A gecko's diet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasnt called yet. I took a photo of him hanging upside down. I'll upload it now.

omg, not only are you half killing many poor defenceless worms, but your also tryin to get ur gecko eaten from the inside out. are you on some kind of diabolical cruelty rampage....:shock:

:rolleyes:

Ah the flash blurred out most. Still want me to post it up?

=D Do you think his tank is big enough and alright looking? Should I add anything else in there for him? He loves his worms. Should I vary his diet and get crickets when the worms run out and vice versa?

Yes, you could add a kitchen sink, window frame, kitchen china cabinet and flouro light, should make him feel quite at home then.

Cris is on the mark with the tub and fluon. I often fish them out of my woody tubs too, after they greedily jump in, feed on the woodies and can't get back out.

Yes, you could add a kitchen sink, window frame, kitchen china cabinet and flouro light, should make him feel quite at home then.

Well excuse me for wanting to make my gecko feel happy.

sexing.jpg

And this one is just one from when he was in my snake tank. Thought it was cute
cujo.jpg

hehe. ur gecko's house looks pretty roomy, dont think u need to worry lol

When I bought the hide I was afraid it would cover up too much space but it doesnt which is good. Enough room for two?

the chances of that happening are 1 % , i've yet to see a pic of it happening, in my opinion it's a myth.............

i've feed live mealy worms for years with nothing happening, have you seen a gecko feed, tell me a mealworm can get past that mouth and survive?????????

Horsy, that pic is shocking i cant see anything, but a male will have two disticnt lumps near the cloaca. It should be possible to tellif hes 7cm. Also i think Wrasse wasnt having a go at you but just pointing out those things because thats often where you will find them.

I also think the mealworm stories are not worth worrying about and i would suspect other factors are involved in the deaths blamed on them JMO and i havnt experienced it so dont flame.
Monitors swallow them alive all the time with no problems.

Haha I told you the flash ruined it. I'll take a look. I havent seen any lumps and he hasnt been calling so I suspect female. Oh well, still will be called Cujo :p

So does anyone know if AHGs will eat any type of dead food? I was thinking of starting up a parasite free colony but it would obviously be alot harder if they needed live food all the time.

AHGs love lights because they attract food, hanging around a light all night is 'natural' behaviour for these guys. The best thing to do would be to get a large plastic tub(or maybe your tank) take off the lid and paint the top 75mm with fluon(can be purchased from www.herpshop.com.au) and have a light setup over it and bugs will automatically fall in and feed it. If you do this you will probably find some of its friends come to visit especially if its a male.

They will definately lick fruit juice / fruit puree from a dish, but I'd suspect that 90% of their diet would still need to be insects.

Well I gave Cujo alot of meal worms and he loves them. He was out and about all night. I heard him call at around 2 am this morning (damn thing woke me up haha) so must definately be a male. Horray for that.

Yes he might not be flash and colourful like everyone elses, but I think he's gorgeous and got him for the simple fact of how plain and patternless he was. He's like a little chameleon though and changes shades.

as for mealworms eating them out. ITS TRUE i had it happen to one of my first beardies i got, back then there wasnt much info on hersp and i had no way of knowing, perfectly healthy one morning, i gave him a feed of mealies before school. when i got home his abdemon was eaten out and the mealworms (small ones at that) where crawling over it it. very sad it wasnt until a few years latter that i heard people talking about it. imo ITS TRUE. stick with the small crickest as a staple, i have even had baby woodies casue compaction, (the beardie was ok but crapped out its mouth, very interesting) and mix the diet up with these insects but in small amounts and kill the mealys befor feeding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back