A gecko's diet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What household items would a gecko eat ie; fruit, bread, cheese, whatever? Thanks.

Some geckos will eat fruit mush or drink fruit juice, but aussie natives are almost exclusive insectivores.

Ah okay. Thanks. I read on a site that they eat mangos and stuff like that but wasn't sure it if was an aussie site. Just wanted to know for a backup plan if I ever ran out of crickets for my gecko and he needed food.

This is why you should never impulse buy an animal.

What kind of gecko did you get and what did the petshop tell you to feed it and how to look after it? You said you've put it in your empty snake tank..do you have it setup for a gecko yet?

Can someone get her onto a proper caresheet for it...but horsy you need to tell us what sort of gecko you got, that would help a lot.

I set up my snake tank how the gecko caresheets suggested (It's been misted, has a large branch and a little plant with leaves on it, newspaper bedding as I dont want to put the proper substrate in my snake tank but will put it in my gecko one, a hide and some little beetles. Right now he's up onthe branch) and have researched tons. Am about to go out and buy a proper tank for him now and some food. He was meant to be sold as reptile food but is alert and healthy, a typical asian house gecko. I know how to look after him and feed him, just wanted to know about the fruit for something to occupy him until I go out today and buy him some crickets.

*slaps self on the forehead* :?
Horsy the asian house gecko is an introduced pest!!!
It is illegal to keep them as pets!!!
Please learn a little bit about the animals you purchase in future (before you purchase them).

Jordo, that is not entirely correct.

In NSW, they are on the species list, so its state dependant.

introduced or not,still make good pets,and prolly one of the only reptiles in aus..that you can walk out in the backyard and get a pair,keeps the interest stimulated and costs nothing lol

No he was $10. Being sold as reptile food and he was so gorgeous that I couldn't let him do it. I bought him a large click clack to stay in and set it up all nice. He looooooved the mealworms I gave him and loves his branch. Uploading some photos.

Picture350.jpg

Yeah. Good for me though. There were alot in one cage, all different colours, sizes and breeds. I bought him because he was the runt and the plainest so more likely to get sold first for feed as opposed to the pretty coloured ones for pets. I love him so < 3

They must have starved him. As soon as I put some mealworms down, he shot out of his hide and gobbled them all up. I wish I knew how old he was and if he was fully grown and stuff.

horsy, i still haven't worked you out yet, but anybody that buys a gecko thats a pest just to save it from being food goes up a few levels in my eyes,

to look after your gecko, feed it on bugs, crickets, moths, roaches and anything else that moves and don't listen to anybody that says differently about it, you go girl..........don't forget to mist it every night,

ps, i've kept them myself, now i just keep them for senting pinkies for my hatchling snakes,

Hehe. I love all animals, great and small. He didn't deserve to die. He's gorgeous.

I fed him mealworms and he loved them. Gobbled them right down. How often should I feed him and how many? he ate 4 and would have eaten more but I didn't want to give him too many incase he gets obese.

just a side note, is it legal for petshops to sell them in qld????????? even for food......... i'm really interested in finding out, i might be sitting on a gold mine, pmsl............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back