Ackie Hatchie...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aslan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Very excited today...

I have had a little Ackie egg cooking away for the last 100 days - he pipped last night - I tore a small hole in the egg to ensure he would get out alright and this morning I found this little fella scampering around the tub...

My female laid 10 eggs - the other nine looked no good and after a few days went off - I had candled this one a few times so knew a little Ackie was going strong and was really hoping it would go full term.

This is the first reptile I have hatched (besides some garden skinks from the yard as a kid) in my little home made incubator and I am wrapped...and as it turns out, today is my missus' birthday so she is all excited that the little guy popped out today - much more excited than I ever expected her to get over my lizards :D

I am amazed at how small the little guy is, and even more amazed at how much smaller than him the egg is...he is already scampering around and basking. Here's hoping the little guy stays well and grows well...so far Ackies have been my biggest learning platform and they continue to be the same...

I apologise for the poor pics but I have a poor camera - they give a fair indication of size though...

Attachments

• P2100023.jpg
    P2100023.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 197
  • P2100024.JPG
    P2100024.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 127
  • P2100025.JPG
    P2100025.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 106
  • P2100026.JPG
    P2100026.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 204
Stainer - As a kid I kept Blueys and Beardies and all the skinks from around the yard - once I grew up, moved out and got myself a licence the first reptile I bought was a young Ackie - I was amazed and am absolutely hooked on Monitors...

I recently bought some young Gilleni as Ackies really sparked my interest. I like my snakes but love my Monitors - fantastic animals to watch...

Oh! it's adorable Aslan!

You'll have to keep him/her :)

TN - I think i'll find it difficult to sell the little guy - really not sure though - recently picked up a trio of 3wk old Gilleni so not sure how much space I have to raise this guy up...he's at least got a few weeks with me while he gets established and I am pretty sure he'll grow on me way too much in that time - I am hoping that next season I will hatch a few and hang on to about four of them...

MrB - Cheers mate...

very nice mate. just remember to keep the humidity high or he will dry out.

that is so fricken cute!

how big do these fellas grow? I've been interested in monitors for ages, but just don't think I've got the room. Would imagine they're fairly active and need a fairly big space

very nice mate. just remember to keep the humidity high or he will dry out.

Thanks for the advice, I have been trying to keep him quite humid...

I have him on damp paper towels at the moment with shallow water bowls. Luckily I am on leave from work at the moment so able to spray him and the enclosure a few times a day too...

How long should I keep up the humidity?

that is so fricken cute!

how big do these fellas grow? I've been interested in monitors for ages, but just don't think I've got the room. Would imagine they're fairly active and need a fairly big space

McScribbles - They grow to about 60cm (max.) and females generally a bit smaller. Two thirds of that length is tail...I keep my adult pair in a 5x2x2 tank...I certainly wouldn't go smaller than 4x2x2, and the larger the better...

Monitors are very active and it's good to have some space for them to run around...

that's what i figured (about them being active) but definitely a managable size. Thanks for the info and congrats on your new Ackie

you little ripper.Thats another monitor in this world to feed baby snakes to LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back