Opmv

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is ARP and what is fogging?????

ARP = Australian Reptile Park (correct me if I'm wrong)

fogging = a machine is used (a fogger) to turn liquids into a mist or fog which can help create a fine over material or surfaces based on what the material is for. What I've normally seen used for fogging is Peregin or Permethrin to drive away mites and mosquitos. Generally people wear full protective quipment when fogging as the chemical used may be non toic in small doses, but as it becomesa fog, it becomes a vapour/respiratory hazard.

As for tests, a test is being devloped apparently using PCR - polymerase chain reaction. It uses a machine to detect and define the illness by finding key DNA sequences. It's already idely used for people - They use it to test for the for common STDs, the Clap, Gono and Chlamydia. These are only some examples. What needs to be done is to determine the key DNA strand that defines the illnesses as IBD and OPMV.

Who is doing this development. Is there anything that can be done to help?

IsK

The person doing the research is Tim Hyndman. Here is a copy of a post by Tim from another forum (hope Tim and ARF don't mind! The more people know about all this the better)

Hello everyone, my name is Tim Hyndman and I am the vet from WA researching OPMV in Australian Snakes. I'm sorry that so many people are having so many problems with this insidious virus. It is truly devastating. I have used the username Switzerland deliberately as I will not be judgemental to anyone affected by the disease - no matter what they have done.

What we are doing here at Murdoch is trying to develop an OPMV test. This is for a PhD which typically take a minimum of three years. We hope to develop a test that can accurately detect a snake that is infected or has been infected with OPMV. We are hoping to accomplish this in two ways. The first is to do the "DNA test" (others have mentioned) for the virus itself. What this means is we take a sample from the snake and try and find the genetic code in the sample that is unique to the virus we are looking for ie we find the virus's genetic code in the sample, then the virus must be in the snake. Unfortunately, the current stumbling block with this part of the project is working with the genetic material the virus is made of. It is made of RNA and not DNA. RNA is similar to DNA but different in ways beyond the scope of this short message. RNA is MUCH MUCH harder to work with than DNA. It very easily gets broken down and is thus harder to identify. We are currently trying to iron these problems out. Once we have extracted the RNA from the snake sample it must then be manipulated into a form that the test, we intend to use, can handle.

So the first part of the test is the "DNA test" (would be more accurately called an "RNA test") looking for the virus itself. This test will probably prove quite expensive (and no, I will not guess at how much the test may cost) and would be used for single snakes that are suspected of being infected. The second part of the test is a different test that is looking for antibodies that have been created against the OPMV the snake has. When you get infected by a virus your body mounts an immune response against that virus by firing lots of antibodies at the virus. These antibodies are very specifically designed against the particular virus, in our case OPMV. The test works by looking for these specific antibodies. So if we find a huge amount of these "OPMV antibodies" then the snake had or has the virus. Unfortunately, this test cannot easily distinguish between a snake that has the virus versus a snake that had the virus. The test can be modified to try and differentiate the two but once again that goes beyond the scope of this short message. This would be something you would discuss with your herp vet. This part of the test would be a lot cheaper and would be used for testing an entire collection. It would be foreseeable that animals could be tested by both tests to give a more accurate result ie either test validating the other.

Both of these tests have been done before to some extent. The second one (the antibody test) is available commercially in the US and the UK. The difficulty lies in us obtaining the export permit for the sample and what is sometimes even harder, the import permit that the US and UK often needs to get to receive our samples. The first test (looking for the virus itself), as far as I am aware, has been done in research circles only and is not available anywhere commercially. It is for the reason that these tests have already been done to some extent that I am confident we will be able to develop a test for OPMV in Australia.

So that is what we are trying to do at Murdoch at the moment. It must also be remembered that there are lots and lots of different aspects to the research just to get you to the point of where you can start developing the tests. So please be patient and hopefully we will be able to come up with something sometime (no I will not guess when that might be).

As for the donations mentioned on this forum. It is very kind that you are thinking of the greater cause but unfortunately we are probably not in a position (right now anyway) where we could take animals. So keeping animals in quarantine or euthanasing them and getting high quality samples out of them are perhaps the best alternatives right now. I would recommend the first option because as someone else on this forum accurately put it, it may turn out that some of your animals are confirmed to NOT have the disease. However, if euthanasia seems like the only humane option then please have your informed herp vet contact me about a good sampling procedure.

The other big issue which seems to be raised on these forums regularly is that about transmissibility. There is only one scientific paper (to the best of my knowledge) that has looked into the transmission of OPMV. In this paper, a number of captive-bred adult Rattlesnakes were infected with OPMV by injecting a pure form of one of the strains of the virus into the snakes' windpipes. The snakes then showed signs of OPMV in their lungs 4-22 days later. Please do not assume that it takes 4-22 days to get OPMV as different strains of the virus would act differently as would different ways of receiving the virus. In this case a massive dose of a very pure form of the virus was injected directly into the airways. In conclusion this area is poorly understood and strict isolation of animals is the only way to be sure.

The final issue I want to raise is about quarantine. To the best of my knowledge, there is no information out there about how long an animal can be isolation not showing signs of illness before they can be considered free of the disease. Someone on this forum stated that who knows it may be five years before the virus shows itself in the snake. We simply do not know. The recommendations of quarantine times that have been made by some veterinarians in the literature are all determined based on their own personal observations. Basically, the recommended time is the longer the better.

My final words are please be patient. I truly believe with quarantine, openness and testing we can tackle this virus head on.

Cheers, Tim.

IMO, the best way to control OPMV is with strict quarantine. I guess it could be possible for the virus to mutate into a more resilient strain after continuous use of strong disinfectants but if we quarantine animals properly we could be rid of the disease eventually .

You will never eradicate it. I personally believe it has always been in Australian, in the wild and in captivity. You ask any old snakey and they'll tell you about wild caught captives dying suddenly with classic OPMV symptons 20,30,40 years ago. I believe it is a naturally occuring virus found in wild populations. Maybe importations brought in a few different strains, but i still believe it was here in one form or another from day dot. That's just my opinion.

I'm amazed that not many newbies seem to have heard about IBD & OPMV even though in NSW when you receive your reptile licence(not sure about other states)you also receive a booklet on the hygiene protocol for the control of disease in captive snakes which gives a fairly thorough explanation on both these viruses, so I don't understand why very few new licence holders don't know about these viruses when it's pretty much the only info you receive with your licence???

You will never eradicate it. I personally believe it has always been in Australian, in the wild and in captivity. You ask any old snakey and they'll tell you about wild caught captives dying suddenly with classic OPMV symptons 20,30,40 years ago. I believe it is a naturally occuring virus found in wild populations. Maybe importations brought in a few different strains, but i still believe it was here in one form or another from day dot. That's just my opinion.

True we will probably never eradicate OPMV. However, it could be controlled in collections if we only kept captive bred snakes and not removed them from the wild.

True we will probably never eradicate OPMV. However, it could be controlled in collections if we only kept captive bred snakes and not removed them from the wild.
That will never happen either.

I'm going to buy my own tropical island and live there, then maybe I have some hope.

I agree with you shane that there is something like OPMV that has been here for ever. It's hard to say that they are one in the same. There has definitely been something affecting morelia displaying those symptoms for ever IMO.

Wether it's a similar virus, the same or a different strain who knows. It is widely beleived that there are several strains.

I agree that there is a good chance OPMV is native to Australia.

Regarding things like Metho etc.. not killing OPMV, i really cant see how OPMV could be so strong outside of a host............... Even the nasty AIDS virus is very weak outside a host with something as simple as household soap enough to kill it......

Does anyone have a link to futher reading on OPMV life span out side of a suitable host?

I'm not aware of any literature covering that but I'll give you an example.

The bacterial disease American Foul Brood in honeybees is fatal and infectious on material for over 50 years. The only means of killing the nasty is by gamma irradiation with cobalt 40. People have tried things as drastic as soaking equipment with caustic soda with little effect on the pathogen.

I know we are talking about a virus here and not a bacteria, but some can be worse than others off the host. Lets hope OPMV is not.

I'm new to the whole 'snake keeping' thing, and am aware of both these diseases and have read about them a fair bit.

I don't know how common they are though. Anyone know?

The way things are right now, i wouldnt go to a herp meeting if people took snakes, or a expo for that matter..............

If you took your animal to one of these events or purchased you of course would need to isolate that animals from the rest of your collection for atleast 12 months plus.

Something to think about.......

Its a real shame

Can an adult snake pass it on to the hatchlings (even if done through an incubator)?

I know some diseases can't be passed from mother to child in humans, was wondering if it was the same with this disease in snakes.

I'm only new to this, but have a fair understanding of viruses and the likes from my biology degree, so I'm just having a stab at this one.

I would imagine that there could be a slight chance that it may be passed from mother to hatchlings, even if they are hatched in an incubator. It would be a much greater chance for snakes with live young such as boas etc.

But there would be a very good chance of the hatchlings getting it, if in the excitment of having new hatchlings went and handled them after handling the infected mother.

This is just my theory anyway, might be wrong.

Kyro, I didn't get the booklet with my license? But luckily I already knew about these shocking diseases.

Cheyno,

My understanding is it isnt passed onto the young in egg.

In the US they purchase whole clutches because of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back