accie enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beney_boy

Reaction score
Hi all, Im gettin my first monitor next week - a cute little WA red sandfire ridge-tailed monitor. I was just wondering what people use for substrate? Ive seen some use red sand and others use.
Also, show me some pics of your enclosures if you can.

cheers, ben.

This is the only photo I have my fella's enclosure but you can pretty much see everything.
003-1.jpg

And a photo of my baby :D
001.jpg

LC is 8 months old and grown heaps since the tiny, gecko-like lizzy I first brought home. I bed him on sand. He loves digging and seems to like his home. He hates me :( I know babies are often very timid so I don't handle him very often. Once a week or so I stick him in a container of water to soak while I tidy his tank up. He just starts daring to come to me for food, then one day I go in to catch him. He wriggles like mad :( and yesterday he bit me. He got out of my hands and flew across the loungeroom floor but I managed to catch him. But the ordeal stressed him quite a bit. He was attempting to tail whip me which looked real cute. He is hiding today :( and hasn't been out but hopefully he will forget yesterday quickly. Get him to trust me again and come and get some food. Can't wait till he is settled well and will sit on me without worrying I am gonna hurt him. :D

Just make sure, any of your cage furniture, like rocks, are on the floor of the enclosure, not sitting on the sand. LC loves digging and has attempted to dig underneath his logs and rocks which could squash him had they been on the sand, not down on the floor.

rulewith monitors... no handling till 12 months old at minimum...
theytake time to get usedto you.if you have to chase themjust to handle them your doing more harm than good...
hand feed them, get them used to you being around.
i left my ackies alone unless needed for 18months, now they are great.

Great advice there 20B. I only chase mine when its cage washing time. I spot clean most days then do a proper wash once a week or so. Other than that I leave him alone. But even that much handling upsets him for a few days afterwards so I am reluctant to clean his tank too much. It has to be done and I can't leave him in there. But perhaps he will grow use to it. Its the only time I harass him hopefully he'll get better as he matures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back