Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaksar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well over the past few weeks I have been carefully considering committing myself to my first python and after some thought have made the decision to go ahead.

My first step was to fire up the internet connection and gather as much information as possible and now after 3 evenings of reading web sites and studying material I can honestly say I'm WAY more confused now than when I started!

I have just today submitted my Licence application form to Parks and Wildlife so have a few days wait for that to be completed and thought I would take that time to learn all I can and pick your brains so to speak. So on with the questions.

I am looking for a python that wont grow much bigger than between 120 -150cm long, nothing to huge and intimidating. Can you suggest which python would be right for me based on this? and if possible where I might find one?

I have a small dog (a Shih Tzu X Maltese), He has grown up surrounded by my pet rats (yes they can be more than food ;)), Ferrets and Cockatoo and has never attacked or harassed any of them so I'm fairly sure that he will be OK with the new arrival but just to be sure I was wondering if anyone had had any 'bad experiences' with snakes and dogs. I'm not to worried about this as it's not hard to keep them separated (the bird, rat, and ferret are no longer around)

Finally is there anyone in the sydney area who builds enclosures? or perhaps has a second hand one that they are looking to sell?

Well thats about it I guess, Thanks for all the great information I have picked up from this site and thanks in advance for any help you can give me now.

Jak

I would suggest a Murray Darling (Morelia Metcalfei) as a 1st snake.They are a very docile and gentle python that reaches a common size of what you described but max out at maybe 6+ feet in length.I live in Sydney and build enclosures at reasonable prices (my site is linked below).There is also the reptile barn at St Marys that has all products and supplies.It is a good idea to keep your python seperated from the dog even if they didn't intend on hurting one another it could place stress on the python due to the dog being more active and intimidating it...

build it your self its not that hard just take a look at some of the pics found on this site and on the links. im not a profesional but my friend and i nocked one up in a day with materials from the hardware and it looks pritty dam good and it was a bit of fun too.

if you want your licence back faster ring Parks and Wildlife and say you have a snake lined up allready :)

Maybe a good ole childrens python would be worth considering. A lot of people start out with them because they don't grow too big.
Murray Darlings are great snakes as John already suggested.

sorry Greg i just get alot of enjoyment out of making my own stuff, but its not every ones thing plus the mate that helped me just so hapens to be a shop fitter/cabnet maker by trade :lol:

go a coastal python they may grow a lil bigger than what you want but by that time you will be well used to it and there are pritty cheap to pick up with some having the most amazing paterns. i have one (my first) and my mate has two they are all well behaved they hav'nt yet had a problem, even eating (frozen food) and during sheds. all the coastals that i looked at before buying mine and after, seemed to have a wonderfull nature about them.
:)

COASTALSSSSSSSS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously, yeah, they do

Feeding frozen food wtf do u mean defrosted cause frozen will kill em

Oh my got stevo, put some bloody pants on! ewwwww! lol

I'll make a suggestion:

1) How much do you want to pay for the snake?
2) What snake do you like the looks of?

I think that is a much better idea that what is small and non threatening. The issue is that certain snakes are friendly and big (ie Olives) and others are small and nasty.

My suggestion is have a look at a lot of snakes and give us a short list of what you like the looks of and then we can help you a bit more specifically. Also give us a price range for the snake as that also limits you as well.

Cheers Hawkeye

Thanks for all the advice so far offered, it has been greatly appreciated.

I have done a bit of research on the Murray-Darling (are they also called Inland Carpets?) and they sound terrific (Thank you for the suggestion) and would definitely consider getting one if they meet the final 2 criteria

a. available in Sydney (or easily gotten to Sydney)
b. Cost less than $200 - $250 (could maybe stretch to $300 but would rather not if possible)

I thought about your question Hawkeye and as mentioned above I would like to keep the initial purchase price to under $250 (hope I'm not being unrealistic here).

As far as looks go I really like the dragon looking head (sorry don't know how to better describe it) that some of the snakes I have seen have. I prefer the look of dark snakes with light markings to plain looking snakes and lighter coloured snakes. I have also revised my max length 2m - 2.5m after some consideration.

Thanks again for all the help that has already been offered and thanks for and advice that is yet to come. I'm so glad I found this site before I went ahead and adopted a snake!

Jak

hey simo...................................thats not pailsforscails..well it didnt work for me!!!
There is a link for it in the links section of the site i believe

If you like the boof head look, then you are chasing a carpet python (Morelia) really.
In that price you'll get any of the common carpets, even stretching to a Bredli (not a GTP though.)
For availability in sydeny, that depends on your patience. If you are willing to wait for the next hatchie season, you'll get just about anything in or around sydeny. If you want it NOW! then you may have to freight it or compromise.
Other classifieds can be found on this site or at http://www.australianreptilesonline.com/
but herptrader is about the best one around.

Well, I have found a breeder that has some 6 month old Costals that sound very pretty (black with green markings) so I will be going to have a look at them tomorrow.

What are the things that I should be looking for when I check the snakes out?

Is $250 a fair price for a 6 month old Costal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back