A gecko's diet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea. I don't really care. I got my little guy and he's happy. We both are.

at this stage i'd feed him as much as he will eat for a few weeks, then cut him back to a few items ever couple days, i don't think you have to worry about him eating to much,

I often have AHG's living in my woody tubs, they do get a bit fat, but not really obese so feed it as much as it will eat IMO.

Okay. I just went to feed him and he was upside down on the roof. Ahhh. He's so adorable. I'm like a mother watching her child walk for the first time.

=D Do you think his tank is big enough and alright looking? Should I add anything else in there for him? He loves his worms. Should I vary his diet and get crickets when the worms run out and vice versa?

Of course they deserve to die. They are worms.

I want to go back in there and just watch him but I dont want to disturb him too much since he's nocturnal and would get annoyed by the light going on and off, me thinks.

Haha. Well ... hush :p I can be a hypocrite. Haha

Stop feeding him Mealworms as the mealworms have a hard shell and it is hard for a gecko to crush the Mealworms hard shell thus the mealworm is alive when it is swallowed and in the belly of Cujo, thus needing to get out and it will eat its way out, and the next morning, Cujo will have a hole in his belly and the mealworm had eaten its way out! Cujo would be Dead!!

AHHHHH. Is this true?

AHHHHH. Crickets next meal. I can't stand the fact of him dying :(

So does anyone know if AHGs will eat any type of dead food? I was thinking of starting up a parasite free colony but it would obviously be alot harder if they needed live food all the time.

AHGs love lights because they attract food, hanging around a light all night is 'natural' behaviour for these guys. The best thing to do would be to get a large plastic tub(or maybe your tank) take off the lid and paint the top 75mm with fluon(can be purchased from www.herpshop.com.au) and have a light setup over it and bugs will automatically fall in and feed it. If you do this you will probably find some of its friends come to visit especially if its a male.

just a side note, is it legal for petshops to sell them in qld????????? even for food......... i'm really interested in finding out, i might be sitting on a gold mine, pmsl............

It shouldnt be unless your local council has laws against it or there is some petshop law that makes it illegal. They are not a declared pest.
I asked the Department of Natural Resources and Water(Queensland) and they said it was ok unless there are local laws against it. I posted it here a few weeks back you can also keep hares too.
They basically fall into the same category as dogs, cats, canetoads, axoltls, horses etc.

Wont he be able to escape though cris?

Not with the fluon around the top they cant grip on it. vaseline may work too but i havnt tried it with them.

If you post a pick of underneath i can tell you if it is actually a he, unless it is too small. Unless you have noticed it calling that is a dead give away that its a male too.

Haha. Cheese was just some random thing, I wasn't being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back