60 Minutes - Pathetic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I didnt know Orcas eat whites....i missed the 60 min thing as i was watching the doco on abc too .....

Sharkwater looks like a great film...I have just checked out some of the footage on youtube

yep,
I agree with cockney red, orcas are the ultimate predators of the ocean. I would rate the saltwater croc higher than the great white aswell.

Taken from 60 minutes webchat -

"Ian Gordon: I fear for sharks in all of the oceans of the world. With the increased fishing activities of man, coupled with pollution and global warming many species of sharks' days are numbered. Interestingly, there have been many challenges for sharks over the last 400 million years and I would like to think that as a specie they will be adaptable enough to deal with the threat of man. Only time will tell."

So why the negative connotations in the story (the intro - "Here's some chilling news. Just what you want to hear as you head back to the beach this summer. Sharks are not only deadly, they're smart, too. And the one we fear most, The Great White, is the smartest of them all")? Why not instead do a show on their and every other shark in the world's plight? The fact that we are wiping out such an awesome (and intelligent) predator?

The problem with stories like this is it doesn't make anyone WANT to save them... They should be doing what they did for the whales...

Ultimate Assasin.
1. Orca
2.Great White
Orcas eat Whites.

Was just about to type that, killer wales smash everything lol including great whites and baby wales, they seperate the mothers and calfs then eat the babys.

What do you expect, its 60 minutes. It has gone down the road of becoming the slightly more classy A Current Affair.

So true! 60 Minutes just jumps on populist issues ("oooh, sharks are scary") and turns them into sensationalised rubbish. Far from being quality investigative journalism, it is tabloid junk which I refuse to watch.

I watched Galapagos instead and tried to explain the theory of evolution to my 3yo daughter! :lol:

Scorps and cockney red, I though Great Whites were apex predators, ie nothing preyed on them?

Was just about to type that, killer wales smash everything lol including great whites and baby wales, they seperate the mothers and calfs then eat the babys.

you have seen that doco too. it was only the baby's lower jaw and tongue that was eaten.

Scorps and cockney red, I though Great Whites were apex predators, ie nothing preyed on them?

well, i would say an apex predator would be up the top, but i cant think of an apex predator that dosen't get prayed on by another apexy. like us humans. :shock:

pulled from wikipedia-

Apex predators (also alpha predators, superpredators, or top-level predators) are predators that, as adults, are not normally preyed upon in the wild in significant parts of their range. Apex predator species are often at the end of long food chains, where they have a crucial role in maintaining the health of ecosystems.

60 minutes, 40 minutes of crappy old news and 20 minutes of commercials.

IE:....60 minutes of crap !
MrMikk .....I guess that particular story is close to your heart , but don't you find all the other
stories on that program equally idiotic & just plain bad 'journalism' ?.

I used to work with a guy from south africa he was a very keen surfer he told me he believes that alot of shark attacks are caused from all the feeding and cage diving makes them think there is a link between food and people makes sense to me but i do not know much at all about sharks.

Interesting that this comes out a few months after the first shark-finning liscences were issued for the GBR. Just saying, is all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back