$6000 fine for toad invasion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid68

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As if these little buggers aren't moving across our country fast enough by themselves.

Hereld Sun, Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A man has been convicted and fined $6000 for bringing four cane toads and a black-headed python into Victoria from the Northern Territory.
Gary Vredenburg, 49, of Rochester, pleaded guilty in the Bendigo Magistrates' court yesterday to one charge each of both keeping and importing controlled post animals and keeping protected wildlife.
DSE officers and police raided Vredenburg's home on September 6 this year, seizing the four toads and a metre-long native black-headed python. Vredenburg was not licensed to keep native wildlife.
Speaking outside court, DSE senior wildlife investigator Keith Larner said the illegal introduction to Victoria of interstate pest animals, such as cane toads and native snakes, was a very serious offence.
"Cane toads pose a significant risk to Australia's biodiversity, and we rely heavily on the public to help us protect our native flora and fauna," he said.
"Cane toads are prolific breeders and it takes only one pair to wreak havoc."
Vredenburg's conviction was the first of its kind for the illegal introduction of cane toads into Victoria.
Offenders face fines of up to $24,000 and two years' jail for bringing cane toads and protected wildlife into Victoria. The toads were destroyed.
Anyone with information on other illegally kept native animals or exotic reptiles should phone the DSE on 136 186

- Wayne Flower

"Offenders face fines of up to $24,000"

Then why not fine him that!

Set a proper example and others may well be properly deterred. Did he need to bring 16 toads in to get the maximum?

A wonder what component of the fine was for the bhp? Or was that just thrown is as a "job lot"

No wonder people take these risks - the law is pathetic.

IsK

i think the $6000 is a good sign actually,should have been more though,considering the dse have been slapping the wrists of illegal wildlife holders with $1500 to $2500 fines for ages.
maybe it will stop people from transporting toads around the country.
i spose toads would not have a problem with a melbourne climate,they do seem to love the tropics though.

I don't mind the cane toads being destroyed, but I sure hope the BHP ended up in a good home somewhere...

I think the maximum fine of $24,000 is for someone who brings in large numbers of Cane Toads and releases them into the bush on purpose. From other news stories I read it seems this bloke was keeping the toads as pets and had no intention of letting them go.

Shame it's not $24 000 per toad - hmmm lets add that up... $96 000 (I used fingers and toes)...

Then the BHP too... That should easily be another $10 000.... Let's round it up to $120 000.

Isn't the maximum fine for copying a movie like $200 000 - how much biodiversity did that destroy?

An unbelievable system that protects the guilty... $6000 *cough cough* I think i will do it again if it's that cheap!

It's bio-terrorism maybe?

Well, that's my say...

Shame it's not $24 000 per toad - hmmm lets add that up... $96 000 (I used fingers and toes)...

Then the BHP too... That should easily be another $10 000.... Let's round it up to $120 000.

Isn't the maximum fine for copying a movie like $200 000 - how much biodiversity did that destroy?

An unbelievable system that protects the guilty... $6000 *cough cough* I think i will do it again if it's that cheap!

It's bio-terrorism maybe?

Well, that's my say...

I like your thinking. You can put your soap box near mine next time we preach. :)

IsK

I like your thinking. You can put your soap box near mine next time we preach. :)

IsK

I am both honoured and flattered... :) Would be wonderful just to share the same street as you and your soap box let alone the one right next to yours...

Apart from owning my first pair of real wire snips, this has been the happiest moment of my last 2 months... haha...

My 4 year old daughter thinks they're great. She gets mad at me when i 'accidently' run them over in the car. She keeps asking for one as a pet...mind you we have 4 diff species of aust frogs here not to mention all the snakes and lizards, scorps and spiders. Sheeesh.

a life time sentence in aust is only 14 years so much for life time??

i reckon the punishment should be the BHP should be made to strangle him =)

poor snakie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back