Air rifles!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barely any recoil at all mate, you won't notice it, most of the time it doesnt even shift the crosshairs.
The .177's are good for rabbits, but ammo tends to be a bit more expensive and there is less range.

Subsonic hollow points are good gear for rabbits, and very quiet, so you can easily get more than one shot off if they don't know you are there. Usually only about $6-$7 for a box of 50.

that .22 savage is a good cheap gun, my g/f has one and its a handy, light little rifle that was extremelly accurate.
one that looks simulare but cheaper still is a mossburg plinkster.

fook that, if I lived on 100 acres, I'd apply for a rural shooters licence (otherwise known as "Primary Production" - which means you can legally purchase and own military style, semi automatic assault rifles of up to .50cal (Primary Production - Either the owner, lessee or manager of land used for the business of Primary Production)

This means you could own a .223 (effectively a 5.56 NATO round) Civilian Purpose (Usually a factory semi auto) Steyr AUG, or an AR-15 or any number of other super cool guns that our over reactive government has otherwise labeled as illegal for most Australian citizens.

In NSW, you can specifically own a cat A, B or C rifle on this permit, with the cat C being the fun stuff - 10 round mag, self loading, centrefire.
It specifically does not allow "Rifles adapted for Military Purposes" - however, this doesn't stop you from owning the "De-Milled" civilian release models of these guns.
Essentially, they are the same weapon in every way shape and form, but they differ in being listed as a civie round spec rather than the NATO round, as mentioned above in relation to the Steyr. Also the Civie release Steyr is factory Semi Auto not full auto.

A mate of mine bought a big piece of land out west just so he could get this licence... bit of a gun nut hahaha

http://www.guncity.co.nz/223-xidg28289.html these are all examples of what would come under a NSW Cat C licence as described by the NSW Police firearms licencing site.

As you can see, there are some very "military" looking weapons there, but they do not breach the rules of Cat C, because they are purpose built, factory released as civilian release models of the well known military rifle, not an "adapted (modified) military rifle"

Last edited:
thanks guys
i didnt think they would have much recoil and yeah i was looking at a few savage 1s.
mayhem lol im not a gun nut i would just like to have 22. just have fun shooting cans and stuff and maybe some rabbits.
ay serpents i dont mind spending a fair bit i could prob get 1 for about 500-600 cause it can take up to 8 weeks to approve a license and its not like im getting the forms tomorrow lol so i got plenty of time

Why have a gun when you can have a weapon!! :D You're crazy if you don't take advantage of that wonderful little gem of a law!

lol don't get a .50, you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway - although that said, you can get some nice accuracy international hardware at .48 lepuar rounds (makes them legal in the Cat A class). A rifle of that quality and rounds that size are for the real high end shooters who wanna reach out and touch someone at 1500m +
Not for you in other words.

However, a nice .223 would be very cool!

hahahaha ok thanks mayhem
i will look into it but my mums still not 100% on a air gun lol i havnt asked about a 22.

she said i could get a air gun but its gonna take some convincing.
my nieghbor has guns i will see if he can teach me to shoot the 22. and just show mum that i can be safe around firearms

if you have a criminal record, you can apply to the courts to have the convictions "sealed" under the spent convictions legislations. This only applies to non violent and non sexual offences, of which are permanent and can never "wiped".

Having these records wiped at ten years doesn't mean they are completely gone, simply that you are no longer legally required to declare them and they will not appear in police checks. They are however available to courts etc if required in future, forever.

For a firearms licence, its technically 5 years of no indictable offences - more specifically: no violent, drug or firearms related offences (depending on the state), however, I've heard that its up to the weapons licencing divisions discression as to whether they will grant the licence (and apparently in most cases wont, until 10 years has passed) - so I guess you could try at 5 years - be honest, they will find *everything* (including juvenile records) - and you can only be told no.

Just spent the weekend shooting,havent been for a while bagged 5 rabbits.There wasnt alot up there as mixo had wiped out quite a bit.I used my mates .22 with a scope and hardly any recoil at all.Tried a few different rounds he had.He has a high powered air rifle over 1400 fps,but they dont hit as hard as a .22.

So if you had a few assault charges and resist arrest 10 yrs ago it should be ok?

I think you will find that an assault charge is permanent and exempt from the "spent convictions" legislation.

However, in relation to a firearms licence, I think you might be able to apply for the licence after 10 years, regardless of the existing record, as you have passed the criteria of the criminal conviction being beyond the 10 year timeframe. This is of course provided that you have no other significant criminal history that is more recent than this.

Basically speaking, any serious criminal (indictable) offences must have been recorded 10 years or more ago in order for you to satisfy the criteria.

As I said though, it mean your automatically going to qualify, each case is taken and considered on an individual case by case basis.

INFO ON COMMONWEALTH SPENT CONVICTIONS SCHEME:

Criminal records
Part VIIC of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth), the Commonwealth "Spent Convictions Scheme" provides protection for individuals with old minor convictions in certain circumstances. The Privacy Commissioner has the power to investigate breaches of the legislation and is also required to provide advice to the Attorney General in relation to exemptions under the scheme.
Spent Convictions Scheme

The Commonwealth Spent Convictions Scheme came into force on 30 June 1990 under Part VIIC of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth). The scheme allows a person to disregard some old criminal convictions after ten years (or five years in the case of juvenile offenders) and provides protection against unauthorised use and disclosure of this information. It covers convictions for minor federal, state and foreign offences, with the protections available varying according to which type of offence (federal, state or foreign) gave rise to the conviction. The scheme also covers pardons and quashed convictions.
There are some exclusions (PDF) from the scheme, but they are very limited. The Privacy Commissioner may also advise the Minister about whether requests for complete or partial exclusions from the application of the scheme should be granted.
Spent Convictions Compliance Notes

The Privacy Commissioner has issued two compliance notes concerning the scheme:
Old conviction information and Commonwealth authorities (compliance note 1/91) - Download in PDF
Old conviction information and non-Commonwealth authorities (compliance note 2/91) - Download in PDF
For exclusions to the Commonwealth Spent Convictions Scheme see: Exclusions.

That's a great gun for a beginner and for vermin/rabbits... It's very light as well if your going to be walking around a bit. Definitely go with a rimfire rifle!
I use a .177 HMR on rabbits and it has to be a head shot if you wanna eat them...;) for a small caliber it can take down anything up to a large roo, with the right shot of course. The advantage the .177 has over the .22 is you can have a shot much wider out and it is very accurate, although not good when the wind picks up.
As mentioned ammo for the .22 is cheaper.
That little savage is a good gun, go for it!

thanks i will have a look now
would this gun be good
Bankstown Gun Shop
22.'s dont have much recoil ay its just like shooting a air rifle just with a tiny bit of push

That's a great gun for a beginner and for vermin/rabbits... It's very light as well if your going to be walking around a bit. Definitely go with a rimfire rifle!
I use a .177 HMR on rabbits and it has to be a head shot if you wanna eat them...;) for a small caliber it can take down anything up to a large roo, with the right shot of course. The advantage the .177 has over the .22 is you can have a shot much wider out and it is very accurate, although not good when the wind picks up.
As mentioned ammo for the .22 is cheaper.
That little savage is a good gun, go for it!
thanks mate yeah i really like the look of it and ive been watching a few on youtube and they seem like a nice gun lol i cant w8...

Now that question leads into a million answers....a gun is only as accurate as the shooter. Having said that, it'll be all you need matey for what you want to do....and that's have some fun.
Learn from that little rifle and once you get your eye in and know how to shoot safe, then move up.....small steps champ....then maybe just maybe, you'll grow up and be CRAZY like Mayhem..... :lol::lol:;)

Oh forgot to mention, IMO an air rifle is a waste of money if you want to shoot rabbits, you'll only injure them and you'll be up for another $500+ for a .22 or something after your first few hunts.
how accurate and distance on a 22.savage aprox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back