20% Humidity... Enough?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep humidity low you can use, whats that stuff called, err um, BC I think it is :)
Or one of those closet camel thingys but keep it out of reach of the animals :)

I am struggling with maintaining humidity in my proserpine carpet's enclosure. I have tried covering all vents, putting more water bowls in the enclosure and putting a larger water bowl directly below the heat source (20cm away from 150W ceramic element). Everything i try seems to make the humidity worse. The python is overdue for a shed. I think he has even passed the cloudy stage ages ago, but never actually shed. Now the tips of the scales on his underside have "peeled". Is there such a thing as a humidifier for reptile enclosures that has a "thermostat" type system to maintain humidity between 2 set points? I think a common humidifier used for kids would be way to strong for an enclosure that is 1.2m H x 0.5m D x 1m W. Any suggestions?

A photo or drawing of your enclosure showing vents etc might be helpful. Heat dosent penetrate downwards too far. about 1 ft at max imo. I had similar problems with humidity with my older enclosre , talleer and a bit larger. water is just too far from the heat, even directly beneath.
I ended up getting a new smaller enclosure, sacrificing luxurious space for climatic comfort. P.s , by larger water bowl do you mean deeper or larger water surface area? A larger water surface area will help because the larger the surface area, the more evaporation going on. cheers. :wink:

This is the enclosure. The bottom vent has now been completely covered with thick fabric. There is also a similar size vent at the top of the enclosure at the back. I have draped the same fabric over the vent at the top. So ventilation is severely restricted but the enclosure is not airtight. I have also made a stand under the heat element (on the left had side at top) which has a large (dog) bowl of water on it.

The water bowl is 15-20cm diameter, by 5-10cm deep. The temp at the water bowl is 30 degrees. The i topped the water bowl up today. Half had evapourated over the last 4-5 days, so i guess about half a litre or so.

Hmm, sounds ok, perhaps you could try just using a standard cat litter tray (holds about 5 litres) more surface area, just on the floor. It would restrict floor space a bit but might work. How big is thje snake? Its important for it to be able to soak in the water bowl, bigger the snake bigger the bowl. cheers. p.s. looks good! :D

LOl@ "Trouser"......about as original as monty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

p.s good luck, let us know how you go please. :wink:

Since i put the litter tray in the enclosure the humidity has risen to about 30% from 15%. So the extra surface area of water has helped but i dont think it'll be enough for him to shed. I'll buy a sponge to put in the litter tray and try that on the weekend sometime. What does everyone think? Should i aim for about 50-60% to induce a shed?

You could try putting it higher under the heat source now, maybe make a hide beneath? or put a heatmat underneath it. 50-60% sounds right as a normal level. (mines at 55%) He will shed again when hes ready mate. :wink:

I have the same problem, my murrays enclosure is 1200x1500x600 i have two heaters....one 100watt ceramic that is on 24/7 and a red lamp for night time which only comes on for about 6 hours or so. my water bowl is about a foot away from the ceramic and if i put the hydrometer sensor above my water bowl its only on 20% like the rest of the enclosure. now and again it climbs a bit never over 35% and even then it doesnt stay that high for long.

He's going through a longer than average shed at the moment and i spray the cage daily. i have one vent standard size cupboard vent, about 20cms long. i will try the cat litter tray in the bottom. but i doubt it will work, i used to have two in there and it did nothing.

I'll post some pics, but they are not very good

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

On a humidity related(kinda) note, just to save making a new thread, my darwin had her first (since i bought her) shed last night, nice and clean, np, just trying to get her eating a ratpup tonite. yah. pics will be added soon.

On thing i found very good for raising humidity is an ultrasonic fogger, it is compleatly safe

i dont have any experience with taller enclosures yet but what about a heat mat or hot box type of thing on the bottom and then putting the cat litter tray on top of it? then its getting heated directly from below and the snake could use it as a nice warm spot to sit after eating maybe? just a suggestion :)

Does everyone here monitor their humidity in their cages with a hygrometer?
Couldnt you just see how the snake sheds, and if there arn't any problems then you could gather that the humidity is fine.

Regards Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back