1 new snake, first snake distressed HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamGrace

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, im sam. I've had a Darwin carpet python for around a year now, and have just brought home a approx 2 year old bredli, and ever since, my Darwin has been acting really strange. He was the most placid pet! Now he's really jittery and hard to calm down. I don't know what to do! I only get the 2 snakes out separately. I haven't tried feeding either yet, but both are due around now.

How old is the Darwin and what sex? Could be because it's coming up to the cooler months/breeding season?
I really don't know what else would be causing it. My Pythons are next to each other in their enclosures and even when I've introduced a new addition there has been no attitude change from any of them.

Um.. I hope you don't actually mean that you haven't fed your Darwin for the entire year you have owned him, because that would certainly be the reason he is "jittery".

Um.. I hope you don't actually mean that you haven't fed your Darwin for the entire year you have owned him, because that would certainly be the reason he is "jittery".

Haha no they are just due for a feed. I'm not sure how old either are exactly, but the Darwin is approximately 18 months, and the bredli is about 2-3. I don't know the gender of the Darwin. But the Darwin is the only one being weird, wouldn't the bredli be off too seeing as he is a male?

what are they housed in? did you change anything prior to gettin the bredli? are the cages real close to each other or something?

May help if you wash/disinfect your hands before you handle each of your snakes. If you handle one, then the other without cleaning your hands, the scent of the other snake could be picked up.

dumb question but they aren't being kept in the same enclosure are they?

Are they in seperate rooms? If not please move one to a different room of the house for a quaratine period of a minimum of 3 months. For all you know your new Bredli could have the Sunshine Virus o_O (Or another disease/parasite from it's previous home. Better to be safe then sorry!) Quarantine is general reptile rule. It is just a precaution to make sure that if your new snake is ill, it does not pass onto all of your other reptiles.

I hope things settle down, best of luck :)

Well the darwins enclosure has changed (moved into a new one) but he / she went all funny prior to the move.

with the washing hands thing, I'd come home from work and handle my Darwin first and it's all funny already.

they are housed separately. The bredli is in the darwins old enclosure, and quite content there, and the Darwin is in a new enclosure. This is due to sizing.
just to clarify again, the Darwin went funny before the move.

The enclosures are in opposite ends of the house. But thank you, that is new to me, and so I have just learned something :) what is the sunshine virus?

What do you mean by "funny" is she snappy? Lethargic? Stressed? It may be the new enclosure causing problems or a feeding issue.

Yeah stressed. Very edgey. Jumpy. But like I said in the previous post, he was stressed before the move.

I'm not sure exactly, but the Darwin is around 18months, and the bredli is around 2 or 3.

I'm not sure exactly, but the Darwin is around 18months, and the bredli is around 2 or 3.
Your problem is with your Darwin? If it is stressing out there is a reason. What is your feeding regime and can you post pics of enclosure? If your snake is agitated or stressed there could be a simple answer that has nothing to do with the introduction of the Bredli. If you give more info you will get better answers.

A change in behaviour is invariably due to one of two reasons - either a change in some aspect of the living or non-living environment or a change in the physiological environment of the animal. Any change in your manner of interacting with it could bring this on. Alternatively the snake may be attaining sexual maturity which has brought on the changes. From what you have indicted, the changes were happening before the other snake was on the scene, so anything alterations as a result of the new snake may well be contributing to the changes but they did not initiate them. Go back and work through the possible triggers before the second snake was on the scene. It is only going to compound the possibilities and the ultimate resolution of the issue if you include both...

Blue

The changes happened the moment the bredli got home. Not before. He was fine before hand. I doubt it has anything to do with the enclosure, as the changes happened, and then the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back