60 Minutes - Pathetic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmikk

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone just see that pathetic excuse for journalism '60 Minutes' just aired on the Great White Shark - entitled 'The Ultimate Assassin'?

Did a whole lot a harm to the conservation of the species, 'assassin', 'cunning' etc....

Just a whole lot of old footage, nothing new or ground breaking and everything to just reinforce media perpetuations of these magnificents creatures being mindless killers.

No mention was made of their key role in the marine ecosystem, recent ground breaking studies on migration, feeding patterns etc...

Just more sensational, commercial TV trash.

Makes me sick.

What do you expect, its 60 minutes. It has gone down the road of becoming the slightly more classy A Current Affair.

:lol: i saw the add and thought it would be as you described, for some strange reason i watched a it for a minute to make sure.

have you spent alot of time watching white sharks?? having fished for many years and seen the way white will stalk and follow a bait id say they are both smart and cunning. ive also seen them refuse a bait with a hook ( yes before their capture was banned ) so there another smart thing about them not putting themself at risk for a feed. there will allways be greens against the rest, wether its 60 minutes or anyone else reporting on an animal. i didnt see of hear anything that was negetive about this shark

60 minutes, 40 minutes of crappy old news and 20 minutes of commercials.

Utter crap (although i expect no less from 60 minutes). Have recently watched Sharkwater - tossing up whether to go to the chatroom and point out that that sort of story is exactly not the type of thing that needs to be shown atm. Yeah, lets get people to fear them more - idiots :evil:

Just an easy, cheap way of filling up space they had nothing for, so they've dusted off a few archived film-reels and put a new dialogue to it, typical!!!!!!! It's much easier to work on emotion than fact!!!!!

have you spent alot of time watching white sharks?? having fished for many years and seen the way white will stalk and follow a bait id say they are both smart and cunning. ive also seen them refuse a bait with a hook ( yes before their capture was banned ) so there another smart thing about them not putting themself at risk for a feed. there will allways be greens against the rest, wether its 60 minutes or anyone else reporting on an animal. i didnt see of hear anything that was negetive about this shark

No, I have not had the privelege of watching White Sharks for real, but I have read and viewed just about everything on these great animals, including a doco about a South African guy who free dives with GWS and tried to put them into a catotonic state, absolutely superb footage, I won't say how it ends, but if you are a nature lover, youwill be astounded.

Of course they don't come out and say, 'let's kill all GWS, they are maneaters' that sort of confrontedness is not accepted, so you need to be a little more 'cunning' which commercial tv is. Just have a look at the segment's title...'The ulitimate assassin', that in itself conjures negative conotations in most people and the whoel story simply followed that line with no new our ground breaking information.

I've seen a doco on the south african who guy . It's is amazing how he just pats the sharks noses and they are sort of hypnotized . Wouldn't mind trying this myself one day.. Even Rodney Fox the guy that was attacted in the 1960's by one , after he went after every great white grew to have respect for them eventually..

I didn't see tonights show I don't watch comercial TV . Would rather fill my time doing something way more constructive.....

it could of been a story about snakes and it would get the same hype. 99% of the public just dont know and believe all of what is reported wether its fact or not. and some people will find a negetive side to every story

No, I have not had the privelege of watching White Sharks for real, but I have read and viewed just about everything on these great animals, including a doco about a South African guy who free dives with GWS and tried to put them into a catotonic state, absolutely superb footage, I won't say how it ends, but if you are a nature lover, youwill be astounded.

Of course they don't come out and say, 'let's kill all GWS, they are maneaters' that sort of confrontedness is not accepted, so you need to be a little more 'cunning' which commercial tv is. Just have a look at the segment's title...'The ulitimate assassin', that in itself conjures negative conotations in most people and the whoel story simply followed that line with no new our ground breaking information.

Completely agree - is it really that amazing that something that has been around for 400 million years is pretty good at what is meant for - being a predator? Why not report on the fact that they have lived through how many die-offs (dinosaurs etc), and have never been threatened until now?

And going beyond the title
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=648165
"Here's some chilling news. Just what you want to hear as you head back to the beach this summer. Sharks are not only deadly, they're smart, too. And the one we fear most, The Great White, is the smartest of them all."

Creating fear - the ultimate tabloid journalism :evil:

mrmikk - have you watched Sharkwater? I recommend it to all.

i think everyone is over reacting here....

i didnt see anything wrong with it.... they ARE the ultimate assassin....

thats what they were built for! and have been so for how many years?

As much as i love sharks i decided not to watch this one-there was a doco on the abc about the galapogas islands-much better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back