2 diamond clutches

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff ST, can't wait to see the little blighters when they hatch.

I know this may sound strange but many years ago I had a similar thing happen to me with the power being switched off for the day, the problem was that I had an incubator full of various eggs. so all I did was put 2 candles in it, one at each end. every hour i opened it up for 5 mins or so to allow air exchange. it worked a treat the temp stayed spot on and all the eggs hatched when they were due. no problems were had at all. alot cheaper to run than a gen. lol

How long was it between the prelay shed and laying of the eggs??? congratulations by the way. Hope they all hatch for u

herc thats a really cool yet strange and interesting way to incubate egss i wouldnt know what to do if i had a power cut with eggs cooking ide **** myself lol

Congrats Nick!!! :D I'm so happy for ya! Just what the Doctor ordered hey ;)

Now all I need is for my girl to decide whether she's even gravid or not and then let me know :lol: ;)

congrats mate!! well done!!

you said that you predicted the egg laying date, just wondering how long ago she mated for you to guess the date so well?

re 2

Hi serp, dont worry about power outages with diamond eggs its not a problem they can drop to below 20c for a week and survive,they often drop at night in temp,the females just stop shivering to preserve their energy.Diamond eggs will hatch at room temp especially this time of year serp they just take longer :)

Herc, i almost considered candles but thought the flame may rise and melt the underside of the egg container or cause fumes to be given off by the styrofoam insulation.

Junglemad, believe it or not but for one female her pre-lay shed was 40 days before egglaying :shock: The other females was around 35 days(thats a guess).

Souly, mating took place in Sep/Oct, but i didnt predict her egglaying day based on when mating occurred, it was based more on her behaviour and how swollen she was. She'd swollen to the point that i thought she was going to burst. And her restlessness and pacing back and forth was a big indicator. When i saw her pacing as if she was being chased yesterday morning i said to myself " Serpy, todays the day!!"

Zulu, when i have left females on the eggs for maternal incubation i have noticed that the eggs do get quite cold, especially when she leaves them to bask. But i always asumed that with artificial incubation, once the temps are set they must remain steady. I do agree though, diamond eggs can be tougher than expected.

We have our incubator lined with ceramic pavers over the heat tape to create some thermal inertia. We did this not so much for power failures but for the odd super hot days to slow the temperature rise in the incubator but it would work the other way as well.

Prior to using the pavers I have used large bottles of water (juice bottles) which has the same effect.

I would have thought that a reasonably well insulated incubator (that is not opened while the power is off) would take a while for the temperature to drop to the point where it affects the eggs development, particularly if you introduce some thermal inertia into the equation. I am guessing that 6 hours is at the upper limit before I would consider plan B.

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
Make a herper friend very happy this Christmas with
10% off all Barefoot Bushman DVD's at the Herp Shop
BushTucker.gif
SolCroc.gif

thanks for the answer mate. One of mydiamonds shed this week and she looked uncomfortably fat and had refused a feed after a break of 4 weeks. Fingers crossed! It is the diamond that i thought was too young like you thought with yours and not my big one that i focused all my efforts on.
Again thanks for reply and I hope you hatch out some lovely diamonds like their mum. Can u post some pics of dad?

Hi there mate
I am new to this site, but the power generation is right up my alley with the work I do. The power authorities have to provide alternative power if you cannot be disconnected, eg fridges at the pub, incubators with eggs, etc. It is all part of the service you pay for in every bill.
I actually have a small generator permantently connected as I live near a powerstation and a big substation. The power can go off 4 or 5 times a year for more than few hours, sometimes a day. I fire it up and I am the only one in my street with power! When I get set up properly I will make it auto. My friends think it is overkill, but they are the first around when the power goes off.
Perfect for a power failure with eggs in the incubator.
Mark

ST, I put the candles on the same shelf as the egg containers. my incubator was also lined with foam. no probs occurred. there wasn't even a smell in there. but a tip... don't use scented candles. lol

nice male...i see he has been getting a few rats now his part of the job is done

Belated Thanks

Thankyou Sir Serp* for your most generous reply.

That pic of your incubator is a classic example of aussie ingenuity. :idea:
It's a simple but effective design.
Please don't deconstruct it. :wink:
It's a collectors item. One of a kind! 8)

Thanks for your expertise & for sharing the moment.

I hope the eggs are doing well.
Let us know how things go.

I'll be looking for that frantic pacing you speak of.

Cheers, zen

Attention[*Edit]: Mr. Alcini I'd like to remind you that local custom dictates that correct titles are applicable when addressing Lord Serpent.

just a quick question ? will female diamonds breed and lay eggs every year. the reason i ask is mine had 25 eggs last year. i saw her matting this year but no eggs.

johno....................

Hi Johno,

You asked
will female diamonds breed and lay eggs every year.
In the wild it appears that Diamond Pythons typically reproduce every second or third year.
In captivity, female Diamonds reproduce every second year. (Geodie Torr)

I've heard cases of them reproducing in consecutive years but also reports of it severely affecting their health & reducing their lifespan.

Best to give them a year off in between I reckon.

I've read that mating without eggs being produced is "...often simply the result of well cared for, sexually active animals and may occur at any time of the year..." ( Kortlang & Green).

Serpenttongue, nice pics of that beaut male of yours.
He's got lovely clean little diamonds/rosettes on a nice black ground.

They'll make beautiful babies. 8)

Stefano, I think you'll find that they're probably Illawarra bloodline, even though they do look similar to Zulus Wiseman's Ferry specs he posted in the "Diamond Fanatics" thread.
By the way, how's your Morelia book going?

zen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back