Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon, we had plenty of success with maggots. Grab an empty 2 litre coke bottle, slice off the top 1/3. Insert a mouse into the bottom of the bottle. Flip the cut piece upside down and wedge it down in the bottle. Tape it up around where it's cut. Flies get in and can't get out .. and I mean ALOT of flies - round the 150-200 mark in a day if you place it next to your wheely bin. :shock:
You'll have an established collection of maggots within days - the flies will more likely be found dead within 24 hours.
Be on the look-out though once the maggots start getting big enough. 4mm or so they'll wander up the sides and eventually find their way out. You could probably plug it up (where teh lid bit goes) with some thought. We got to the stage where we couldn't tolerate them anymore and ended up pouring boiling water into it to kill them.

try sticking your hands into a 15cm layer of maggot crap greebo ;)

cheers, jono

I agree Greebo that is one sick hobby. I have a dead chook in my bin from my chicken pen. I had to put it out the front 3 days ago cause it don't smell real good. I would have to estimate a couple hundred thousand maggots, so you could give that a go (lol). Brrrrrr, shudder,vomite. Can't wait for the garbage truck to come!!!!

The wheely bin was covered in maggots and flies after the disposal of a guinea pig which is what gave us the idea to catch em and kill em. Although we keep geckos, we thought maybe we could trap the maggots somehow, gut load them on good foodstuffs then feed them to the geckos .. Buggers me how you can keep them in the trap though, they always manage to escape. Unless you pick them out one by one

Well thanks for the idea varanus, after reading your story i have a coke bottle with mouse setup on my wheelie bin already, no use wasting time. mmmm maggots.

Maggots also come in handy if your spouse is irritating you - they can be boiled, after which they much resemble rice. Use your imagination ;)

Thankyou Adam, you dont know the half of it. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back