1 question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

Reaction score
to calm down a snake from biting and thrashing around would you wanna hold it more or less or not at all?

How long you had it for? Might be wise to handle it a little bit less, did you let it settle in first?

Try not to be nervous around it, if your worried about it carrying on like a pork chop the animal may sense your nervousness.

You may also be unlucky and have a snake with attitude ;)

Simone.

Maybe just leave it alone for a week or 2 and don't disturb unless you're changing it's water or cleaning out the enclosure. Then start to handle it 2 or 3 times a week, for a couple of weeks and see how he goes?

It's only been a week since you've had him? or he's been left alone for a week, or it's been a week since you've been handling him after school?

Is the enclosure kept in a low traffic area of the house? I keep my stimsons enclosure in my bedroom and for around 14 hours of the day no one is in the room, so it's quiet. Maybe you should just leave him for another week to calm down some more. Also is he eating and shedding fine?

Like someone said, he could be one of those "look but don't touch snakes"

lives in my beeeedroom but does get noisy in there coz i share a room havent fed him yet and hasnt had him long nough for a shead
oh great will some not grow out of this stage?

It all depends on the snakes, Some are placid from day one. My stimson from when I first got her at 3 weeks old you could hold her and she'd be fine, never thought about striking or biting anyone that holds her, even when she's shedding.

Each snake has it's own temperament, I know someone who has a Bredli that hates to be touched, even with a snake hook she'll strike and attempt to attack anything withing striking range.

Most snakes generally tend to grow out of the snappy stage, but I guess that you'll just have to take some bites (if he's a biter) until he realises that you're not a threat to him.

I don't know if you've read an old thread that had information to help people with a bitting snake, But there was something in there about, getting a cloth and wiping some of your sweat onto it and placing it in the enclosure, then leaving the snake alone for 2 weeks. The snake gets use to your smell and associates that smell as a safe smell.

so lave it for anouher week? what bout feding i know they last for a long time with out it suld i try feeding in a couple of days? or leeav it for 1 or two weeeks?
my first never bit me at all

so lave it for anouher week? what bout feding i know they last for a long time with out it suld i try feeding in a couple of days? or leeav it for 1 or two weeeks?
my first never bit me at all

I would just leave him alone for another week or 2, don't worry about feeding him he can go without food for around 3 months. Just leave him alone and don't disturb him unless you're cleaning the enclosure or changing his water.

Then get him out 2 - 4 times a week for 5 - 10 minutes and slowly increase the duration that he is out. Do you know when he last fed? Maybe feed him in another week or 2 weeks.

I reckon just get him out with a snake hook a few times a week, and then once out of the enclosure let him slide through your hands and if he tags you, tough it up! he's only 5 months not much he can do with his little nippers! as everyone else has said, duration about 10 - 15 mins. Make sure your hand s are really clean and free from animal odours.

Davo

Bredli babies are notably snappy (defensive) think about it, no arms , no legs, cant growl to warn you he wants to be left alone in a safe place = warm dark
This helps - put a cardboard globe box in his house for a hide - when you want to get him out he will probably be in his hide globe box - move gently pick it up and look at him in his box
he feels secure in there then slide him out onto the palm of your hand.
I find if you always approach them from beneath they don't feel so threatened
Do this alone with OUT the "help" of friends or family onlooking
he's your snake - bond with him
Hope this helps
Sandee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back