Advice for Getting a Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Reaction score
Hi all,

So a couple of months ago I got my first python - a Stimson python and he's been terrific (he turned 1 year old yesterday). I've already got the urge to get another and I'm looking at a jungle python. From what I understand, statistically jungles are much more likely to be snappy / aggressive, although it comes down to the individual.

Given that I'm not too keen on the idea of a super snappy / aggressive python, would I be best trying to find a yearling jungle python? I'm hoping if I did this, a reliable breeder would be able to assess if they think it's too snappy or not.. The problem is, it doesn't seem to easy to find them.

I was thinking of waiting for a hatchling, but then it would be harder to judge its behaviour and whether it would possibly have the chance of taming a little with age.

Cheers,

Mark

from what ive heard the palmerston jungles are the particularly snappy ones and they stay a bit smaller, atherton jungles are meant to be bigger, calmer and nicer coloured.(bit of a blanket statement obviously since its still up to the individual like with any other breeds)

id get a hatchy atherton if i were you, i wouldnt think too many breeders would have time to handle their hatchys to calm them down, youre likely to do a better job of that since you'll have the time.

hahahaah Chris are you on drugs.....i have a palmerston male here who is so placid its not funny if you doubt me ask Dixilizards.....

hahahaah Chris are you on drugs.....i have a palmerston male here who is so placid its not funny if you doubt me ask Dixilizards.....

Which may be why Chris1 clarified the statement by saying - 'bit of a blanket statement obviously since its still up to the individual like with any other breeds' ??

For what its worth SYNeR, my son has a pair of Athertons,that are about 2 1/2 years old, and approximately 6 foot now.
Although they have an extremely strong feeding response :lol: they are really good otherwise.
My son copped maybe a few tags when they were younger, but they are brilliant now.
They were his second and third pythons at age 13.

am i on drugs, lol? i wish,.... u got any!? :p

i did say it was a bit of a blanket statement, and ive heard it from heaps of people!!

my palmies are true to snappy form, lol, well improving now at almost 3 years old, but still dont trust them enough to let them near my face!!
the first year they would strike 20 times a second (sliiiight exaggeration) then flip their tails in a circle and cover everything in reach with butt juice,....id never seen anything so feisty!!

i have 3 trio palmys and they are all evil my sxr jungles are extremly placid

I have 2 jungles that have the greatest nature I have been tagged once from the boy when I smelt like food, I say go for it mate they are a beautiful line. I am hoping to retain the temperament in the babies next year if I hve a successful breed

Thanks for the help.. I've read numerous threads, and like this one it can get a bit confusing.. I guess it comes down to finding the right snake.

Is there any truth behind the more colourful / vivid jungle pythons being more snappy / aggressive? I've read that a couple of times but not sure of the truth in it.. It seems to make sense from an evolutionary perspective as a survival mechanism. More colourful means more likely to attract predators, hence the need to be more defensive?

i dont think theyres any truth in the brighter ones being the more aggressive, its the smaller ones that are said to be more aggressive, which would make sense too,....

We just bought an 11 month old Atherton, Shes really pretty with awesome markings. Shes really quiet, the kids play with her and she hasnt tried to tag anyone and and shes not cage protective.

I believe there are some jungles are there that are placid, you hear a lot about typical jungle temperament, however there are some subject to the rule. I also heard that the more north you go, the more aggressive they get...not sure how true this is, but really - theres not many storys you can believe when it comes to temperament, there is not much information or studies done on this, from my knowledge.

Snakes can bite, snakes can be aggressive, they can aslo be placid and never agressive or ever bite...my advice is handle it first and choose the one you desire, I have done this with all of mine - haven't had one bite me yet.

Yea, it seems that way.. Trial & error.. Made even harder by an inability to find any :\
I guess I should wait for SXR, Snake Ranch, etc hatchlings. The later did a terrific job choosing me the most placid Stimson Python.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the different lines of Jungles?
Is there any particular line that's more docile than others? A quick search shows a few people seem to think
the Krauss line are generally snappier.

if you are concerned about being snappy i think you should reconsider on getting a jungle they have KNOWN bad temperment, stick with MD or coastal bredli or any of the anteresia family

not all jungles are my SXR are placid as but they have there days and they let you know who is boss

We went and visited a good breeder and bought the first hatchie that didn't try to eat us. She is a fantastic snake and 12 months on has still not bitten. She is an Atherton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back