A question regarding snakes in the same room

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cagey

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I like many people keep my snakes in one room. Given snakes are very "taste" sensitive and that womas naturally eat reptiles, What is the impact of the "scent" of each snake on the others?

I know as soon as the rats and mice are warming they display obvious behaviuoral changes due to there scent but is there any impact of the scent of one snake (esp of a differenct species) on the behaviour of others (postive or negative)?

Before anyone throws it out there- this is not a troll.

ive never had a problem , ive got 2 womas and a coastal all of which have been out slithering on the ground in my room the womas have been out seconds after the other has gone back , forgive me if im wrong but i dont think reptiles have a very strong scent most of the time , compared to the other stronger smells that might be in the surrounding environment

I keep one enclosure on top of a cupboard and the other two below it next to each other. Never had a problem where any of the Pythons show aggression towards one another either.
You oftem also see big breeders hold one, two, three Snakes in their hands with no troubles.

I keep one enclosure on top of a cupboard and the other two below it next to each other. Never had a problem where any of the Pythons show aggression towards one another either.
You oftem also see big breeders hold one, two, three Snakes in their hands with no troubles.

I am aware of this yet others on here report snakes kept together can and do attack each other.

Been to a zoo lately or even a reptile park ?

Having said that we have our beardies in the back room -captive bred , if we walk past them with a stimsons they dont flinch , if its the BHP the go for the high tree very qickly and sit low and still until we have gone ,so if we had them next to the bhp constantly i think they would have a shortened life expectancy from the stress

The breeder where I gt one of my snakes from he had his womas in the same room as his water pythons, bredlis, darwins and black heads. They all seemed 100% happy and not to mention healthy :) I don't think it should affect your womas. If it does, just move them ack to the room theu were previously in, no dramas :)

The breeder where I gt one of my snakes from he had his womas in the same room as his water pythons, bredlis, darwins and black heads. They all seemed 100% happy and not to mention healthy :) I don't think it should affect your womas. If it does, just move them ack to the room theu were previously in, no dramas :)

My woma appears to be the most chilled of my snakes so I don't think she is stressed. However as I am still learning to "read" sanke behaviour I was interested in getting some infomration from more experienced herpers here. I find the beardie respose above interesting and was wondering BORNTOBNUDE if the BHP shows any response to the beardies?

I have had my Bredli, Beardies, BHP and Spotted in the one room, no signs of stress from each other etc.
I keep all three snakes now in the same room, all are actually more calmer, but none bother about the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back