20% Humidity... Enough?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep both MD and bredli and i make no effort with humidity or with any of my snakes i don't even worry about it unless there sheding.

Don't worry to much about, raise it a bit if you want, won't make much dfference.

thats good mate, but remember Angel is a newby, its her job to worry. lol

I like your signature, Angel!
My mother in law says, ?if I can?t take it with me I?m not going?.
(Money)
:lol:

Greebo said:
You're snake will DIIIEEEEE at those levels!
LMFAO This from the guy that just stated people exagerate the importance of humidity.

Please tell me you could sense the sarcasm...I made it pretty obvious...

NoOne said:
How humid do people think it gets in inland australia?

In the bredli range and MD range humidity is rarely over 30 or 40% and it's only over that for a short time.

Don't worry about it.
Hmm. I don't know which common pythons live inland, but most of the species kept by beginers do live coastaly and require higher humidity then 20%.
I am not experienced with bredlies, so anybody who keeps bredl. should comment please.
I think also that you have to much ventilation in your enclosure. 20% is anusually low.

sxereturn said:
Please tell me you could sense the sarcasm...I made it pretty obvious...

The problem is that we have newbies who are asking for advice and the comments you give don't help them at all. Sure, you mention your methods, which is a good way to share ideas, but you don't mention the principles of your methods, nor do you mention possible complications and problems that newbies should look out for.

Why didn't you mention in your original post for this thread why these were dangerous levels. Also, if it's so bad and you're an expert, why didn't you mention the correct humidity level so newbies have something to adjust to.

This is the same problem everyone had with your comments in the enclosure set ups thread.

Simon Archibald

Thats what i said in one of my posts, i keep bredls and MDs and low humidity isn't a problem.

Most pythons will do very well if humidty is not viewed this why hygrometers aren't worth the effort most are inaccurate and cause more problems through the keeper worring about it, hence this thread.

I disagree. But you are in title to have your opoinion. I do prefere to have rigt humidity for species i keep. I am sure that if I would keep my Olive pythons in humidity 20%, I wouyld not doo right thing for them. Heating lamp in enclosure can sometimes dry air to extremely low levels. New hobyist can have position of heating element and waterbowl in wrong position and snake can be in constant dry enviroment with out him to know it. In nature, snake have oportunity to choose his spot. In captivity this is hobyist responsibility.

How would one go with Jungle Pythons?
I?m thinking of getting one.
Wouldn?t they need higher humidity and how would one able to monitor it without a hygrometer?
Just wondering.

Yeah I thought so, thanks mate.
Wouldn't like to guess that all the time.

I know what you mean Slatey, i wasn't saying keep all python at low humidty, i was just saying it's not something to stress about, it's not easy to keep a snakes cage at low humidty, alot harder than raising it.

I just think hygrometers cause people to stress as all the ones i've used are so crap that they were sometimes up to 30% out.
The way i know this was from putting them in a container of incubating eggs, this is very close to 100% humidty, the meter showed 70%.

maybe the hygrometer isnt working properly? 3 water bowls sounds heaps for the humidity to only be 20%! what size enclosure are we talking here?

i leave the humidity in my enclosures up to nature usually but i do monitor them incase of extreme highs/lows. my diamonds enclosure has been down to about 33% a few times and he has perfect sheds every time (apart from his very first one when we got him but he was only a baby then :wink: ). i would however probably make a point of keeping higher humidity if i was to get a more tropical snake like a jungle but i havent been there yet lol.

I put mine out in the rain a couple of times a week, will that do?

Seriously though, I like to monitor the humidity levels and have found the Dick Smith ones, (with dual temp readouts as well), to be pretty accurate as measured against a professional humidity logger.
The original problem here sounds as though it is indeed a ventilation problem as the vent is "huge", cover 3/4 of the vent and see what happens. The enclosures vent that is, not the snakes :)

Thanks guys i will definately do that, as neither of my snakes have been appreciating the misting...... and it only raises the humidity for about 40 mins till the heater dries it all up again...
My trouble is getting behind the enclosure to cover the vent, i will have to wait for some muscley men to have some free time...

Angel

You are right NoOne about dificulty to keep enclosure in lower humidity. I find that dificult during the time when my diamond had respiratory problem and vet recommended to keep humidity at 30%.
In sydney we had humid air at that time and I had battle on my hands LOL.
Regarding the hydrometers, I am finding the new digital hydrometers quite good. I have some from Herp shop and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back