2nd snake advice???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a 2nd snake, I have a wheatbelt stimson at the moment, I'm now trying to decide between a hypo bredli or albino darwin, besides the price difference has anyone else got experience with either or both? Thanks

Bredli's are pretty much one of the best tempered, easy to keep and hardiest of all Morelia. Can't go wrong in my books.

Hi there - we have owned a number of both, and currently have hatchling hypo bredlis.

You will find the further northerly your snakes are - Jungles, GTPs and Darwins - the more temperamental they tend to be. I absolutely hands down would recommend a bredli over a Darwin any day. For a second snake, the Bredli will nurture your confidence, and the Darwin may well destroy it.

I have 3 of each, and one of the bredli (female) is a complete *****, albino darwins are reputed to be rather calm in comparison to normal darwins, while ive never owned normal darwins, my albinos have a lovely temperament despite hardly being handled.(i dont believe in bullying my snakes into submission by handling the hell out of them)
Ofcourse my male bredli is my favourite of all my snakes, but im biased because he was my first snake and he was the reason i ended up with more snakes. Even though my male bredli is my favourite, the darwins are definately more eye catching and as far as most people are concerned, far better looking.
If price doesn't matter, id go with the albino darwin,....

I keep a Bredli, Albino Darwin, and a normal Darwin (albeit 100% Het for albino).

In my opinion you can get good and bad in all - although cranky Albino Darwin's seem to be rare. Albino's are an impressive animal in terms of colour/pattern. My Het Darwin is also spectacular for a Darwin and despite having very little handing by the breeder and kept in a tub (he was a holdback that was passed on at 2 years) he has not even looked like striking and despite being a little flighty has been easily handled by my children since we got him.

My Bredli is the greatest sook known to man....He has grown into quite a solid powerful animal that has not even slightly considered using his strengths against us. Again he is an animal that is regularly handled by my children. In saying this, I have seen some Bredli that are devils.

It all comes back to the same thing - each snake is different and there are angels and demons in all of them. We try to avoid the devils but sometimes the odds go against us. That is reptile ownership. As the Albino's tend to be less agro than their natural coloured cousins I would lean this way if this is a big priority and $$ are not a concern.

If the $$ are restricted a Bredli can be a beautiful captive animal and in most cases will have a lovely nature akin to most Albino Darwins. At the end of the day you should buy what appeals to you and fits within the allocated budget as either of these can be a treasure to own as my two are treasured by myself and my family.

Ok thanks for the advice, they both grow similar in size don't they?

My experience has been that my albino darwin has been the spawn of Satan until recently and would go all chainsaw massacre on me every time I'd look at him yet my 100%het darwin is an absolute dream she even gives me kisses . My bredli has always been a dream and has never show any inkling she was going to even try and get me.
I think the best thing you can do is get what you want as if you don't you will always wonder if you made the right decision I have found that out as i have listened to what other people around me who have said that anteresia are for sooks so i steered away from them for the sake of not being called a sook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back