Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in reply to your question photogypsy, no, i dont feel like getting them out just to spend time with them. i have far too many to even if i wanted too.
they are not a decoration, if i wanted a decoration i would buy a ordament, i simply enjoy having there presence in our house, and will be breeding them. i am a very firm beliver that too much handling is stressfull for the snakes. so i choose not to, i give them the respect they deserve. you dont see snakes in the wild being handled every day of the week do you?

Obviously this is a quite divided topic........ Your view is understood.:)

Im hardly a show-off.

So i guess you think all fish owners are just "show-offs"?? because they keep animals they cant touch?

Come on, seriously.
lol... im sure if fish could breath out of water people would hold them:D

All easy to explain, but do you really want to know?

You put anything in a box, and open it pretty good chance its going to come out...

Then put any animal back into that box, and wow it doesnt want to go back in :shock:

If anything I just guessed that if it was so cruel that the snake would want nothing more than to get the hell away from you, not come to you or stay on you.....but I could be wrong!

Come on guys, are you serious?

People keep reptiles for a variety of different reasons, and as such choose to handle or not depending upon these reasons...however, it is absolutely ridiculous and shows quite a bit about maturity levels when it is suggested that people who DON'T handle their reptiles are being CRUEL!?

For the record, I handle my snake roughly twice a week - no hard and fast rule, when I feel like with a lot of thought going in to limiting it...I am, however, under no delusion that the snake could care less for me handling it and would probably prefer that I didn't - I handle the snake because I want to, it is absurd to claim you handle your snake for any reason other than tank maintenance and your own satisfaction...

the ONLY reason i hold ANY of my snakes, is for:
* cleaning of the enclosure
* to take the snake out to feed it
* to give it a all over check
thats it .......................... if i want something to play with, i go play with my daughter. ...

Mel - I apologise if you thought my post was directed at you in some way, it may have been a little muddled but was completely supportive of yourself and others. I find it absurd that people who DON'T handle are being criticised...

...as my previous post stated (maintenance etc excluded) the only reason that can honestly be used for handling snakes is for self-satisfaction and not the emotional well-being of the snake...

Mel - I apologise if you thought my post was directed at you in some way, it may have been a little muddled but was completely supportive of yourself and others. I find it absurd that people who DON'T handle are being criticised...

...as my previous post stated (maintenance etc excluded) the only reason that can honestly be used for handling snakes is for self-satisfaction and not the emotional well-being of the snake...

oh aslan, i know it wasnt directed at me :)
just wanted to make myself clear to others that i choose not to handle :):)

no they dont grow attached if you were to let one out into the wild it would not like humans after a couple of weeks

I take my snakes outside for fresh air, breeze and sun, sometimes in light rain if its warm. This is purely for exercise and a good full stretch out and they get to motor all over the place.
They hang around me for a little while until they feel secure enough, ( or insecure of their human hide) to take off and head for cover. I follow, watch out for birds etc, and not always but quite often they will put on big threat displays like a wild snake when I go to pick them back up.
I think this type of outdoor time is good for their pscycology, and I want to try and keep them as close to natural as I can.
I can guarentee that if I didn't pick them back up they would just keep right on going and not think twice about what a good bloke I am, and how they will miss me.

Very different views but educational

As I am a newbie yet to get my first snake.
It is interesting to read these sorts of posts. I would of thought that given a chance any 'kept' animal (even fish) would take off given the chance as they are basically native animals held in captivity.
Its interesting to read that there are keepers who do and others who don't handle their snakes regularly. I thought that handling them regularly was the way to go.... that what you did when you kept a snake as a 'pet'.
So for me, the more i read different opinions in these posts the better understanding I am getting on how to keep snakes or reptiles.
Cheers:)

I am not criticising anyone about not handling there snake... i am just syaing my opinion!

I only have 10 pythons at the moment some large some small, I handle them as often as I can manage and find some tolerate it and some don't... as for affection i don't believe they have the ability to show affection although when they come up and tickle my nose with their tongues I like to think they are saying "hi mum we love you" even if sometimes I end up with more than I bargained for and get a love bite.

Any volunteers to free handle my 5ft goanna "Grevious" to find out how affectionate he can be :)

ON snakes: I don't think they can display emotions such as affection/love. I think fear/anger/hunger/contentment (after a big meal) is about the range of emotions for a snake.
I do believe that some snakes can recognise their owner ...however this may just be a case of the hand that feeds it.....not Stockholm syndrome.

Hey Greebo while you are in the thread locking mode why dont you have a go at this thread as well

A snake couldn't give a rats what happened to you. They do not have any feeling towards you - that's what I like about them.. kind of like scaley cats :) They do tolerate handling, some more than others ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back