101 questions PLEASE HELP ME!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie-the-snake

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of researching for owning a python.
I have looked everywhere trying to find infomation on enclosures, heating, lighting, feeding how big an enclosure should be... but to my bad luck i have found almost nothing.

If there is anyone out there that could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Well i guess it all depends on what python you are looking at getting.......there is plenty of info around, but it varies for alot of of species!

Tons on this site. Explore, use the search engine! And look forward to your first serpent, not many can stop at one!!

Also important to prioritise. For example, when buying a snake I have a check list in an order:

1. Do I have the room and time?
2. Do I have enough money to look after it? (vet bills, food, heating bills.)
3. What are the husbandry requirements for it and do I know enough to keep it healthy?
4. Can I afford to buy this animal? (to purchase the animal with enclosure + equipment)
5. Is the animal healthy and from a respectable source? (learnt this one the hard way.)

If I answer 'no' to any of these questions, then I won't buy it. In your case, question three is something to focus on. There are fact sheets available online, or just ask in this thread. Someone will be happy to give you suggestions for what you're after. Once you know the name of the snake/lizard you want, it's easy enough to research.

Last edited:
A quick and easy place to find info on breeds/husbandry etc is the "southern cross reptiles" website, check out their articles. That should give you a good start. Its not the only place to get info obviously so keep reading and learning. If you are serious about buying a snake after doing some research the book "keeping and breeding Australian pythons" is a good read.
Remember that as pythons grow so does the cost of feeding them, what costs $1.50 a week to feed now can turn into a $15 a week dinner in a few years. Pet store bought rats etc. are often very pricey and it pays to shop around. Some members here sell off their excess rats at lower prices.
And dont let some chump in a pet store talk you into buying a heat rock, so many new snake owners have found out the hard way that they often end up burning your python.
As said already they can be addictive, you have been warned : )
If you can get something with a good temperament then you shouldnt get scared off of keeping pythons, like some snappy individuals can do.

Aaron d:)/-<

Thanks guys, i never thought of really narrowing it down to a sanke. I think i may be getting myself a juvi Darwin carpet python. Crystal discus, thats a fantastic check list to follow, i will definately be using that in the future.

Aaron thanks for that website they have some really good info on there for beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back