggested that F10 may actually kill the virus. The ARP fog's rooms regularly (after hours) and beleive it aids in prevention altogether.

There is some great claims being made (like it even kills bird flu etc) not yet fully backed up by science. I can only say good things about it (it even cleans glass better than windex). It also dissolve Urates and makes them super easy to clean.

Once you start using it, you'll find yourself cleaning the whole house with it. I walk round with a trigger spray as soon as I get home from work come to think of it LOL.

Disinfectants, metho, bleach etc etc will not kill OPMV along with many other viruses. They may work well as an anti-bacterial but that's about it.

F10 is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-sporal and anti-viral. There is not much it won't kill. For your real nasty viruses like OPMV, parvovirus and bird flu etc etc. you need to dilute to 1:125 F10 to water and allow 30 min contact time for it to be effective. mixing it any stronger will not make any difference, it still needs 1/2hr contact time. You don't need to rinse out your enclosure either when finished. just replace your animals.

Yes this maybe OK, but it is suggested that F10 may actually kill the virus. The ARP fog's rooms regularly (after hours) and beleive it aids in prevention altogether.

There is some great claims being made (like it even kills bird flu etc) not yet fully backed up by science. I can only say good things about it (it even cleans glass better than windex). It also dissolve Urates and makes them super easy to clean.

Once you start using it, you'll find yourself cleaning the whole house with it. I walk round with a trigger spray as soon as I get home from work come to think of it LOL.

LOL, I find I use 10 times as much now, compared to repticlean that I used to use.

They'd be more than aware of it - especially after the IBD outbreak at Armadale Rep Centre a few years ago

Armadale Reptile Centre??? REALLY??? how do ya know about that? was it well known or all hush hush? and how bad was it?

and yeah im aware of the authorites burying there heads in the sand so to speak...all authorities from all areas do it to make it look like its nothin to worry bout...and in the case that these diseases ARE in WA, why cant the ****ers get rid of the importation ban...as far as im aware its only on pythons atm (so adrian coleman told me)...also can other herps apart from pythons get them?

Apart from snakes, the only lizard species it has been found in is the tegus from overseas. So at this stage, any lizards out here are safe.

LOL, I find I use 10 times as much now, compared to repticlean that I used to use.

I know what you mean! My wife thinks it's funny, she comments on what a changed man I am in relation to cleaning. I fill up my old rept-clean bottle and empty it weekly and keep remembering the cost difference. The dilution rate is fantastic and the snakes don't mind it at all.

Armadale Reptile Centre??? REALLY??? how do ya know about that? was it well known or all hush hush? and how bad was it?

It was prior to licensing and was quite well known at the time - from memory it was suspected to have come from an eastern states python that they were housing for someone. They lost a lot of animals through it.

WA would be crazy to let in eastern states animals when so many of the keepers here are inexperienced and have no idea about hygiene, quarantining etc. Im continually amazed how many people keep multiple animals in the same enclosure etc

F10 is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-sporal and anti-viral. There is not much it won't kill. For your real nasty viruses like OPMV, parvovirus and bird flu etc etc. you need to dilute to 1:125 F10 to water and allow 30 min contact time for it to be effective. mixing it any stronger will not make any difference, it still needs 1/2hr contact time. You don't need to rinse out your enclosure either when finished. just replace your animals.

Make no mistake hugsta, i agree with you. It's really great stuff and is the dux of the disinfectant world for our herps. That is, if you can afford it and especially if you have a lot herps. I am offerring alternatives to little johnie 10 year old, who only has pocket money to spare and has only one or two pythons he keeps.

The big crux with industrial disinfectants as well is compliancy. If not correctly fololowed to manufacturers directions to the letter, they tend to be ineffective. And what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. That goes especially well with bugs and other pathogenic organisms - kinda like MRSA or Golden Staph infections you get in hospitals. We now have only one Antibiotic that works on it and it is vancomycin and it is only a matter of time before that becomes useless.

When I do use F10, I still aim to wipe down the enclosure with a clean damp cloth. Why I say this is that F10 is cytotoxic - damages cells at a cellular level. And experience with other similar chemicals like viraclens - used in hospitals and you are told several years don the track that it eventually affects your DNA, you tend to be kinda careful.

In either case this is JMO

P.s. Check this link out which has a study on different disinfectants

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/.../tap/hygiene-protocols/pubs/disinfectants.pdf

You'll see on this one F10 doesn't affect mycoplasma - hich is a cuase of Respiratory Infections in man and beast. And yes I know it's aimed at our avian counterparts

Last edited:
yeah i was gonna say that if something so powerful enough to get rid of stuff like ompv, then id wanna be rinsing the enclosure well...something that can kill bacteria's like that could easily kill our herps (i would think anyways), but i do realise that it may say that ya dont have to rinse on the bottle or whatever...

Yeah, im just sayin that i personally would be vary careful usuing it, its obviously quite powerful...DARN 900 SEC RULE ARGHH

Last edited:
ARP have been using for cleaning and fogging for ages now and have had no noticable ill affects.

I was going to question whether using strong products such as F10 have a chance of allowing the viruses to get stonger and mutate or what not to be able to withstand our chemicals and F10...? Thanks for those llinks adbacus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back