15 Species of Reptiles to be sold in QLD Pet Shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsmyreptiles

Reaction score
There has been a review of the Nature Conservation Regulation 1994.

The following can be sold at pet shops as of 1st March 2004:

Common Name Scientific Name

The following reptiles of the family Agamidae -

central netted dragon Ctenophorus nuchalis
inland bearded dragon Pogona vitticep

family Scincidae -

pink-tounged lizard Hemisphaeriodon gerrardii
eastern blue-tongues lizard Tiliqua scincoides
cunningham's skink Egernia cunninghami

family Chelidae-

eastern snake-neck turtle Chelodina longicollis
saw-shelled turtle Elseya latisternum
krefft's river turtle Emydura krefftii
murray turtle Emydura macquarii

family Geckonidae-

thick-tailed gecko Underwoodisaurus milii
rough knob-tailed gecko Nephrurus asper
smooth knob-tailed gecko Nephrurus laevissimus

family Boidae-

childrens python Liasis childreni
spotted python Liasis maculosus
stimpsons python Liasis stimpsoni

Other changes include not doing returns every 6 months, but rather completing a movement advice for each new animal purchased and the cost for rec licence will be $50 for 5 years :)

the actual license costs about $10 000 for the petshop though and they cant actually keep the animals in the pet shop. they can only advertise them. Still, i dont like the sounds of it, do you guys? do you know if it is Australia wide or just in QLD?

They charge $10,000 for a petshop license? How do they justify charging that fee?
Is that an Australian state standard or are you refering to one state that you live in?

Sounds like it will only be Queensland. There is a petshop owner in our herp club, I will ask him about that 10 grand licence fee.
It would not surprise me though, do you know how much a pub licence costs?

Go gone tell us! Probably something silly like $30,000.
There's no way they can justify these figures.
How often would these Petshop licenses be renewed, or is it once you have it, that's it?

yeah this is what the owner of a big petshop in brisbane told me. they are still deciding whether they are going to do it. Im really not sure if the legislation is going to be changed in other states. She did say that they will be selling childrens pythons hatchlings for around 250-300 dollars which i guess makes it better for us breeders.

nev told me he bought his beardies from a pet shop in melbourne,i thought it was illegal?

you can sell pretty much anything from a pet shop in melbourne.. i have seen advanced animals freely available at many pet shops down here

Greebo is dead right, Woolies owns a bunch of pubs in QLD as that's a req. to open liquor stores up there, our team went to audit them a few months back..

Go Woolies...
All I can say is if the tossers up the road are gonna sell reptiles... SH1T!!!! I swear that most of the info I get from that store is crap!!!! :( This pet shop thing makes me grumpy!!!! Personally I dont like the idea of the commercial trade of herps, especially when there are neanderthols like that giving people dodgy advice... grrrr

before I get on my soap box, just to let everyone know with Emydura macquarii. There are sub-species in this E.macquarii binjing, E.macquarii dharuk, E.macquarii macqacquarii,E.m.gunabarra, E.m. dharra. So there is some more species to add to the list.

I will only say this about reptiles being in petshops, that it should only be done by a "reptile shop only" catering for reptiles only. And I dont like the front man for PIJAC, he is a mindless money making machine that doesnt give a rats **** about reptiles and will go to any length to exploit reptiles anyway that he can. "Down with you arogant PIJAC man :evil: "

I agree with you there... if it was to happen at all... I spoke to a couple of people who worked in pet shops and none of them even have a clue!!! Apparently all staff are required to attend a training day for reptile husbandy... if you think you can get a sound knowledge from a one day course... bullsh1t!!!! Some of them have no experience what so ever and it is by no means going to come from a training day??? What happens when little johnny wanders in and decides he wants a snake because it looks cool???

Heck... arent we all still learning???

we never stop learning and people that think we do in this game are just kidding themselves

stockeh said:
we never stop learning and people that think we do in this game are just kidding themselves

oh so very true....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back